Format: Audio CD|Change

Willie’s recordings are many and varied, but you won’t find much of his country music here. There are a few songs here that date from the sixties, seventies and eighties, but most are more than half a century old. Always on my mind, Crazy, Blue eyes crying in the rain, To all the girls I’ve loved before, Turn me loose and let me swing, Bridge over troubled water, Help me make it through the night, I can see clearly now and City of New Orleans are the newer songs here, but there are other collections where you will find a stronger representation of Willie’s contemporary music.
Many of the remaining tracks come from his four albums of standards – Stardust, Somewhere over the rainbow, Without a song and What a wonderful world. This set came with a sticker proclaiming that every track from Stardust is included. However, September song (which was on the original Stardust album) is omitted. I assume that was by error, but I’ve got Stardust anyway, so that didn’t bother me. The overall feel of the album is very mellow – only occasionally picking up the tempo (and then mostly on the newer songs).
This is an excellent collection, originally released only in Australia, from where I imported it (about a year later), only to discover about a month later that it was given a British release. I think this might have been an even better collection had it been devoted exclusively to the old standards. Some fans of those songs may be deterred from buying this because of the other stuff, although I hope not.
on 20 January 2010
I have purchased many Willie Nelson CDs over the years, mainly Country and Western, but this CD was a pleasant surprise. Willie has given each track his unique interpretation, and there isn't a bad recording on these CDs. I have CDs of many other artists singing most of these tracks, but Willie's voice adds a different dimension to these old favourites. If you are a Willie Nelson fan and enjoy a large chunk of nostalgia, then these CDs are for you.
on 30 April 2013
Being a late comer to Willie Nelson this CD has all the songs from my youth and some from before that, but are so nice just to hum or sing along with while doing other things.
A bit of a 'warm blanket' of a CD, it gives pleasure.
on 28 March 2013
excellent album with some all time classics and really good value compared to other 'places'.
I find using amazon to find albums missing from my collection the best , easiest and most economical way
on 21 October 2013
I really like all the tracks on this CD particularly the one he sings with Julio Iglesias - "To all the Girls I've loved before"
on 13 July 2013
Do vou need any comments the man covers all types of music a legend in his own rights well done
on 13 December 2012
This CD made me realise what a natural musician Willie Nelson is. His warm voice flows through an unusual repertoire, and I am thrilled at the fact that his taste in music coincides with mine!
on 16 May 2011
This Willie Nelson cd i regret to say did not like as it seems that no one can sing as good as the original artists that made these great tracks so memorable no one can sing Crazy as did Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash does a much better job on his Lucky old Sun version just before he died on his last recording session so for me not Willie's best. All The Songs I've Loved Before
on 8 January 2011
I know other Willie Nelson fans think they've been shortchanged because he's singing mostly covers here but they need to think about the title of the CD and read the track listings before buying. I think it's great.
on 3 July 2013
See my comments on The Essential Willie Nelson: the same applies here. A good range of songs and, once again, glad I bought.