Customer reviews

Vivaldi: Gloria
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 December 2017
A well-produced and beautifully sung and played rendition of this sublime piece of music. A must for all Vivaldi fans.

I bought this for my missis as she was singing it in performance with only 1 rehearsal. So I heard it quite a lot with an extra voice.
on 21 March 2017
I first sang Vivaldi's Gloria when I was 14 and a member of the city Youth Choir, and it has remained a favourite though I am in my 70's. This version is first class - and I can sing along in the car!
on 23 October 2017
up to expectations
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
A stunning masterpiece by Vivaldi. The CD is a fantastic recording of this seminal work, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone.
on 26 March 2006
Three of Vivaldi's most beautiful works are brought together on this CD. The bookends, the Gloria and the Magnificat, are well known but the real gem is the middle work, Dixit Dominus for two choirs. The Dixit Dominus draws themes and rythms that are reminiscent of other of Vivaldi's work and fans of the Vivaldi album featuring Cecilia Bartoli and Il Giardino Armonico will appreciate the vocal dexterity required by both of the female soloists. There is a wonderful weaving of the music within and between the two choirs. A quite stunning violin obligato accompanies one of the soloist's tracks.
Unfortunately, this treasure is destined to remain buried owing to the appalling cataloguing by Amazon. It is RV 594 and not RV 564 as shown and the sample track that is supposed to illustrate the Dixit is in fact a track from the Gloria! If you want to hear the real thing, log on to the Amazon.com site. Although there is a misalignment of the tracks, at least our American cousins are showcasing the correct music. Buy it now.
0Comment| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 20 July 2010
This is an absolutely beautiful CD featuring the superb "Gloria" and also including "magnificat" and "dixit dominus" all performed by the choir of King's College, Cambridge.

I just love this music, it fills me with wonder whenever I listen, its uplifiting, calming and never fails to boost my mood after a bad day at work!
on 25 January 2013
An excellent recording of outstanding music. This is Vivaldi at its very best. If you are new to baroque music and want to explore Vivaldi beyond the Four Seasons, this is a great place to start.
on 29 November 2013
fabulous recording of this famous piece... or at least... the first gloria is famous.. the rest maybe not so well known.... the choir of king's college are sublime as always.... I bought this as a present for myself as my choir is singing it at christmas and I wanted to hear how it should be done.... wonderfully of course!
on 20 January 2016
I HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO LISTEN TO THIS YET. READ SOME GREAT REVIEWS ABOUT THIS CD. HAVE RECENTLY SUNG MOST OF THIS WORK IN A CONCERT IN DECEMBER WITH THE THORNDEN COMMUNITY CHOIR. VERY MOVING!
on 7 December 2012
I liked this music to compare with other music and it was a need for me to buy this CD