Customer reviews

Can You Do Me Good
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 February 2018
Their last ever album a bit patchy but some classic tracks that still make it a buy
on 30 April 2017
excellent
on 1 November 2013
I somehow managed to forget about DA (blame it on Beethoven) after buying three of their releases in the 90s but heard one of the songs from 'Waking Hours' recently and began to listen to them again. Bought this as a download and listened to it, initially with reservation as it's not in the same rock/folk vein as the earlier recordings. However, it's grown on me and have got used to the edgier sound and cynical tone. A testament to Iain Harvie's song writing ability and JC's humour in 'Drunk in a Band' along with his smooth vocals.
on 2 March 2014
bought this after seeing del amitri last month in Liverpool, they were superb live. I already had all the other albums, so I bought this to complete the collection and it's good, but not as good as their earlier albums.
on 10 July 2015
Great album, really pleased with this purchase!
on 9 March 2013
I bought this album, because I've just become a BIG fan of Justin Currie's solo work, [ I won't go repeating myself, as if anyone is interested, please look at my 2 Justin Currie reviews ], so I thought i'd give this ago, very good album, because I'm going backwards with his work, you can kind of see where his solo work is heading as if you like 'just getting by' my fav on this album, then I think you'll enjoy his solo albums, as his writing/ voice just get stronger. Other fav's are cash & prizes, one more last hurrah, the buttons on my shirt, out falls the past, Jesus saves, I can't get enough of Mr Currie. imo his 'what is love for' album is one of the greatest albums of all time CLASS, just a shame hardly anyone knows it even exists, so if you do ever come across it, please buy it.
on 8 May 2016
There's some VERY good music here. Its differant from the Dels usual format - and the better for it. I'm kinda coming round to thinking its the best theyve done - much less commercial, no radio 2 hits here!
on 15 April 2002
It lacks the bite of Twisted that I dearly loved as it was a cool departure from the previous albums. Having seen them MANY times over the years that edge you hear live kind of becomes expected, or is that craved? Don't know. Nothing jumped out at me on first listen and I have a real habit of defining an album on this first listen lately. Don't with this. The "slow burning" statement made in other reviews is so accurate I can't sum it up better. Just getting by sent shivers down my spine and drunk in a band made me laugh. I just can't help feeling that all those fantastic b-sides they put on singles have started sneaking onto the albums. But despite this and the abomination that was "Some Other Suckers Parade", I will always come back to them. This album has the radio friendly mix they all do but it has Currie and Co. at least starting to slide back off the fence they had climbed onto in recent years. If you can just actually fall all the way before the tour and the next album lads. It's getting there with this album and with enough careful listens it will stand out from the background music casual buyers will relegate it to and it panders to. I guess he sings about the broken heart and addictions we have all suffered from and can identify with. Keep going lads please!!
on 8 April 2002
Del Amitri return with their fourth album, their first for five years. As usual, many of the tracks feature imaginative melodies and lyrics, although a harder edge is evident, particularly amongst the earlier tracks and this takes some getting used to. The album has become more enjoyable after repeated listens.
Whilst the unquestionable highlight is the closing ballad "Just Getting By", surely Justin Currie's finest ever vocal performance, there is much else to savour, including the soulful "Out Falls The Past" and the wry humour of "Drunk In A Band".
Del Amitri seemed destined to remain in the second division of the sales league, but this album should maintain their solid fan base and, perhaps, gain a few new supporters willing to give them a listen.
on 27 August 2002
...but that is what this band has done. This album is a natural progression of songwriting and production. The melodies will linger in your head for days, the lyrics will make you stare at your speakers, and the brilliant (and surprising) production will keep your ears interested for multiple listens.
Support this band, even if they've been dropped. Universal doesn't know a good thing enough to push it, apparently.