Customer reviews

on 23 September 2002
I bought this not knowing quite what to expect. Having been into the skinhead/ ska sound for only a few years, I was not sure if, when I put this on, I may be dissapointed... I WAS NOT !!!
This collection is superb. It evokes, like the blurb on the sleeve says, a sense of a time when skinhead culture was refined and at the cutting edge.
Its feel good music with tons of attitude heaped on.
Some of the tunes on this collection I already knew (ie: Hee Cup, Wiggle Waggle and Skinhead Moonstomp). The test is if they stand out as being the best on the album, or did they blend seamlessly with the rest? They do. All the tracks (50 of the beauties) are blinding. Admittedly the 3rd cd is very much more the typical reggae sound, rather than the "ska" roughness, of the first 2 cds. But its all great...
If you've never heard the early skinhead sound, but enjoy the tones of the Specials, Madness or even Bad Manners (!) buy this !!! Get a taste of the original...
I can't praise this collection enough... 10 stars !!!!!!!!!
on 19 August 2010
I own a few other Trojan box sets and i have to say this is by far the best. It has all the songs you would expect and much more like king horrors - loch ness monster, and it does have the song skinhead moonstomp as the 3 star review says it doesn't.
Each cd has diffrent feel depending on what mood your in but id have to say that disk one and three are the best
on 9 May 2013
Having been well into the skinhead scene from the mid seventies and an avid collector of Trojan on vinyl through the eighties I was cautious, am cautious, about anything packaged as 'skinhead' due to the vast amount of rubbish released under that banner. In this instance I need not have worried to much. In fairness, CD three you can take it or leave it (in my opinion) as its the usual skinhead bandwagon sounds but the first two CD's more than justify the purchase price. Overall a journey through 60's reggae instrumentals culminating, for me, with 'Death in the Arena' by Rupie Martins All Stars. This was, is, and will always remain the ultimate skinhead anthem and evokes in me memories of a pre Two Tone era long lost. Yes, I'm in my 50's but still recognise a boss sound when I hear it.
on 23 September 2002
Its feel good music with tons of attitude heaped on.
I can't praise this collection enough... 10 stars !!!!!!!!!
on 7 June 2010
Here you have one of the best Trojan box sets, that collects 50 reggae tracks from the late 60's and early 70's, when Jamaican sounds ruled in the skinhead scene (and dancefloors).

The classics sit alongside the rarities (lots of tracks appear for the first time in CD), so this is a perfect anthology for both the connoisseurs and casual fans of the genre. Some highlights in the all-killers-no-fillers tracklist: 'Mix Up Girl' by The Creations, 'Copy Cat' by Derrick Morgan, 'Zapatoo The Tiger' by Roland Alphonso, 'Wiggle Waggle' by The Wanderers, '2.000 Tons Of T.N.T' by The G.G. All Stars or 'Loch Ness Monster' by King Horror.

The sound is correct, as the packaging and liner notes about the skinhead scene. And, for the low-price, you couldn't ask for more.
on 8 March 2015
Typical Trojan quality tunes, simple as that.
All you would expect from the reggae label.
on 9 December 2016
Love it ... been after this CD collection for a while and spend many walks plugged in grooving along. The CD's were in good condition and I'm a very happy man with this in my collection :o) The CD got here on time and undamaged, seemed it took longer because of my eagerness to get it in my hands.
on 3 June 2015
Great music great condition!
on 31 May 2015
Top skinhead box set.
on 3 May 2008
THIS IS A GREAT COMPILATION THERE ARE SOME STOMPIN' TRACKS ON HERE! IF YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD SKINHEAD REGGAE THEN THERE IS NO BETTER PLACE TO START.3 CD'S OF FOOT STOMPIN' CLASSICS