on 18 August 2014
A Blast from the past. I played this (as an LP) a lot of years ago. Never thought I would be able to buy it on CD. In my early years,as I say, I played this incessantly,as you did in those days. Surprise,surprise, I knew every note when I played the CD.This is the Chicago that I knew,not the current version. One of the top 3 all time biggest selling bands. I doubt that this would ever be recorded today. They went into the studio and pretty much,just laid down these tracks just as they wanted them to be. Generally described as "brass rock" by people who like to have labels on music, this is the definitive sound of a band of misicians on top of their game,doing something they obviously love. Track length varies,depending on how the mood takes them.
Anyhow, I would just say Listen, with your ears, to a masterpiece. Overstating the case? I don't think so.
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 November 2015
What a ground breaking album this was! The bluesy rock and fantastic horn section making for one of the most original and greatest sounds of the time - if not all time. I won't repeat all that has been said by others regarding each track, but must add that the recording and production really is superb and this version is as good as recorded music gets!

If your sound reproduction system is capable of doing justice to the CD or SACD remastered recordings on this disc, you will be rewarded with a realist and naturally dynamic sound that is quite phenomenal!!!!

After all these years, my only reservation still is, how did they go from this - and their second album - to the mushy pop ballad kaka they are better known for?!?!
on 6 February 2017
One of the first albums I bought, along with Sgt Pepper and Deep Purple In Rock. I grew up with rock and pop in the 60s, but CTA introduced me to jazz-rock and big band music. This is a wonderful collection of rock, pop and jazz tracks, with politically tinged lyrics (that would not be out of place in today's USA) and excellent musicianship - Terry Kath's guitar solo on Poem 58 is an absolute highlight, and the song-writing, ensemble playing and brass arrangements are outstanding throughout. I also think I'm a Man is one of those rarities: a cover version that is better than the original. Maybe Free Form Guitar is the one weak link: a track I usually skip. I have quite a few Chicago albums, mostly on vinyl, and after CTA, my favourites are 2, 5, 7 and Night and Day (their contemporary take on big band classics - check out Caravan and Take the A Train). Like other reviewers I was disappointed with their move towards AOR ballads, but there was something interesting and unusual on most of their albums (such as Street Player, featuring Maynard Ferguson, on 13). I have seen them live three times over the years, from the 70s to the 00s, and each time they have shown what a great rocking outfit they are.
on 10 July 2015
The first album by the stellar band! For me, this is Chicago at their most rocky. The term Jazz Rock, was coined to take in this band alongside, Blood Sweat n Tears and the lesser, Ides Of March. Theres a mix of jazzy experimentation going on here. Their cover of Muff Winwood's, I'm A Man, is rockingly awesome. Released as a charting single, this showcased excellent percussion combining Terry Kath's blistering guitar work. Released in 1969, there is only a brief hint here of the future MOR stylings. This is Chicago sounding tough n ready for active service! Essential listening for anyone who enjoys Brass, Jazz n Rock.
on 16 January 2017
5 stars for the music when played on a domestic CD player. One Star because the sound is so badly distorted (or is completely unreadable/invisible) when used in a computer drive. Impossible therefore to Rip it into a media player. Update: Managed to Rip it on a 12 year old Toshiba laptop. Never throw anything away!!
on 8 December 2015
A superb cd demonstrating the musicianship of a band which had rock/jazz fusion well and truly mastered. There's not much else to say - if you're of a certain age and appreciate such music or remember such music from the late sixties and/or early seventies this cd will not disappoint you.
on 8 April 2016
My 2 vinyl copies ( 1 original and 1 re-issue) have been played to death. In my top 5 best debut albums of all time and I can now enjoy when motoring.
on 6 October 2012
...that's the first word that comes to mind when listening to these virtuoso musos. This one will definitely divide opinion, and all the better for it. From the opening song (the wonderful "Introduction") we're transported back to a time when bands were allowed, nay encouraged to go the extra mile. Take the 15 minute closer "Liberation" and you'll get my drift. Some havn't aged particularly well (the mis-guided "Free-Form Guitar" comes across as an attempt of aping Jimi Hendrix) Still though there's much to enjoy on this (originally double) album, like the pop-tastic "Listen" and the horn-led "Questions 67 & 68". Highly recommended.
on 31 March 2018
Just how I remembered
on 21 December 2016
Chicago when they had brass and drive......before all the 80's smooth and mush. Great memories.