Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 July 2002
When this was being played in a store in London, I instantly fell in love with it. As soon as the first track starts you know that this is how Gorillaz is meant to sound. All the heavy bass and reverb in the world, all crammed into the zombie-hiphop sound that makes Gorillaz so unique. If you liked the Original, and loved the G-sides album, you'll absolutely adore this. A recommended buy for anyone.
on 4 November 2002
Although some may be put off a second album of remixes of the first Gorillaz album, this is not some cynical rehash of a successful pop group’s limited back catalogue in order to generate extra income for Megabux Recordz Inc., Virgin Islands. Yes they are remixes, and yes they are brilliant. The remixes are brilliant wobbly dub monsters that lurch out of the speakers, grab your hips and set you skanking. They are more than that, though. There is delicacy and pathos here among the sonic booms. But who cares about that; fast forward to the next mental dub! Erm, no, listen to them all, they’re gigantic. And when will Russel, Murdock, 2D and Noodle knock out the next masterpiece?
on 7 February 2004
I don't think there's any way I could even sit through the orginal album, I used to own it though, these remixes are something different and special. I love the modern dub sounds. It isn't Scientist, King Tubby, Lee Perry but it is still good to listen to. The delay suits Damon's voice very well. I am NOT a blur fan!
on 2 January 2007
This is one of the best CDs I've bought in ages.

Definately not everybody's thing. Slowed down, meandering mixes of the original tracks (often drastically changed, like 'De-Punked') won't appeal to everyone. One of my best friends doesn't like what he's heard from it at all.

Personally, though, I think it's brilliant. I especially like 19/2000 (Jungle Fresh), Slow Country (Strictly Rubbadub), and Re-Hash (Come Again). They're so different from the original versions; It's a completely different sound, but it works really well.

As I write this, I keep feeling like I ought to recommend this album to a certain kind of person, but I'm finding it very hard to do so because I've never heard anything like this.

I suppose if you're into dub and like Gorillaz it's an obious choice. If you're just a Gorillaz fan and haven't listened to dub before, it's hard to say whether or not you'll like it. I did, anyway. Buy it if you want to take a bit of a leap into the unknown. You might be pleasantly surprised like I was.

Five stars. Absolutley excellent in my opinion, but it certainly won't be to EVERYBODY's tastes.
on 25 May 2011
Laid back grooves, heavy dub bass lines and a much slower vibe make this album brilliant for lazing around in the sunshine. The Space Monkeyz have found a load of reverb and bass filters and they weren't afraid to use them!

All the songs come from the Gorrilaz debut album, and classics like "Clint Eastwood" and "A1/M1" have been totally transformed into something like a reggae dub fusion.

I don't smoke, but if I did, this is the album I'd want to light up to!!!
on 18 June 2005
This is a fantastic concept for Gorillaz and Spacemonkeyz to try. If you don't like dub, steer clear, if you do, buy this album. I'm hoping the same thing is attempted for the second Gorillaz album. I'm so glad I gave this album a chance, because it's proved itself and then some.
on 13 June 2014
this album I bought because I happen to like damon albarnes work with gorillaz and I have to say that I like this one as well a bit more far out ,a bit on the skunk side if you know what I mean ,well the little amount of money I paid ,brand new as well
By the way Laika of the title was a dog the Russians sent into space on a one way ticket they say it lived for a few hours to a day
on 31 March 2015
I dont have many dub albums in my collection, i bought this due to the Gorrillaz connection, but i love it. Only 4 stars as I would have liked to have heard the full lyrics on most of the tunes not just the odd sample here and there.
on 8 August 2015
Seriously good !

Ok I love the Gorillaz and Blur so a little biased.

If you like a bit of dub or 'white mans reggae', as it's sometimes called then this is right up there !

Reminds me a little of the dub The Clash used to do but far more refined.

Even if you arn't really into dub/reggae but like Blur/Gorillaz/Albarn then this really is top quality stuff; as good as any main stream album they've done !
on 6 November 2010
This CD by Gorillaz is dub reggae based, with influences of UB40 and Zion Train. It is something different, and the Gorillaz stamp of originality is definitely on this one. It's a bit floaty - trancy which I found an enjoyable laid-back sound, suitable for listening to when driving or when you want something easy-going to work to, as well as dancing to when the mood takes you. Or what ever. Good for dinner-parties too. If you like the Gorillaz and reggae then I'd recommend this to you.