Customer reviews

on 29 August 2002
One morning I was happy going about my business, when I found myself feeling rather sleepy, a colored gas filled the room...the next thing I know I was tied to a chair, a mysterious figure puts a CD on...
There's something deeply disturbing about this album, I don't know, maybe it's the fact that within a few minutes we hear a gorgeous string arrangement (you can just imagine the birds tweeting), then straight into a march, then a manic jazz piece! Add to the recipe a big dollop of typical prisoner dialogue and you have this album.
strange? Yes, and its brilliant!
I do own the original issues of these alums, but they never really worked for me, they just seemed thrown together, a collection of music, that's all... but now the tracks are re-sequenced into episode order, all the tracks have been re-mastered and dialogue relevant to the episodes are thrown in (well chosen too).
I await the next two albums...
This is a brilliant release of the music to the Prisoner. There are three volumes and this is the first one. This disc takes us through the early episodes of the TV series.
The album is a great concept. It uses a variety of source materials. The album begins with the genuine opening theme sequence taken from the first episode Arrival. This is the actual sound, as it appears on the TV complete with the sound of the Lotus sports car, footsteps and the gas through the keyhole.
The album also includes music featured in that first episode as well as the following two, The chimes of big Ben and A, B and C.
The CD features the diversity of music styles present in the TV series through original library stock of already established music compositions.
These releases are also unique because they include brief excerpts of dialogue from the actual TV series. We actually get Patrick McGoohan saying things like "I am not a number"
The booklet has some good photos of the series and the general presentation is very good.
The sound on the CD is also very good. The album has a good programme of tracks that offer a great atmosphere of the TV series. I highly recommend this release and the other volumes two and three.
Also to be complete I would recommend the releases from Network DVD that includes the music on CD from the series composers Albert Elms, Robert Farnon, Wilfred Josephs and Ron Grainer. There are two version of that release. There is the three-disc set, which is very expensive, or the highlights CD. Both are excellent. If you were on a tight budget I would suggest you start here because this is truly a great release with the essential elements of the series.
on 30 March 2009
I agree with the above reviews, these are excellent re-issues sound-wise etc, but I was severely disappointed that the harpsichord driven "Alternate Prisoner Main Theme" (The Age Of Elegance) was not included in these releases, as I felt this was one of the best tunes on the whole Prisoner soundtrack...I can only listen to it now on my ancient audio cassette version! (Volume two if anyone is interested in purchasing it-if they can find it!)
on 4 September 2014
Great piece of nostalgia! I would not have been able to name the tracks as they came up but I could relate them to the flow of the series and where they appeared. The voice clips were superb. The quality of the recordings was a little variable but it did convey the atmosphere of the show.
on 26 August 2016