Customer reviews

on 16 October 2004
The DVD format has helped to bring us some fine collections of blues performers from the past. This collection of performances by Lightnin' Hopkins is in my opinion is one of the finest. I have seen numerous TV clips of blues artists all of which insist on having some kind of commentary over the the clips, what I want is a straight forward clip of the artist performing without the aid of some annoying voiceover telling me how great the film clip is, I could judge for myself how great it was if only I could hear it.The real beauty of this compilation is that all you get is the artist filmed performing so if annoying voice overs are your thing look elsewhere. In total there are 24 songs featured on this disc.Included are clips from 1960 of Lightnin performing on the streets of Houston, the cream of this compilation however are the eight song set Lightnin recorded for the 1970 PBS show Boboquivari, this intimate set is delivered in the now familiar unplugged format. Although I would class myself as a huge Lightnin Hopkins fan I believe this DVD is more than a collection of clips which are only of interest to hard corps blues fans. Come and see where bands like the Black keys and the White Stripes got their insperation. Seeing is believing.
on 8 June 2009
I am a big Lightnin Hopkins fan and this DVD has almost been warn out by my player! There is footage of him on here you will find nowhere else including two sets set in colour. I urge anyone that loves music to buy this cos ol' Lightnin is a great musician and performer with true charisma.
on 13 March 2012
Of course we must be extremely grateful that there is any live footage of these great blues masters, but it has to be said that this DVD was rather disappointing. It comprises a collection of material from his later years by when he was "discovered" by the white college and festival crowd. His material is very much tailored to that audience and lacks the raw intensity of his earlier recordings. If you want to see Lightnin' in action then I guess that this will be as good as you can get, but I'd rather sit back and listen to his 1947/8 material (try King of Dowling St LP, released in 1972) and remind myself of just how good LH was in his prime.