Customer reviews

I Am Sam [DVD] [2002]
Format: DVD|Change

on 8 October 2014
Unfortunately not able to play the cd in Denmark due to Country restrictions...
on 30 March 2012
It is rare that you come across such a heart warming gem and makes you smile and have characters we can all empathise with.
All actors, Sean, Michelle and Dakota play their parts to perfection and were simply perfect for the role.
From the start your eyes are glued to the screen and Sam is extremely lovable and funny.
The story is extremely original and nothing is 'stolen' or 'cliche'from other movies, everything is entirely original and this movie deserves every credit it gets.
Not only is the movie brilliant it is also rewatchable and never gets boring,
easily one of my favourite films of all time!

If you love films such as The Green Mile, Waterboy, The Notebook etc this definitely one for you!
on 26 March 2007
There is little doubt that this is a very very good film, and if you don't have your heart strings tugged on at least once you must be made of stone!

The degree of acting is both compelling and believable, in particular Sean Penn's portrayal of Sam. His attention to detail of a man with Autistic tendancies is clearly evident. Dakota Fanning shows acting ability way beyond her years and delivers a brilliant performance - although its easy to forget how young she is at times because of her mature persona throughout.

There were a few things that I didn't like - although I must stress that these are probably more personal rather than a criticism of the film itself. I didn't like the way the film was shot at times. Although this was probably the intention of the director for one reason or another, I didn't like the use of a lot of jerky shots and sharp edits. Granted, at times it was used effectively to build the sense of anxiety and confusion, but at other times it niggled me slightly. Overall though, it still didn't detract from what is a very good film.

I did feel that the ending was a little hurried and it left me feeling a bit taken aback as it seemed a bit abrupt to me. There is a wonderfully poignant and touching moment when Laura Dern handed Lucy back to Sam, but I was expecting a final courtroom scene before it ended to wrap things up nicely and to give me some satisfaction in seeing the loathsome opposing lawyers face as Sam won custody of Lucy. But this didn't happen.

Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the film and its defintely the kind of film you can watch again and still appreciate the laughter and tears that "I Am Sam" evokes.
on 10 December 2012
Particularly well acted by Penn and Pfeiffer, this DVD looks deeply into relationships and what they ultimately are to those who live them. Reaching out to someone in an uncomfortable situation, and being the benefactor as a result is brilliantly displayed while being challenged (to use a politically correct word) is shown in a caring, respectful, and honoring way. It is heartwarming to see how a father is shown as being important to his child because he "understands" her.
Good for anyone who is in contact with a challenged person, or to reevaluate a more just self-understanding.
on 4 February 2009
I stumbled on this film on an aeroplane, and bought it the following Christmas. Not an original story line, but Sean Penn is brilliant as the lone parent with the mental age of a 7 year-old. As the woefully under-supported, but unconditionally-loving parent, Penn plays out the unoriginal story of the vulnerable person's battle with a society he doesn't understand very convincingly. Peppered with 'cruel to be kind' - or at times, 'not so kind' moments, you have to be a hard nut not to be touched by this film!
on 14 January 2009
My 12 year old niece recommended this film to me and it took me 2 years to get round to watching it.....boy do I regret waiting those 2 years.

This is the best film that I have ever watched. I have now ordered a copy for myself and intend to watch it over and over again which is something I never do.

Sean Penn is fantastic in this role, it made me laugh, cry and sit on the edge of my seat willing him on.

If you haven't seen this then your loss. Get it now.
on 28 April 2015
I adore the story of Sam (Sean Penn), his struggles, his falls and his optimism. From the opening sequence you know the odds are stacked against Sam. Sean Penn has proven how versatile an actor he really is from those early days starring with Madonna. Now, he plays the spectrum of roles. Whilst others are up there in lights. His films seems to be slipping in the back door when ppl want real hard hitting stories.
on 2 March 2006
This film is about a man with Autism wanting battling for the rights to look after his child.
This is a truelly compelling story and shows that people with difficulties and disabilities are perfectly capable of loving and looking after themselves and their children.
I absolutly LOVED this film and would recomend EVERYONE to watch it. I feel that the actors do a fantastic job through out the film and portray the difficulties facing them magnificently.
Definatly a film to be watched by anyone who wants to watch a brilliantly performed piece af work with an equally as good storyline.
on 8 October 2014
A really heart warming, though at times sad, film. Never normally a fan of Sean Penn, I bought this for Dakota Fanning's contribution. Both played their hearts out! Could watch it over and over. Shows how social services the world over often get it so very wrong! Michelle pfieffer also makes you want to stand up and cheer her on.
on 8 October 2015
This is one of my favourite ever films - all social workers/care assistants/do gooders in general should watch this film and learn!
Such a brilliant performance from Sean Penn and Dakota Fanning - in fact from all the actors - there is not one under par part !
Watch with a box of tissues to hand!