Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 August 2017
Not as good as his legendary Radio 1 essential mix but still VG
on 27 April 2015
Top album, gets plenty of play here
on 23 October 2002
It's good to see Mr Holmes trying new stuff out and in particular the mixture of found music and stuff from The Free Association. While the found tracks for the most part are superb: Betty Adams, Rodriguez and others I can't remember right now, it's the Free Association stuff that lets the album drift, while making nice little interludes with some quite off-the-wall material it spoil the pace a little bit. Still, good effort.
on 26 March 2002
The CD is a collection of obscure sixties and seventies soul, funk and blues all linked by some original tracks and snippets by The Free Association (Holmes and programmer Steve Hilton). These original tracks have the dark electronica feel from earlier albums. The fusion with the older music provides an almost seamless groove.
If you've ever heard a David Holmes DJ set and said "I wonder where I could get that record ?" then this is the album for you. Forget the trawling of second hand record shops as here they all are roughly packaged in Holmes inimitable twisted style. Opening with the melancholy and soulful Sugarman by Rodriguez, passing through a bluesy Muddy Water's rarity in Tom Cat and onto soul and funk from the likes of The Johnny Otis show, Cyril Neville, Ray Bryant and the Staple Sisters this a delightful journey from start to finish.
There is definitely a more mellow feel to this album than to the also excellent Bow Down to the Exit Sign. Distorted guitars are conspicuous by their absence and the basslines are funky rather than heavy.
A mix album you can listen to in the house without getting a headache.
on 13 February 2012
Holmes' album liner notes imply that the artist on track 14 might be called Jujus - but actually that is the name of the album from which it is sampled.

The artist is 1960's/70's poet Sarah Webster Fabio and the whole album - called 'Jujus, alchemy of the blues' has music played by her family and close friends.

The Fabio album contains poetry in the same sense that Gil Scott-Heron was a poet. Indeed the album does sound similar to Scott-Heron in his early years. You'd be forgiven for thinking that the music will perhaps be simplistic - but far from it, as uplifting as Fabio's words are you could almsot enjoy the be-bop styled music all on its own.

Seek out this obscure little gem. Thanks to Mr Holmes for making me aware of Sarah Webster Fabio.

Oh yeah and Mr Holmes' album itself is a wonderful eclectic jazzy, blues-y, funky, mix that is very listenable.
on 26 March 2002
This was playing in my local record shop when I walked in, and I immediately bought a copy. It's similar to what he's been playing live of late, and if, like some people at those recent gigs, you're expecting the David Holmes off "Let's Get Killed", you'll be disappointed. But, if like me, you thoroughly enjoyed his "Essential Mix CD", then you're in for a treat. Some great old tunes, and some great new versions of old tunes, and the mixture really works. As I say, if the notion of a DJ mixing up soul tunes and a funked-up version of Purple Haze doesn't appeal, then avoid. Sounds great to me though.
on 15 September 2009
I bought this album after watching "Out Of Sight" and then buying the soundtrack (another David Holmes affair) . I decided that Mr. Holmes (nothing to do with Kelly) was my man. He saw it the way I did and he gave me an opportunity to love the past and welcome the future. "Come Get It, I Got It" is an excellent opportunity to hear the best secret tunes that only the cool kids know about whilst at the same time being thoroughly modern and openly precious. I remember strutting around town with this album in my headphones and thinking I was exclusively listening to the coolest party in town. Great introduction to many super artists and an excellent intro to David Holmes work. Seek out the Essential Mix 98/01 and the London Xpress freebie.
on 25 March 2002
David Holmes has done it again. After the promise of "This film's crap...", the raw funk of "Let's Get Killed" and the miscue that was "Bow Down..." he has produced a work equal to some of the things he has been doing with soundtracks.
The mix can only be described as eclectic, and there are tracks that stand out more than others. If I have a criticism, it is that this feels more like a soundtrack than a mix album or a work in itself.
But when the tracks are this good (and this far offbeat - check out the excellent Track 2 from Sixto Rodriguez) who am I to complain.
on 21 October 2013
Let's get one thing straight.. If you pick some great songs and add some twiddly bits it doesn't mean you are a great musician. If I added a scarf to a shirt and jacket does it make me a fashion designer? No, so don't make any of these mixers in to geniuses.

There are some great songs on here and it is a terrific workout CD. Most of the tracks are blended well.
on 27 March 2002
Much as I would like to dedicate my days to seeking out lesser known and to mortals like me, unknown, funk, soul, rnb gems, it is a heavan send that we have Mr.Holmes to do that for us. Much as 1998's 'Essential Mix' opened up new musical directions and artists to explore this is destined to do the same. There are, at the very worst, a couple of instant classics that would have remained dusty and unloved in the vaults of lost forgotten labels, 'Sugarman' by Rodriguez is spaced out folk, 'Tom Cat' by the legendry Muddy Waters is a complete suprise, classic RnB crossed with late 60's experimentation, The Staple Sisters classic take on the Cannonball Adderley standard, 'Why Am I Treated So Bad ?' is heavanly.
The beauty of Holmes is that although the tracks here are as varied as i have described his desire to share and the supreme confidence he has in presenting the mix has almost created a whole new genre of music in its self, 'David Homes style music'. The fact that he has had the confidence to link these records with his own creations, under the guise of Free Association, further confirms this.
My one critique, its frustrating to be blown away by a record and then for it to end prematurely and be mixed to another, such is the nature of the 'mix' cd. I'll just have to go and discover the artists myself. Right, any Rodriquez compilations avaliable !?