Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 February 2004
Hairspray the musical is based on the excellent original film, but the music is even better. The soundtrack is a joy to listem to from start to finish. The first song on the soundtrack is "Good Morning Baltimore" a very upbeat number that leaves you wanting more, as the CD goes on it just gets better and better ending on a high with "You can't stop the beat". My favourite song is "I can hear the Bells" where Tracy declares her undying love for Link.
The CD has all sorts on it, sad, happy, funny songs but they all have the 1960's feel to it, making you wish you were part of that era.
on 16 November 2002
I recently went to see Hairspray on Broadway and must say what a great musical it is! I don't think it will be remembered as much as such musicals as Les Miserables and Miss Saigon but it certainly is the producers of the moment. Bursting with bright up beat songs the soundtrack features the origional cast include a young girl called Marrisa Jaret Winouker who plays the lead with her squeeky voice capable of great power she leads a strong talented cast to bring us a fantastic album! Matt Morrison makes a very good Link Larkin with a powerful rounded voice and a super bond with Marissa. Get this album if you love musicals (its a must have!) or love music like Grease with an up-beat and slightly cheesy narritive!!
on 12 January 2009
I bought this recording of 'Hairspray' for my partner who loved the film but as I have seen many shows and own many recordings of musicals I thought that getting a CD of the actual broadway cast recording would maybe be a more authentic option.

We were not dissapointed. Although the actor playing Mrs Turnblad has a seemingly grating voice at first, we started to warm to it the more we listened. The rest of the cast are excellent, strong voices and possessing that rare ability to paint a picture merely by using sound, and although I still prefer John Travolta as Mrs Turnblad overall I think this is a better 'Hairspray' soundtrack than the film.
on 29 June 2010
Having been to see the show in Southampton, I wanted to hear the songs again and this was the only album I could find - it was even on sale at the show itself. The trouble with it is that it is a US cast recording and the guy who played Ma Turnbladt has a very irritating sound. That said, this was at a fantastic price on Amazon and all the memorable songs in the UK show are on it ....plus a couple that I don't think made it to these shores. In the absence of a UK cast recording, you should go for this.
on 20 October 2014
Bought as an aide for learning the music! The only issue is the main song I need to learn is written in a higher key in the musical score than it is on this recording!! But nevertheless the quality is fine
on 26 August 2013
this being the original broadway production of hairspray, is one of the best musicals ever ! if you love matthew morrison from glee you should buy this ! great songs amazing show on stage ! love hairspray !
on 2 April 2013
I have been in love with the movie of this musical for years and only recently (due to actually performing the show playing amber) did I become familiar with the Broadway version and I love it! This cd is great and will put anyone in a good mood :D
on 1 March 2010
Having been to see the show at the Shaftsbury Theatre in London we had to have the sound track, just a pity that Amazon only had the Broadway sound track and not the original London cast. The show with Michael Ball & Company was brilliant, the happiest 2 hours at the theatre in many a while. The cast from Broadway is first class and the CD bursts with the enthusiasm of the production. My best buy for a long time
on 12 February 2010
Wanted to provide a number of guests that had been invited to watch the West End show a souvenir of the musical.
Although obviously not the same cast members, the reproduction does the show justice.
Worked out much less costly than buying from the theatre!!!
on 21 September 2013
I love the show hair spray and i went to see the musical out standing and great cast and wonderful charcarters and great sing and dancing and big hit love the muiscal