Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 1 September 2014
I first watched this series when it was repeated late at night in the 1990s. I then videoed it, then bought the video and now, finally, the DVD. I love this series. It is gentle, informative and nostalgic (as much now for the time it was made as the time it recreates). This is what a reality programme should be. No one shows off or cries. To me it is the forerunner of the Tales of the Green Valley, Victorian Farm etc. I love everyone in it: Harry Dodson, Peter Thoday, the industrious Alison (who hardly speaks through the entire series; can you imagine that happening if the series were made today?). Even the music is superb. I can't recommend this enough - enjoy!
on 21 June 2017
Brilliant brilliant TV series - I have adopted some of the practices that are within my reach - you simply cannot beat the old-fashioned ways of doing things as they were built up over centuries of experience. Very nostalgic - I loved watching the TV series and just had to have the video. What a terrible pity and great loss that the garden has disappeared.
on 12 April 2014
We loved this beautiful and informative series. Harry Dobson was an unexpected star - knowledgeable and watchable. Fascinating to see the old Victorian methods and plants (literally) come to life before the camera. One of those programmes that makes you sad when the last episode ends, particularly as we knew that the Chilton Foliat garden was later abandoned, despite Harry Dobson's efforts to make it commercially viable. Will definitely watch again.
on 10 July 2008
I really enjoy this 2-DVD set and have watched it a few times already. No doubt I shall be watching it again! It is a lovely way to escape from reality for an hour to a more elegant era.

Fortunately for us there are many Victorian walled gardens being restored now. This DVD explains the process from start to finish and is quite delightful. Not only is it interesting from a historic point of view but provides very useful knowledge which we can apply in our own gardens, today.
on 7 June 2017
Excellent resource for gardening history from the golden years of innovation in sustainable horticulture... with a few reminders of the cavalier attitude of Victorian society.
on 13 July 2014
Absolute nectar, Harry Dodson and Peter Thoday make an excellent team. Informative, entertaining and a wonderful trip down memory lane. I had all my own teeth when this was filmed, it now stands as a timepiece that will never be replicated. I recommend it to any keen gardener.
on 3 December 2016
This DVD arrived quickly and in good condition. Really very enjoyable to watch, it took me back to my boyhood where my grandfather worked in a walled garden very similar to this.
on 24 July 2010
The DVD 'The Victorian Kitchen Garden' is delightful. It is the story month by month of the development, plantings and harvesting of a range of fruit and vegetables in a Victorian Kitchen Garden. The presentation is very relaxed and it is a very calming program to watch. The elderly gardener and presenter is an expert in this field having worked all his life in the role of Head Gardener to a large country house. It is also a most interesting historical record of gardening in the Victorian era.
on 25 July 2014
This has got to be my favourite dvd of all times. I struggled on with my old video version - oh how I love this series and the two wonderful main characters. I even quote some of their sayings !!!! Love gardening - you will love this dvd
on 3 May 2015
I have vague memories of seeing this programme when it was first shown on TV. Lovely, gentle, gardening programme from a former time. The first thing I remembered was the lovely clarinet music and then the wonderful Harry Dodson and Peter Thoday. Whenever there was rubbish on TV, I switched to watching these DVDs and I am so sad they are over, but they will be watched again and again, no doubt.