Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 7 January 2009
I bought this when I bought my laptop, and I really wish I had read some of these reviews first. The main problem I had was that the software doesn't work with Windows Vista, even though the packaging says it does. The only positive thing was that the shop I bought it from was having a sale, so at least it only cost me a couple of pounds. Seriously, I urge you to give this turkey a wide berth and do something better with your money, like throw it down the drain - that will be just as useful, but less frustrating.
on 2 January 2016
When I first started writing I tried this software to write the first draft of my novel The Sister. Within two weeks the file became corrupted, lost 30K words. The back up file was irrecoverable. One plus point, hence two stars, is that the rewriting of all I could remember, led me to the novel as it is today. Lesson leaned for me: Always write in word and back up regularly!
on 9 June 2002
I started writing my book three years ago but have not been able to pull it all together and finish it. New Novelist has helped me do this - I should have bought it earlier.
on 17 October 2003
I've tried other writing tools in the past, but they were for screen plays. This one is much better for novel guidance. Has some limitations, but it is easy to use, and I've written a good chunk so far. I'd recommend it for novice writers.
on 18 June 2002
If you've never written before and especially if you have no 'wp' software to work with this could be of help - though even that is basic and you will probably need to transfer it to a better application at some point. As a writer I do feel it will be of some use to me keeping track of notes - rather then have all those irritating pieces of paper littering my desk. The 'guidelines' may even well help me fill any 'gaps' in my story. However, it's actually quite a small and simple piece of software. I wouldn't say it's a waste of money but I do think it is pricey... The website does have some good links but I still feel that it should be capable of more to warrent the price.
on 4 October 2002
It's easy to use and quick to get you started, but it's of limited use and really all it does is point you very vaguely in the right direction. It’s not expensive, but it could have more features for the price. Could do with improvement on the “character builder” facility. It is worth having to help keep your work organised, but don’t expect too much from it. It’s more of a writer’s organiser than anything else.
on 22 October 2002
I feel this piece of software has helped me to focus and structure my story. It is, as someone else has said, a good way to keep all your notes together, but it will not 'create' a story if you don't already have an idea....Reasonable value for money, but could have offered more, I feel.
on 17 March 2004
Only one aspect of this software is any good - allowing you to, perhaps, get your thoughts together but you'd be better off buying one of the many excellent 'how to' books on novel writing. You can always create templates on your PC (in Word) for character sketches etc...(as I have).
This software is nothing more than a, limited in function, word processor.
on 19 August 2005
I have just completed my first novel using this software. Before I used newnovelist I had problems starting my story, after installing this product it all seemed relatively easy. I was able to structure my story properly, with helpful attention to plot, characters and dialogue. It may not be for everyone, but for those who have a good idea, but can't seem to articulate it properly, I would recommend you buy newnovelist.