on 20 August 2016
I bought this for my son because I played with Meccano when I was a kid. Things have changed! For starters the kit comes in a nice hard case to store all the bits. Mine was in a cardboard box, but no ordinary cardboard box, for mine had the following words emblasened on the box - "The Box Deluxe" no less (which is where the term "The Dog's Bol***ks" originated from - bet ya didn't know that?). You learn something new everyday. But enough! This is a great Meccano kit for any kid to play with. A selection of different models to choose to build and good instructions with plenty of visuals to help you, if help is ever needed. In fact, I still have a small model my son made me on my desk in my study. By now you've probably guessed; I'm a bit of a sentimentalist at heart. Still, a great Meccano kit that provided me with a great diversion for my often 'bored' young sons, and me, by providing us with many hours of fun, laying on the bedroom floor, just building stuff. If you found this honest review helpful then please do tick the YES box below. Thanks 😄
on 18 November 2003
This is a must for any active and inventive child. Hours of fun to be had and a good toy to bring out the best in their creative side.
on 29 December 2009
Great toy. Billed as for "8+" but I think quite a few 10+ year-olds would still welcome senior assistance at first, as the models are intricate, and some skills are needed to follow the instructions - so good bonding opportunities for dads and grandads too!
on 21 August 2013
I'm not going to say anything about Meccano that hasn't already been said! We bought this for my 6 year old's birthday and it is probably a bit advanced for him. However, he loved sitting with me and watching my build our first model, helping me find the correct bit and with the bolts.

It's so much more robust than the other toys he has and so much more likely to last longer.
on 17 August 2013
Very pleased with my purchase.All items present in a nice plastic case.Several differences from the Meccano of my youth,I had a
No 10 set !!!! A much more interesting "toy" than jigsaws for an elderly male to pass the time. Makes fairly small models,ideal for
construction on a coffee table.An old Meccano spanner and a screwdriver with an allen key end are helpful.
on 8 January 2010
I love lego but I was tired of making the same old models. I discovered Meccano while watching James May 'Toy stories'. I thought this would be as enjoyabe as lego was in my youth. This product met my expectation. I bought the 40 model set for re-usability. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys constructing objects as you'll have hours of fun.
on 30 March 2014
I bought this product abut six months ago for my child's birthday. He started building it, until ha realised that the kit missed some pieces. I had to go to customer service on the Meccano, and sure enough, the pieces came 3 weeks later.
Unfortunately, when he had finished making his "car", the motor stopped working (even though I tested it throughout the making).
I soon figured out the problem: one of the holes was too small to let the axle turn to make the wheels turn.
To conclude, I would not recommend this product as of the engineering problems throughout the making.
on 18 March 2014
As a granddad who had his first Meccano number 3 set at about the age of nine and to which I contribute my early foundation of mechanical engineering, with the addition extra bits added over the years, including gearing sets, clockwork and electric motors to make it all come alive.
60 odd years later watching the grandchildren with ‘plastic meccano’ making simple two dimension models I decided to treat them to a real educational toy, so I purchased a Meccano 40 model set for them.
I admit it is a little too advanced for a 6 and 8 year old but as a believer in starting them early before they’re immersed into the’ internet tablet games universe’ I’ll show them what a thinking child should be doing.
If it doesn’t catch on at least I’m enjoying doing the demonstrations even if I’m finding my fingers aren’t as ductile as I remember them to be. Oh! And it is a great toy that no child or dad /granddad should be without.
on 30 April 2012
this is a good challenge kit, not for first timers,it is challenging yet cant put down. be aware though the kit does make 40 models the latter half of them need to download the instructions.
this kit is great and not for the beginner so maybe look for a smaller model kit build first and see how you go.
on 1 June 2010
Very good but if you dont follow the instructions correctly you have to take it all apart.
They are not very good for a 10 year old kid.

See one answered question