Customer reviews

Quelqu'un M'a Dit
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£3.53+ £1.26 shipping

on 4 November 2017
as lovely as ever and easy to listen to.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 September 2006
Just bought this CD today having decided to listen to French music to enhance my learning of the language. What a pure delight her voice is, further complemented by the lovely music. Made my 3-hour drive more pleasurable. If you're thinking of buying this, don't hesitate.
on 9 April 2005
There must be something about this album and York as I also heard this in a shop in York. Carla Bruni's voice is beautiful and this album is great to listen to when you want to sit back and relax. Don't be put off by the fact that all the songs are in French, the music will carry you away and you'll soon forget that this is not in English.
on 5 February 2003
If you know that Carla Bruni is a 'super model' then be prepared to put aside your preconceptions.She has brains and, more to the point, a great voice, to go with those looks. Think Francoise Hardy and you are getting close.Even if you don't speak French (the album is all in that language) it hardly matters. Carla's soft and sultry voice is recorded so crisply that her wonderful songs (and guitar playing) sound like they are being sung in your living room (if only!). Buy this wonderful collection today before word gets out. A very talented debut.
on 28 October 2003
I'm terribly critical and rather curmudgeonly in general, but I liked this album the moment I heard it's first refrains, and at the time I didn't even make the connection between Carla Bruni the chanteuse and La Bruni the Model. Completely unbiased, I was immediately taken by the ingenious syncopations in some of the rat-a-tat texts, as well as by that unpretentious whispering voice. I can't believe that that leggy lady on the catwalk has not only played the guitar but also has written the extraordinary little songs. It gives me a whole new perspective. It also took some convincing for me to believe that she wasn't just the most recent person to adapt to music poems by Jacques Prevert, or whoever: lovely simple thoughts, tight as a drum, and seemingly unstudied--the most difficult kind of text to write. AND she's funny: In le Toi du Moi she sings "you are the hell to my sinner" and "the lemon to my zest". I would say that this album is something for people who like Norah Jones and Jane Birkin. It's only a pity that any music not sung in English is immediately banished to the category "World Music". I hope others manage to find it.
on 29 June 2004
Heard this playing in a shop in York this morning and even though - typically British - I can hardly understand a word I immediately bought it and think it's wonderful. Had never heard of Carla Bruni (just discovered she is actually very famous!) which I think also says much for her ability as she clearly isn't a celebrity jumping on a bandwagon, but a real talent. Buy it!
on 18 May 2005
How bizarre - I too bought this album after hearing it in the Borders bookshop on the M62 (Borders is the main bookshop in York - they must be on commission). I didn't know who it was by, but was taken with it enough to buy it there and then. On getting it home and listening to it properly, I found most of the tracks were excellent, though the closeness (breathiness) of the recording setup does get a bit much after a time. Plus, after a series of slow tracks I found myself longing for a more upbeat track for contrast. In fact, I found that the more upbeat tracks, such as Le Toi du Moi and Le Plus Beau du Quartier actually work the best for me. I would certainly recommend this album, particularly if, like me, you enjoy the sound of the french language.
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 January 2004
When i heard that Carla Bruni was to do a record I was very douybtful about what she would do. It's not the forst time that a model tries to be a singer, and usually it turns up being catastropy. But I was really wrong! This debut album is, I think, unbelievable! It's so impressive, she's not only a gorgeous woman, she wrote amazing lyrics and music as well. What's more, she even plays the guitarre! What more do u ask? The result is a lovely quite album. The lyrics are very simple, but the words are beautiful and humble. They flow like a soft river in her sweet voice. According to me, the best french album of 2003.
on 8 August 2007
So glad a chance read through a friends old copy of the Observer Music Monthly led me to check out Carla Bruni. Who'd have thought it - a beautiful supermodel here found making even more beautiful music.

Of course it helps to have some romantic love for things French - but this is a thing of beauty that should entrance so many more too. Carla has a great sounding, characterful, rich voice, not only helped by the fact that she is using one of the most beautiful sounding languages in the world, but also by the fact that she is singing songs laden with hooks, texture and wonderful intimate, sparkling production.

The arrangements of the guitars - both nylon and steel string used here - behind the vocals is just as sublime - some great lead steel guitar parts. Yes, I do hear some similarities with Norah Jones' band and some of her songs too, and I loved the first Norah album. This has the same spell as that first Norah album had, before it became so huge and overplayed.

It's become my album of the summer, and goes well with things like the Divine Comedy, Bebel Gilberto and Nick Drake - those albums that are a treat to your ears and open your soul.
on 23 August 2007
I cannot add anything else to what has already been written about this album. It is one of my favourites to relax to. It makes no difference to me personally that all the songs are in French, it is just the sound of her voice that is so wonderful.
The guiter sounds good as well. Some of the songs are very catchy. I think track 5 is my favourite.