on 19 February 2009
A career-spanning collection from her deep Southern soul beginnings, through her disco days and club hits?!

Yes, it is too good to be true, because these are new recordings. While not exactly homemade, the production mainly relies on synthesisers, although there are good backing vocalists.

I almost preferred one or two of these new versions to the originals. For instance, Victim has been been made more compact and has lost the disco stylings. And tracks like Stand By Your Man and Suspicious Minds have a more dance feel to them.

It is good to hear she still has the voice and I am thrilled to say in concert she is on fire!

1. Young Hearts Run Free
2. Nights On Broadway
3. Stand By Your Man
4. Victim
5. Honest I Do Love You
6. You Got The Love
7. I'd Rather Be An Old Man's Sweetheart (Than A Young Man's Fool)
8. I'm Just A Prisoner
14. Now You've Got The Upper Hand
15. He Called Me Baby
16. Just When You Think It's Safe
on 29 October 2013
These are new recordings where the soul has been taken out of the records. Candi has really great recordings and cd's. This is not one of them. Better buy Candi Staton - Candi Staton (2004) EMI ASIN: B0000DG5N0.
on 27 March 2015
If the recordings was the originals this CD would be a great album. But as this album is a remix. It just doesn't sound right. And makes this hard work to listen too. If you like a soulful candi this is not the CD for you
on 6 October 2014
What a Wonderful Voice! She sings beautifully. I never was into Disco and missed Candi Staton during that period. The album is well packaged and was here almost by return. It is a joy to listen to her music.
on 7 July 2011
Songs are re-recordings and lost their original (and so good) glamour and the sound of the whole CD is really disappointing. What a pity! Some of my favourite songs really miss their excellent sound and I am so surprised to listen to such a bad attempt. Anyway, at least this will remind me of the best original Candi!
on 6 February 2013
I can only assume that the 'reviewers' that have given this more than 1-Star haven't heard the luscious vocals of Ms. Candi Staton before???
Personally, I wouldn't have thought that Candi would've needed the money to go to this awful, awful label to re-record her once-fantastic hits?

For anyone that doesn't know by now - AVOID THIS LABEL [ALONG WITH 'PRISM' or 'BESTWAY' - the latter mainly Northern 're-records' Soul - labels!!!] LIKE THE PLAGUE as you'll feel like tearing your hair out when you hear the sound, noise, racket contained within!
What you WILL NOT hear is what you thought to be the "ORIGINAL RECORDINGS"...& the worst thing???...they dont even have the decency to let you know the tracks are "re-records"!!!
All of the songs on this CD-album are, originally anyway, excellent songs & really DO NOT deserve the horrible, nasty "re-recording" experience.
DON'T BUY: 'PEGASUS', 'PRISM' Or 'BESTWAY' you WILL be disappointed folks!!!
on 13 August 2012
I think this compilation should be withdrawn from Amazon,and the manufacturer/issuer of the cd should
be reported to Trading Standards for apparently deliberately misleading customers.
I was mislead to believe that it was 'The Best Of'....Well,Candi's best years were in the 70s and there are no 70s tracks here.
Every recording is a cheap re-recording done badly,not longer than 5 minutes spent on each track.
An absolute disgrace of a release of such an iconic artist,and there is no option to give it zero stars,otherwise I would have
done so.Even if it is offered for free,don't ever add this cd to your collection.I am horrified.....
on 10 May 2009
I ordered and took delivery of two CDs by Candi Staton. I was disappointed because a host of my favourite tracks/songs were not on these CDs. I have in mind such tracks/songs as "Do it in the name of love", "Darling, you were all I had", "Hey Mr, where're you going in such a hurry" "You've got to stop and smell the roses" among others. All these songs were in the original vinyl productions. They were what I had hoped for before I placed my order. I hope I will be informed as soon as the CD has been produced or if they already exist, please let me know. They so much remind me of my youth days. Otherwise the production is splendid and the rhythm is soul inspiring and are in conjunction with modern day foot/dance steps.
on 18 March 2016
a fairly new album.all the songs have been re-sung ,but the voice of candi is still there.,ashame the young hearts run free was not like the original.but still all her hits ,a fantastic album.
on 23 February 2013
about half of this album is great but a few songs are almost copies of "young hearts run free".not including the Source version of "you got the love"is a crime.