on 4 December 2010
Blue States work is not as accessable as Air or Zero 7, but it is on par with the best chill-outputs. All BS albums are classic in their own way, "Nothing changes under the sun" is probably the best one to start and then "Man Mountain", but is a close call. I am not picking out any tracks as they all have merit in their own way.

BS music grows on you and the more it is played the more you can find to be able to shut out all other things on your mind. It does have it's own distinct sound which seems to arrive from a distant place and takes you off there. If you like this then the "Soundings" is a superb next step, but you will need to play it more.
on 29 August 2002
Yes the first album was a classic and everybody has probably got a copy but this is not worth the cash.
Most tracks are irritating and at some point and you just have to hit the fast forward.
It all sounds as though there was too much pressure and everybody was trying way too hard.
My copy hit the bin within 24 hours - I was that disappointed.
With new stuff from Thievery Corporation & Nightmares on Wax about to arrive spend your money there.
6 people found this helpful
on 20 August 2002
"Nothing changes under the sun" is one of my most listened to CDs of the last 10 years. Sadly "Man Mountain" isn't going to be. Where as "NCUTS" had a flow, had ethereal coolness and was gently soothing, "Man Mountain" is disjointed and rarely becomes soothing. Don't get me wrong, individual tracks can be stunning and majestic and the production throughout is nothing short of brilliant, but it doesn't hang together. Unfortunately some of the tracks have that "great at the start - irritating at the end" quality that makes you want to skip the last bit of the track and get to the next one. The vocalist used doesnt seem to fit the style.
This isn't a bad CD, it's just not like the first one and not as good in my opinion. There is nothing as good as Heroes' Elegy, Arion, Your Girl or Elios Therapia here.
Trying too hard maybe.....
9 people found this helpful
on 29 March 2003
This is starting to become something of a habit, seeing people reviewing things on Amazon purely on the basis of a previous album that the artist has done. As with Kinobe's outstanding second album, 'Versebridgechorus', this album is being slated for being different to its predecessor. I have no idea why, as 'Man Mountain' is clearly fantastic.
This is the only Blue States album I have, so I am reviewing it purely on its own merits. It's smoother and silkier than a very smooth and silky thing in a silk shop, and unlike some, I actually enjoyed it from the first listen. Very lazy beats combine with sublime acoustic guitar and piano work, some brass, electronic sprinkles and strings. Some parts of it vaguely remind me of the awesome Air soundtrack to 'The Virgin Suicides', but not as dark or dramatic, and with longer tracks (The Virgin Suicides is fantastic but too many tracks are cut short). The vocals on a couple of tracks are excellent, but the music itself is way better - just the sort of thing to laze around to, always engaging, thoughtful and funky but never becoming a boring background like some chill that you find.
I actually consider the aforementioned Kinobe album to be way better than their first, so when I increase my Blue States collection I am geared for disappointment - This album is very impressive, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes quality chilled music such as Kinobe, K&D, Thievery Corporation, St. Germain, Zero 7, etc.
15 people found this helpful
on 2 December 2014
NOT BAD! But not anywhere near as good as the debut. Yes there are some cracking tracks there for sure but it's not as good as I thought it would be im afraid. If you are new to Blue States you may love it, but me, I am a massive fan of album No1. Sorry! Even if I was to not compare this to anything else it does lack something FOR ME. Great production and nice vocals but it just didn't take me to another place which I expected. Above average but not as good as original album get nothing changes under the sun It blows this out of the water.
on 13 October 2002
Like many other people, I bought this album on the strength of the previous one 'Nothing Changes Under the Sun' - and I had to remind myself that when I first got that album it took several plays before it grew on me - it was exactly the same with this album.
This is not an album you should review after a single play - there's no rush to be first on Amazon! Give it a little time and you'll find there are some great tracks (some forgettable ones too - as with any album). The style is definitely different here - with more variety than NCUTS. What's impressive is there are proper songs on this album, rather than just instumental tracks with a few words over them. 'What We've won' has got a great build up (and is my fav track), while the ensemble singing in 'Season Song' is reminiscent of Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick in the Wall'. The songs really shine out over the instrumental-only tracks, perhaps this is where the other reviewers tripped up on this album.
In short if you liked NCUTS as much as me, I doubt you will be disappointed with this album. Give it some time, because the artist has moved on - let's hope it's not without his fans.
12 people found this helpful
on 19 January 2005
At 43 i am perhaps one of the older reviewers for this type of music.My interest started after going to Ibiza a few years back.
Being a big fan of Zero 7 and Air i was pleasantly surprised when i bought NCUTS.Its a mighty fine album.
I bought Man Mountain a few months ago and feel its as good as anything the 2 previous groups mentioned have done.
The use of Tahita Bulmer as vocalist in many of the songs especially for me Only Today and Adrift was a stroke of genious.There is a warmth and depth to her voice which works fantastically well with the rich orchestration of a terriffic album.
A close your eyes and let the music carry you to a higher level album.
I liked the album so much i decided to buy there latest album The Soundings.Every group has to grow i guess but for me they took to big a step away from the music i love them for.
I thank them for the pleasure they have given me with there first 2 albums and i hope for there sake they can create a new fan base for the new music or that fans stick with them regardless.
If it doesn`t work fellas start writing film scores you`ll make a mint.I wish you all well for the future.
5 people found this helpful
on 13 May 2004
I bought this album on a whim when I saw how cheap it was. I have to say that I was mightily impressed. It really keeps the interest going with some damn fine arrangements. And the towering Season Song is on repeat right now.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 July 2002
Listening to "Man Mountain," with it's lush orchestration, broad cinematic sweep, infinitely catchy tunes you can't help draw comparisons to the likes of Zero 7 and Goldfrapp. Mainly because once again here we have an album of exquisitely crafted songs with plenty of heart and soul.
I must admit to being initially pleasantly surprised to see this album featuring far more vocals than the debut LP "Nothing Changes." These sweetly melancholic vocals provided by Tahita Bulmer permeate throughout and there is even a choir on the blessed and uplifting "Season Song."
It's not just more of the same from Blue States, "Man Mountain" is far more impressive and on a much grander scale than it's predecessor... and that album was essential, so you decide!
21 people found this helpful
on 27 September 2002
After a glorious debut album, much was expected from Blue States.
Man Mountain however does not deliver.
Although not a bad album in any way, Blue States had a lot to live up to.
The style differs from Nothing Changes Under The Sun, with a great deal more vocals.
Buy this album if you're a die hard fan of the genre, but otherwise, buy the debut, or look towards Bonobo or Thievery Corporation.
6 people found this helpful