Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£11.99+ £1.26 shipping

Forty-seven Soul killers across 2CDs and hardly a duffer amongst them - not a bad track record by any reckoning for a decade long slew of hits (Ann Peebles certainly knew how to milk a groove). Here are the 'give me some' credits... Released June 2002 - "The Hi Records Singles A's & B's" by ANN PEEBLES on Demon/Hi Records HEXD 54 (Barcode 740155205423) breaks down as follows:

Disc 1 (67:47 minutes):
1. Walk Away
2. I Can't Let You Go (1969, tracks 1 and 2 are the A&B of Hi 2157, B-side non album)
3. Give Me Some Credit
4. Solid Foundation (1969, tracks 3 and 4 are the A&B of Hi 2165)
5. I'll Get Along
6. Generation Gap Between Us (1970, tracks 5 and 6 are the A&B of Hi 2173)
7. Part Time Love
8. I Still Love You (1970, tracks 7 and 8 are the A&B of Hi 2178)
9. I Pity The Fool
10. Heartaches Heartaches (1971, tracks 9 and 10 are the A&B of Hi 2186, B-side non-album)
11. Slipped, Tripped And Fell In Love
12. 99 Lbs (1971, tracks 11 and 12 are the A&B of Hi 2198)
13. Breaking Up Somebody's Home
14. Trouble, Heartaches & Sadness (1971, tracks 13 and 14 are the A&B of Hi 2205)
15. Somebody's On Your Case
16. I've Been There Before (1972, tracks 15 and 16 are the A&B of Hi 2219)
17. I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down
18. One Way Street (1973, tracks 17 and 18 are the A&B of Hi 2232)
19. I Can't Stand The Rain (1973, track 19 is the A of Hi 2248, B-side was "I've Been There Before" (see 16))
20. (You Keep Me) Hangin' On (1974, track 20 is the A-side of Hi 2265, US B-side was "I Pity The Fool" (see 9))
21. Run, Run, Run (1974, track 21 is the B-side of "(You Keep Me) Hangin' On" in the UK on London HLU 10468)
22. Do I Need You
23. A Love Vibration (1974, tracks 22 and 23 are the A&B of Hi 2271)
24. Put Yourself In My Place
25. Until You Came Into My Life (1974, tracks 24 and 25 are the A&B of Hi 2278)

Disc 2 (72:38 minutes):
1. Beware
2. You Got To Feed The Fire (1975, tracks 1 and 2 are the A&B of Hi 2284)
3. Come To Mama
4. I'm Leavin' You (1975, tracks 3 and 4 are the A&B of Hi 2294, B-side non- album)
5. Dr. Love Power (1975, track 5 is the A-side of Hi 2302, the B-side was "I Still Love You" (track 8 on Disc 1))
6. I Don't Lend My Mind
7. I Needed Somebody (1975, tracks 6 and 7 are the A&B of Hi 2309)
8. Fill This World With Love
9. It Was Jealousy (1976, tracks 8 and 9 are the A&B of Hi 2320)
10. If This Is Heaven
11. When I'm In Your Arms (1977, tracks 10 and 11 are the A&B of Hi 77502)
12. Old Man With Young Ideas
13. A Good Day For Lovin' (1978, tracks 12 and 13 are the A&B of Hi 78509)
14. I Didn't Take Your Man
15. Being Here With You (1978, tracks 14 and 15 are the A&B of Hi 78518)
16. If You Got The Time (I Got The Love)
17. Let Your Lovelight Shine (1979, tracks 16 and 17 are the A&B of Hi 79528, A-side non-album)
18. Heartaches
19. I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love (1980, tracks 18 and 19 are the A&B of Hi 80533 - Single-only release)
20. Be For Me (Alternate B-side for "Heartaches" - track 19)
21. Mon Belle - Amour
22. Waiting (1981, tracks 21 and 22 are the A&B of Hi 81534, Single-only release, both sides feature DONALD BRYANT)

The 12-page booklet features track-by-track writer credits, catalogue numbers and chart placing. Well-written Mick Patrick & Malcolm Baumgart liner notes give a detailed history of her stay at Hi Records with Producer Willie Mitchell - and the excellent mastering has been done by PETER RYNSTON at Tall Order in the UK.

Along with Al Green, Syl Johnson, O.V. Wright and Otis Clay (her label mates at Hi) - Peebles had an extraordinary 7" singles career on the American Billboard R&B charts - eight in the top fifty (" Pity The Fool" and "I Can't Stand The Rain" hitting 7 and 6 respectively) with the rest inside the Top 100. The Missouri Gospel singer struck a chord with buyers when her gritty Soul songs filled the airwaves - "Breaking Up Somebody's Home" and "I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down" having since been covered by numerous artists (many in the Rock sphere).

Tunes like Clay Hammond's "Part Time Love" and George Jackson's "Slipped, Tripped And Fell In Love" are typical of her groove - the Ann Peebles sound - gutsy vocals, real world lyrics about heartache, lust and cheating backed up by tight guitars and complimentary brass. But what's so cool about this compilation is getting to hear those 'just as good' B-sides like the aching "I Still Love You" and Don Bryant's "99 Lbs". And then there's those low end chart songs you've forgotten about like Earl Randie's "Somebody's On Your Case" and her superb Soulful take on the Gosdin Brothers country classic "(You Keep Me) Hangin' On".

Like Al Green - the sides Ann Peebles did at Hi Records never seem to date - but only get better as the decades pass as more and more Soul searchers stumble on her musical legacy. Start tearing your playhouse down right here...
on 4 July 2011
If you love soul music, you will adore this. I knew a bit about Ann from "I Can't Stand The Rain", but was unprepared for just how good this music would be. Take some classic Aretha and mix it with Al Green, and you get the feel. No filler, just one classic track after another.

In answer to the previous reviewer, some of the singles duplicated on B-sides which is why there is an odd number of tracks. The excellent liner notations give thorough info on such details as well as US chart info.

An essential part of anyone's soul collection. Buy it, you won't regret it!
on 3 June 2007
What a great set of tracks. If you don't like this there's something radically wrong with you. Just one slight qualm: if this is all the Hi records A and B sides how come there are an odd number of tracks?