on 10 September 2003
Feeling down?! Fed up with the kids?! Other half making your head ache?! Then here's your cure: 'Best of Victoria Wood As Seen On T.V.'! I honestly can't think of a funnier collection of clips available on DVD right now. From the downright hilarious parody of morning T.V. 'Margery and Joan': "Some of our viewers have found folding pyjamas and ARDUOUS task leading to lower back pain, depression and, alas, suicide!", to 'Shoe Shop': "Yeeees, we have hens. In the skirting boards!" you don't get comedy this surreal and realistic unless it's from Miss Wood. Julie Walters proves she's one of the finest and funniest comedy/character actresses ever in the UK - just watch the classic "Two Soups" sketch - the "Continuity Announcer" harks back to the days of Birthday Corner on local T.V. and then of course there's the infamous "let's do it!" song: "Barry and Freda"! Add to the mix "Acorn Antiques" ("what was it muesli?") and you can't go wrong. Make yourself a cuppa, lock the kids under the stairs and have a chuckle for an hour and a half!
on 30 January 2005
This collection is really funny and reflects on a TV series which was way ahead of it's time. When the series was first shown it was not at all popular as it was running the gauntlet alongside old established comedy and comedians (still very popular in the 1980's) I recall it being aired very late on Friday, on BBC2, not the trendy slot back then that it is today!
I guess it was also still fairly unusual for women to be in comedy at this time, hard to believe nowadays but this series dates back to a pre-French and Saunders era, there was no Jo Brand and no Jennie Eclair. It is fair to say that Victoria paved the way for these future great ladies of comedy. The only funny women I recall seeing at the time, other than Wood, were June Whitfield in "Terry and June", and Penelope Keith in re-runs of "The Good Life", or in "To The Manor Born". Good comedy actresses but a world away from this stuff.
Wood's writing and observation are acute and hilarious and her rich tapestry of characters are given life by such wonderful actors as Julie Walters, Celia Imrie, Duncan Preston and Susie Blake. There are even small cameo's by the then little known actors, Jim Broadbent and Pete Postlethwaite!
The sketches are true classics and if you have never seen "Shoe Shop", "Family planning", and "Acorn Antiques" then you really must! Stick with the show for lessor known sketches too, the Julie Walter's character doing a lone sketch to address the "Pie Crust Players" on the finer details of Hamlet is sheer brillance! "Ophelia, That lovely line!, There's Rosemary tis for rememberence, you can't just bung them a few chicken bones and say don't mind me I'm a looney!"
This will cheer up any rainy day! The funny thing is this stuff is not at all dated inspite of being 20 or more years old, ok the fashion is a bit dodgy at times but the comedy, then a very fresh style often called "alternative" is now bang up to date!
on 25 August 2002
A fantastic collection that draws from both series of 'As Seen On TV'. Highlights include 'Kitty', 'In the Office', 'Shoe Shop', 'Margery and Joan' and of course the excellent 'Acorn Antiques' (plus 'The Making of'). Viewers new to Wood will enjoy the freshness of the comedy after nearly 20 years, and particulary a younger Jim Broadbent's turn in the 'a Fairly Ordinary Man' mockumentary.
Unfortunately this collection offers nothing new to die-hard fans. With no extras to speak of, we are left with a collection of sketches that have been easily available on VHS compilations for years, meaning that some(particularly the 'On the trolley' sketch) seem too familiar. Nevertheless this can be regarded as nothing other than an outstanding compilation. The lack of a fifth star is down to the BBC's complacency rather than any lacking of quality in Wood's sketches.
on 14 August 2002
It has been a while since we have had a new compilation of 'as seen' and this DVD is a joy! Classic Victoria Wood humour that will have you in tears of laughter. Along with one or two that are on other 'as seen' compilations, there are some brilliant scetches that any fan will be pleased to see. Such as 'The Waitress' and 'the trolly' 35 scetches from the TV series including the continuity announcer and the od acorn antiques thrown in for good measure.
This is a MUST for any Victoria Wood fans, and even those who aren't, just buy it, you will belly laugh, and no doubt know the scene's word for word like us fans in no time! This well put together and layed out DVD proves beyond doubt that Wood is one of the best comedy writers this country has ever produced. The Perfect match between her and Julie Walters stands the test of time, and you could watch this dvd in 5 or ten years, and it will still have the desired effect, it will make you laugh!
Buy it, enjoy it, and experience Victoria Wood at her best..:o)
on 20 February 2010
Having become a massive fan of Dinnerladies after buying the box set, I though I would try some other of Victoria Wood's work and settled on this best of DVD. However I was slightly disappointed when I started to watch it. I didn't see any of it when it was first shown on TV as I was slightly too young and having seen it now I just don't find it that funny. Sure it has it's moments but at just under 2 hours I did start to find it hard to keep my concentration. It's a shame to write this and it seems I am going against everyone else but I think I would only buy it if I had seen it first time round and loved it.
on 28 April 2013
No matter how many times I see these scetches I never tire of them. This CD offers a good selection of Victoria's various antics including the hilarious 'Two soups' which always make me cry with laughter, and for which I chiefly bought it.
on 16 November 2010
Loved this show when it was first on. Particular favourites are Acorn Antiques and any sketch with Julie Walters. This is something to watch over and over again. Love it. She is so talented.
on 21 May 2016
Great to have this compilation hitch I bought having heard of the passing of Victoria Wood. Reminded me what a genius she was. Everything is still so funny
Brilliant - got most of her 'classics' as well as a couple I've not seen before. Well worth buying if you want to see a REAl professional at work
on 12 June 2016
Enjoyed so much, lovely to watch Victoria again, shame she passed away, great talent has been lost. She will be greatly missed.