Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Christmas with Elvis Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 3.0 Deluxe

on 23 July 2002
Occasionally you come across software that you think everyone should know about. For years, I have been looking for competent CD-Audio burning software, accepting that products like Nero and Easy CD are trying to cover all CDR/W requirements, and therefore not providing enough control over audio. Having once seen CD audio magic performed with Wavelab I knew the kind of thing I was looking for. Required criteria: ease of use; ability to manipulate track start points graphically; ability to see track waveforms graphically; ability to overlap/segue tracks; price preferably under £100.
I thought it was hopeless, until I came across the unlikely sounding Audio Cleaning Lab 3 Deluxe from MAGIX. Although mainly intended for getting LPs etc onto CD (thus the name), it does all of the above in the simplest way possible. Audio can be recorded directly, CD Audio can be ripped, or WAV/MP3/WMA files imported. Tracks can be arranged; start/end points moved; fade in/outs set; overlaps made with automatic cross fades, or arranged on two adjacent tracks for full control of relative fades; tracks can be split/deleted/copied; track markers set and moved - all graphically and non-destructively. Zoom from full CD project down to individual wavecycles (so you can line up the beats of segued tracks with your eyes and ears!). Tracks can have duration or pitch altered (within reason). Oh yes, it's also excellent at cleaning up scratched records, hissy tapes etc (thus the name!). As well as various noise reduction options, it can apply Stereo widening (hmmm), EQ/Brightening, a multiband compressor and any DirectX plugins you may have plus VST plugins (via VST-DX Adapter light). These can be applied to the entire project or individual tracks - non-destructively in real time. As well as other useful features built-in, there's a full (separate but linked) Audio Editor, together with a CD cover graphics generator...I would recommend going for the "deluxe" version which includes MP3 support, the audio editor and VST adapter...Prepare to be impressed, prepare to stop searching for the shareware solution. It's not Wavelab, CoolPro2 or SoundForge and its not pretending to be, but burning CD Audio doesn't get any easier than this.
Superb software!
0Comment| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2002
I used this for the first time today and transfered my first record to cd. The whole system is so easy to use but can get more involved and complex for more experienced users. The basics of digital recording technology at a rediculously low price. I was a bit dubious at first but after reading the reviews of the previous version and a visit to the fast trak web site I was convinced and took the plunge. Now my old record and tape collection has got a new lease of life in the cd format.With full recording,cleaning,editing and even cd label and cover making facilities,also access via the internet for updates, I can`t recommend this highly enough(five stars plus).Go and get it now.
on 2 January 2003
I have Windows XP Home Edition and the software installed no problem. The help menu tutor video is great and it really is as simple as it says. The software worked first time the auto fixes are good but a bit of manual tweaking finishes it off. Exporting couldn't be easier in all formats. I managed to record radio being broadcast on the net and save it into mp3 format for offline listening. The only small niggle is the drop down menu interface its a little old fashioned, like my music but is does the job.
on 30 July 2003
My main reason for buying this was to listen to my old records in the car without having to buy them again as CDs. I've got Windows XP Home and installed Audio Cleaning with no problems. I had to buy an extension cable, but I didn't expect a long cable in the pack anyway. I've done 2 so far - a loud BonJovi and a quiet Dvorak which had a very bad scratch. Both are now as if I had bought them as CDs. And this is just scratching the surface of this software, probably as far down as I'll get. It's done what I wanted with very little effort and saved me loads of money.
on 10 February 2003
This is the software I've been waiting for! I have a a large collection of classical LPs from the 60s 70s and 80s and it's so inconvenient to use them now as they collect more dust and the associated clicks and pops increase.
I've burnt some 20 or more CDs now and I'm delighted with the results. The recording process and cleaning operations are very simple. The only note of caution I would add is: take care about the recording level: the recommended level is probably too high. In orchestral tuttis the recorded CD can give an unpleasant distortion, especially with massed violins. This disappears if the in-line level is set to just go into the 'yellow band' at the loudest point. I would also add that it is best to set your own track markers in classical pieces: there are just too many quiet points where the automatic track marker kicks in by mistake!
With these caveats in mind it's possible to get quite startling quality. I'm especially pleased with the chamber music recordings where the dynamic range and detail doesn't put so much stress on the recerding process.
Go out and buy it!
Martin Wells
on 28 May 2003
Really a very nice program. Not difficult to use. You can also use it to make great recordings from the digital or satellite radio, and it comes out sounding like a real CD. You can use it to clean up some of your old crappy CDs. About 15 years ago I bought a CD of Vaughan William’s Symphony No. 5. Now, this is the 1970 recording conducted by Sir Adrian Bolt. It’s such a stunning performance but is really marred by the dreadful recording quality: it hisses like a pit of hairdressers, and in the fourth movement there’s even an annoying transformer buzz (maybe the hairdressers using hair clippers). Just a couple of minutes work and all the hissing and buzzing are gone, and you can hear the work in all its glory. In fact you can use this to clean up all your old pre-digital classics and throw away the new digital recordings by violists with silly haircuts.
I hope that record labels take the trouble to use similar software to clean up their back catalogues.
It really does automatically recognise and get rid of nasty scratches on records with ease (I was sceptical, but the anti-click widget really does work well). If you have been brought up believing that each additional recording will inevitably lead to a certain increase in noise and drop in quality, prepare to be amazed. Once you’ve burned them onto CD, they will have less noise and clicks and bumps than the records you made them from.
The CD cover making thingamabob is good too, with one fault: it doesn’t sodding well print. Quite a major drawback if you are trying to make CD covers.
on 15 May 2002
It is everything it says it is, which is more than can be said of many products! It comes complete with a teaching video, which is opened using Media Player, which makes getting started simplicity itself. I loaded the program immediately (I have Windows XP) and got started straight away with no problems at all. What more can you ask for?
on 21 May 2003
I am extremely pleased with the results from this software. After some initial experimentation, I have found the whole process to be very straightforward for nearly all records, with just a few requiring more complex adjustments. The noise & sound effects wizards are normally very effective, but the track marker needs checking manually.
I have has some minor problems;
Using the automated volume at stage 2 sometimes pushes the volume too high and leads to a distorted final output - this should be used with care.
I have had occassional 'lock-ups' when attempting to do recordings without creating an image - not a system problem as I have no problems duping CDs with Nero.
An 'overburn' facility such as that used in Nero would be a good idea, as quite a lot of double LPs are between 80 & 90 minutes, and will happily fit onto a 900Mb CDR - alternatively the ability to create a standard CD image of over 800Mb which could then be used by Nero or other overburning s/w to create the CD.
on 8 August 2003
Most of the reviews here encapsulate my feelings as well - the software was easy enough to install on Windows 98 SE, intuitive enough to use.
The manual and help screens have been translated from German and are far from comprehensive. This has made it daunting for me to explore the software's more advanced features, which I'm sure would result in even better recording quality. But it's still amazing value.
on 26 February 2004
With many of my vinyls and cassettes no longer available in CD format, I wanted to save my favourites. It was pretty straight forward to use - of course it takes a bit longer to fully master the finer points of its capabilities but I was able to produce a CD with perfectly acceptable quality within minutes of recording the tracks onto my PC. As a hint, use a CD-RW for your first few attempts because as you improve you will want to re-master the tracks for even better playback quality. An inexpensive way of preserving your favourite music. Buy it!