• So

Customer reviews

So
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 September 2017
I love this album ever since I heard it first time back in the eighties. It has a unique combination of energy & subtlety. With beatiful melodies supported by great grooves and creative arrangements. Maybe you think Sledgehammer and Don't give up are over the top but when you listen to them today with a fresh mindset you probably recognise that this is probably due to the fact that you've heard them too often.

I find that they still sound relevant and have stood the test of time. That groove of Sledgehammer with the energetic horns pushing you into one of the most melodic and powerful baselines in pop music, tight drums and the nicely sarcastic/funny lyrics... I don't get bored by it!
One of my other favourites is In Your Eyes. A classically beautiful melody driven by an understated groove.

The reissue in this boxset is IMO the ultimate version mainly because of the excellent vinyl that comes with it. For a change any re-mastering and new pressing equipment have not ruined the dynamics and soundstage. To the contrary, this is the best sounding version of So that I have. More dynamic lows without it feeling hyped than the original pressings I have. And even a bit more clarity and detail. I usually associate this with the excellent re-issues by Analogue Productions or Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab. I would say that this vinyl is of similar quality.

In all other aspects (print quality, finishing of the box and sleeves) this box set is lovingly made.
Just one negative remark: at this kind of price I would have expected some good quality (anti static, soft plastic)inner sleeves.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 March 2014
Difficult to believe this album is pushing 30; still fresh and vibrant. I don't follow the sellout to commercialism view expressed by some when So was first released. The Kate Bush and Laurie Anderson tracks are soul searching. Sledgehammer remains as a Motown inspired classic and in my view, there isn't a bum track on this album. For the price of two singles, incredible value to have a remastered album. I love it.
on 23 March 2017
Brought 'SO' many memories back from the 80s. A must for all Gabriel fans,even if your not a fan you must add this to your collection. Triple cd comes with 4 free postcards which are cool also fab price.
on 1 March 2017
A timeless album. For me there are a number of moments which are just spine tingling: the moment Kate Bush enters on 'Don't give up' and the frantic drumming in the dying seconds of 'Sledgehammer' to name but two!
on 4 September 2017
very good
on 7 September 2017
Fine
VINE VOICEon 3 January 2015
Uh-oh... I'm growing to hate the word "remaster" - it usually tends to mean that the volume has been increased almost to near-distortion levels - and in some cases, "remix" would actually be more appropriate, as the drums have been re-recorded (or more likely, reprogrammed!), the bass has been turned up or vocals auto-tuned.

With this in mind, I'm somewhat delighted to say that "So" suffers from none of the above. In fact, it sounds absolutely V A S T. You probably already know that "So" was Gabriel's most commercial record, spawning a number of hit singles in the mid-80s (including the legendary "Sledgehammer"), so I likely don't need to mention that it includes a duet with Kate Bush or contains the fabulous "Red Rain", "That Voice Again" and "Big Time" - but what I will say is that it sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday - it's fresh, crisp, sonically excellent and rhythmically superb.

The inclusion of the live album on 2 additional CDs makes for interesting listening. The songs from "So" are dispersed throughout the live set, so we are also treated to a snapshot of songs which date from before "So" was released - including "Games Without Frontiers", "Solsbury Hill" and "Biko".

I've played "So" some 20+ times now and I can't believe how well it's stood the test of time. This remaster serves as a reminder that it was a well recorded & produced album in the first place, but also that not all remasters suffer from "the loudness wars". It's a superb album which, when played through decent stereo equipment, sounds simply sensational.
on 16 December 2012
The Remaster sounds better. The Extra's are Great and the package does it all.
Though it does cost a Buck; it's worth it. The Athens show on DVD and CD are great, this was Peter at it's best.
I saw the concert twice and saw Peter on every occasion ever since and will be going to see him again in 2013 with the "Back To Front Tour", but I just love this tour; just listen to "Games Without Frontiers" and you'll know what I'm talking about. Even within the package also the classic album DVD; great to see how it was made back then. Personly I did not really care for the Vinyls, but there is also the Digital Download with the extra's which did not make it on the album. A large picturebook completes the Box Set. This package is for Fans. And I think I am one of them!
on 10 January 2015
my husband was thrilled with this - already on our media book
on 5 January 2016
Got this for my Dad as one of his Xmas presents. He was over the moon.