Customer reviews

Parachute
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 December 2014
'Parachute', the Pretty Things 5th studio album (released on E.M.I's newly formed, subsidiary record label Harvest), sees the band operating in the same progressive vein that they occupied on their superb predecessor 'S.F. Sorrow', although on this occasion there is a much looser concept throughout. Following a series of lovely, short tracks that open up this album, things get even more interesting in the middle of proceedings with the juicy power of 'Cries From The Midnight Circus' followed by the gorgeous 'Grass', providing the highlights in my opinion. Make no mistake, this is another superbly constructed work from these guys and it is certainly well worth buying to place alongside 'S.F. Sorrow' in your record collection. There are also a number of solid bonus tracks included here which round things off very nicely indeed.
on 4 March 2017
It's a true masterpiece of psych and prog rock.
I thought a lot in choosing albums between this one and S.F. Sorrow. However I think Parachutes is the most successful album of the band and I highly recommend it. Maybe later will buy S.F. Sorrow too.
I find many parallels with modern indie and alternative rock bands, who certainly were inspired by the work of this great band. Of course owners of the first editions are happy to own it. If you can not afford the first edition, I will recommend this repress.
Good job Madfish! Thank you!
on 12 December 2009
I first bought this as an LP back in '73 purely because the Hipgnosis cover caught my attention in the record shop (Note to Ampar's review!) and I still listen to it at frequent intervals and with equal enjoyment to when I first heard it. Most relevant comments as to how it should have been up there with other "Classics" of its time have been made in other reviews. So all I'll add is that if you like well-crafted, slightly 'Heady' music, especially of the type on 'Side Two' of Abbey Road, then this should definitely be added to your collection. Rolling Stone magazine were right to make it their 1970 album of the year.
on 20 June 2016
Fantastic album
on 22 July 2016
got this on vinyl when it came out and listened to it almost every day. now I can play in the car too. never fails to impress. smashing album.
on 24 April 2015
A true rock classic that begins with an almost Can like industrial sound with fiery drumming which then segues into a suite of beautiful lyrical & mostly acoustic songs with spiraling/complex vocal harmonies combined with Fx & sitar & harpsichord (the 1st 5 songs). The dynamite hard rocking prog songs utilizing excellent guitar & mellotrone including Sickle Clowns, She's a Lover & Cries from the Midnight Circus (a longish & brilliantly developed song & dissertation on the underbelly of city life) & an absolutely cracking production from Norman Smith (of early Pink Floyd fame). The final coda song Parachute with its building oscillator sound & intricate harmonies allows the listener to leave on a sonic & philosophic high hard to beat. The original album was voted album of the year by Rolling Stone muso journal in 1970 & why it didn't sell like hotcakes will be forever a mystery as it is easily 1 of the best rock music releases ever & displays an incredible band in top form.

The remaster is excellent, the booklet is very informative & with the wonderful addition of 6 awesome tracks (proper tracks, not spurious demo's with mostly there new guitarist P. Tolsen a master guitarist who utilized the wah wah pedal exceedingly well). This album is up there with Pink Floyd, Led Zep & the Rolling Stones at their zenith. A wonderful album that only gets better with each listen. A must buy for any discerning rock music fan. My only quibble is that I would have loved it to be a double album because the music is superb. 10/10
on 17 February 2013
Until recently I was only familiar with the band's earlier output, however, a chance encounter with a vinyl copy of this album that a friend found in a charity shop changed things for the better. Being a big fan of the S.F. Sorrow LP I didn't think that any of their later output could compare, but a short burst of side 2 (the track "Grass" to be specific) got me hooked and proved me wrong.

To my ears this is a 5 star album. The production and songwriting are great from start to finish and the bonus tracks are a real treat. There are very few albums that I can listen to repeatedly when driving and this is one of them. In fact this album is good for most listening environments.

I'm now on a quest to find a UK 1st press vinyl copy of this album which will probably prove to be very difficult as I believe that this record sold surprisingly badly on release. Don't pass this one by, buy it!
on 20 June 2009
Back in 1970, this was the first ever stereo LP I ever bought and, listening to it on a stereo system put together with my brother based on a pair of Mullard 5-10 amps (now they were great!), it absolutely blew my mind and turned me on to psychedelia and all that stuff.

But, listening to it from time to time over the years it continues to affect me and has become one of my all time favourites. Strangely, unlike much from those days this just refuses to age (unlike me...). Some call it a classic, I just call it brilliant.

As a piece of British psychedelic rock it is almost unbeatable and the mixture of smooth vocal harmonies, edgy guitar riffs and magical vocals all backed up by a tight rhythm section pre-dates much of what we have heard since and beats most of it hands down. As has been said elsewhere if many of today's bands could put together songs like these with the range of expression and level of creativity we'd have a much healthier music industry. Whereas many of those that followed found fame and fortune, The Pretty Things fell foul of bad management and bad decision-making - which is a shame because this and "S F Sorrow" really are the peak of their output.There's not a bad song here and the stream of music created by the programming of this album just washes over you.

It's so good I tend to have to ration myself on how often I play it because I'm almost afraid the sheer joy I get when listening to it just might fade, and that would be a shame.

Forget the age of this, forget the history of the Pretties and just give this a try with an open mind as if is was released today and let it take you over.
on 24 October 2001
this c.d is a must buy,every one should own it.
track number 4(in the square) sounds very much like a radiohead song(paranoid android) see ya in court boys......
all the songs just melt into each other with the beatles/beachboys/bryds harmony drifting like the smoke from a hendrix joint.i play it every day and my heart tells me NOTHING ELSE COMES CLOSE.
from the good looking one in THEE TRANSMISSIONS.
on 17 June 2015
I love this album, it has been a favourite since 1970. That said why are people saying it was Rolling Stone album of the year in 70 or 71? It should have been, but sadly it wasn't. In 1970 Rolling Stone album of the year was John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band and 1971 it was Simon and Garfunkel. The Pretty Things weren't even in the list for either of those years, despite what any website may say ( I was an avid RS reader back then ). I remember Parachute being virtualy ignored at the time because major league albums were being released on a weekly basis.. Zeppelin III, Beatles, Stones, Floyd, in fact most artists from that period put out what were to become classic albums, and yet Parachute sits comfortably along side all of those albums.
Check this out...In 1975, Rolling Stone critic Steve Turner even wrote that it had been "a Rolling Stone 'album of the year'," though in fact Parachute did not place among the magazine's Albums of the Year for 1970 or 1971, and indeed was not mentioned in Rolling Stone until Stephen Holden called it an "obscure underground classic" in his review of Freeway Madness.