Customer reviews

on 24 June 2003
Not having played the original game before I was a little unsure what to expect, I had expected it to be a bit childish. And, well, it is a bit, but its still fun. Ive spent quite a few hours on it, Its got great controls, some nice mini games to distract you from the main game, and the end of level bosses are tricky but not impossible, but the story sux a little. I dont think I would have bought this game, having played it, certainly not for forty squids, but for 20-25, maybe. Tihs is the sort of game a 7-14 year old is gonna love.
on 4 July 2003
Normally, i wouldn't be seen dead playing an platform game. Im a 13 year old boy!!! I like violence!!! I like football!!! I like anime!!! Only 6 year olds like platform games, right!! Right??
When the original Ape Escape came out, i was 8. It ROCKED. However, i rented it twice, completed it, and never bought it. As I grew older, my tastes in video games swayed from Crash Bandicoot to Metal Gear Solid, from smiling orange creature to a man with a mullet the size of Chichester. I liked GUNS! BLOOD! PLOT TWISTS!
And then this came out. I thought, "hmmmmm..... ill give it a go," but my concience told me, "BUY IT! BUY IT! BUYBUYBUYBUY!"
The next thing I knew, i was in Woolworths, handing 40 quid over the counter with the game in my hands. "AAAAAHHHHH!" I thought, if my friends find out about this, i'm doomed! DOOMED!!!
And then I played it. It was like being reunited with an old friend, and i loved it. Ape Escape is a game where you must catch monkeys with a net, using other various gadgets and playing mini games along the way. The game uses both analog sticks, left for movement, right for using the gadget. (Get it and you'll see.. trust me.) It was more of the same old game i loved 5 years ago, which is its only downside. Lots of people wanted so much more, but its really more of the same. I personaly dont care, but many do.
I decided to throw a quick remark in at school. "IVE GOT APE ESCAPE 2!!" Uh-oh, I thought, why did i just do that? "Ape Escape 2? Sweet! Dude, u gotta let me play it!" "Uh, ok.."
And like that, ive got 10 friends round my house having a tournement of monkey football. I guess you can go off platform games, but not Ape Escape.
VINE VOICEon 9 January 2004
For Ape Escape, read Ape Escape 2. After a successful start on the PS1, the ever original platformer returns for a second outing, this time on the PS2.
In essence very little has changed at all. The innovative control system that set the series apart from the rest (being the first game soley designed for analogue controllers) has now been copied and although its perfectly laid out, has lost a little bit of its sparkle.
The gameplay has remained very much the same too and to a little bit of dismay, almost every gadget you could you in the PS1 version has been carried over, with very little else added!
However, where things have got better are the graphics, which are colourful, bold and beautiful and the monkey's AI. The stars of the show now really do have human brains. They run, hide, attack, man various weapons, swim, dive, have scent and hunger. Each monkey is individual and you must cater for that.
On top of the main game are some helerious mini games to be found, and endless hidden pieces waiting to be unearthed. This is not a game you'll play for a few hours and then put to one side which is aided by the perfectly paced difficulty curve.
Ape Escape 2 is essentially more of the same, but its completely barmy ways (karaoke monkeys anyone?) will have you hooked from start to finish.
on 22 June 2011
After looking at some internet pics and you tube footage from the game I was unconvinced that this game would live up to the original which I played to death.

I've only played a little so far but I'm pleasantly surprised so far, I'd say if you liked th4e first one and want more of the same then it's worth a try
on 19 March 2003
I was a big fan of the original Ape Escape on Playstation One due to the originality of the concept and the fun gameplay, so I was looking forward to this PS2 release with anticipation.
Unfortunately, I have once again found that a sequal to a PS1 game released on PS2 fails to live up to expectations.
The concept hasn't changed and neither has the gameplay, but other than a graphical polish and a few new gadgets the game hasn't got much new to offer. PS2 is capable of so much more than a releaunch of a PS1 title and, like Spyro and Crash, this game fails to make enough changes to make it seem worthwhile .
One change that is noticable from the outset is that the game seems to have been designed for a Japanise audience, and with the names, appearance and little flying 'pets' all clearly influenced by that market it seems a shame that they couldn't be bothered to make some allowance for western tastes.
The game itself is not bad and should keep younger gamers entertained for some time, but hardened gamers should seek thrills elsewhere. If you are new to the game then you won't have a benchmark, but you could do a lot worse than consider the PS1 version and save yourself a few quid.
on 8 April 2005
After throughly enjoying Ape Escape on the Playstation, I purchased this for my Playstation 2. It was just as awesome as I expected it to be. New gadgets, some brilliantly funny moments like the Pink Monkey's song, and the humourous monkeys-watch out for the ones who slap their bums,I nearly died laughing at the likes of that!
There is also the Gotcha Box, which gives you tons of extra prizes such as Monkey Novels, videos, artwork etc.-an excellent edition over the first game!
Overall, this sequel is a lot more light-hearted than its darker, more brooding predecessor, which I did prefer slighty more for that reason.
All the same, I highly reccommend you buy this game-with a third installment currently in production, it's a must-buy for any big Ape Escape fan such as myself! It rocks!
on 7 March 2010
this game is one of the best games i have ever had ,it is so funny so mind testing ,i am in my 80th year and it keeps me on my toes
on 24 January 2013
It's perfect. Good game, it seems new and goes fantastic. I recomend it to childs and parents who whants to enjoy with them.
on 11 December 2012
One of the best playstation 2 games ever. Just wish they would release a proper Playstation 3 one. :( ....
on 3 October 2015