Customer reviews

Total class!
on 13 May 2017
Excellent cd highly recommend
on 7 April 2002
When I first heard 'Wherever You Will Go' on Virgin radio, it hit me in places I never thought music could effect!And its not where you think either, you sick people!It made my eyes glaze other,the vocals, the lyrics and the bass to this track just blew me away! I decided to buy the album which is equally as brilliant! Taking notice of the two best tracks:'Adrienne' and the tear jerking 'Stigmatized'. This album spent a good few months in my CD player (until Michelle Branch made her way into my collection!). The way to explain the band is: The vocal talents of Jason Wade from Lifehouse, the catchy riffs of Vertical Horizon and the look of an 80's punk band! These guys are going to the top! If you like THE CALLING, you should also look out for these other brilliant albums/artists:
Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon
No Name Face - Lifehouse
The Spirit Room - Michelle Branch
on 28 August 2002
Very rarely does an album come along that can be listened to over and over again without eventual boredom setting in, but with The Calling's debut album, prepared to be surprised. The combination of Alex Band's stunning (and only 21 year old) vocals, and the impressive guitar skills of co-founder/co writer Aaron Kamin, make this album hard to resist. "Wherever You Will Go" is the best known and first released, but don't expect the whole album to be ballads. This California rock band know how to write, and they seriously know how to belt out a tune. From the harsh and angry "Adrienne" (...What I'm needing now some sweet revenge...) and insightful "Just That Good" (...What a Nightmare it Must Be Just Being You...) there's never a dull or cliched moment. The most beautiful lyrics are in "Stigmatized" (HAs to be heard live) and "Could It Be Any Harder", and you can tell this is no run-of-the-mill production.
For jaded UK music lovers tired of bubblegum pop and manufactured wannabes, Camino Palmero is a blast of fresh air that'll restore your faith in the music industry. It's not painfully dark and heavy, and it's not sickly sweet. It's unique and honest - by far the most astounding debut this year, or even the decade.
This is easily one of the best albums, and as the Calling begin to crack Europe the rest of you won't find it hard to see why.
The album begins well, but doesn't really pick up until the anthemic 'Wherever You Will Go', a huge hit in America and the album's standout track. However it doesn't end there! Other stunners include Adrienne, We're Forgiven and Stigmatized. Alex Band's voice is on a par with Rob Thomas and he really carries the album, although he is very, very well backed up by the songwriting and rifferey of the guitarist Kamin. This is one of the album's of the year and it deserves to do well over here!
(buy if you like any of the following bands : goo goo dolls, mathcbox 20, lifehouse, nine days, get the idea?!)
Ok, I first heard the single "Wherever You Will Go" the day before it was released in U.K, and you just know I was straight down that shop the next day to buy it! Same story here! Bearing in mind I'd only heard that one song, I took a chance anyway and bought the album - was not disappointed. The Calling have, in my opinion, a very unique sound - and it's definately a good one. Every song on this album is a good one, it's hard to believe that so many good songs are available on one album. The "Wherever You Will Go" single is the best track on here (a fact reflected in it's no. 3 U.K chart entry!), but coming up close behind are "Could It Be Any Harder" (a strong rock ballad) and "Stigmatized" (a lovingly catchy number!) I do find the lyric/music arrangement of "Nothing's Changed" a bit...abstract perhaps, but it doesn't matter when you've got so many good tracks. It really has to be heard to be believed, but it may just be the best album you'll buy this year!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 April 2013
I can still remember when 'Wherever You Will Go' was riding high in the UK charts back in 2001. I loved the song so much that I immediately bought The Calling's debut album 'Camino Palmero'. It's a shame that the one song seems to overshadow the rest of their work, The Calling were a great alternative rock band and the album contains some good songs. Personal favourites include 'Final Answer', 'Nothing's Changed' and 'We're Forgiven', a perfect combination of acoustic and hard rock with dynamic guitar and bass melodies. Alex Band is also a fantastic vocalist.

If you only associate the band with just the one song, this album should come as a surprise. It still brings back great memories for me. After two successful albums and a handful of top 40 singles, the band have been on a hiatus since 2005. Whilst it then looks unlikely that there will be a new release (at least not anytime soon) from them, I can still hope.
on 14 May 2002
A new American outfit, The Calling`s debut album is one to savour. Highlighted by their hit single `Wherever you will go`, unfortunately The Calling are yet to have been graced the British Isles with any well-deserved fame.
This album grows fom strength to strenth, and all of the tracks are superb and are laden with subtleties. Memorable melodies and emotion characterize this album.
My personal recommendations are `Could it be any harder`, `Stigmatized` and of course `Wherever you will go`. The more you hear their album the more you will realise how good they are. In years to come, they will no doubt be one of the biggest names. Enjoy them while they are relatively unknown.
on 30 January 2003
Alex Band has a wonderful vocal - amazing range, full of heart and emotion,with extraordinary tonal qualities, but also very natural and unforced. Although the lyrics and melodies are fantastic it is probably Alex's voice that makes this album exceptional.
The lyrics are excellent - dealing with both the personal and the universal without seeming pretentious. Some of my favourite lyrics include "So light me again, cause my heart is turning black" (Final Answer), "And we play our games of sweet denial" (We're Forgiven),"And you became my favorite drug/
So let me take you right now and swallow you down" (Unstoppable) and "you'll need love to light the shadows on your face." (Wherever You Will Go). Speaking as a poet I find the lyrics generally very strong on imagery and pathos - a refreshing change from most of the rhyme-by-rote pap common in most contemporary music.
My favourite track was the live version of Wherever You Will Go - Alex's voice on this track is truly exceptional. This leads me to my only very minor gripe - I would like to see slightly less *production* on the other tracks and more room for Alex's voice to shine. This is only a very minor quibble, though. I look forward to the release of a live album as Alex is one of those rare singers who sounds even better live, if that is possible.
Other stand-out tracks include Could It Be Any Harder, Adrienne and Stigmatized.
This has to be one of the most consistent albums of 2002, there are no weak tracks - and with two young and talented songwriters this must bode well for future releases. It hasn't been out of my CD player since I bought it.
on 16 March 2002
The Calling are an American band largely unknown in the UK, i myself only discovered them when i saw them on the American show TRL,yet they are a band that should definitely not be missed.
This album is undoubtably one of the best i have heard in a long time,it has extremely moving lyrics, and Alex Band has a heartrendering voice that adds extra emotion to each track. you really can feel the emotions through his amazing voice.
the single "wherever you will go" is one of the best songs on the album, and is the song most people may know, but other tracks to point out are Unstoppable and Adrienne, both amazing songs, and i believe, possible future hits.
i would say they are quite similar to Lifehouse, the goo goo dolls and train, yet the calling still maintain an original sound. this is an unmissable album by an extremely talented band.