• So

So
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£7.98+ £1.26 shipping

on 24 February 2015
'So' (1986), Peter Gabriel's 5th studio outing, deservedly merits its reputation as one of the best releases of his lengthy and distinguished career. The 'funk-rock' of 'Sledgehammer' and 'Big Time' sit very happily alongside the likes of the wonderfully anthemic 'Red Rain', the beautifully crafted 'In Your Eyes' and the classy 'Mercy Street'. The song which tends to divide Gabriel fans more than any other on this album is 'Don't Give Up', a duet with Kate Bush - personally, I've always loved the prettiness of this swirling ballad and its message of hope in the face of desperation, but I accept it may not suit all tastes and that's fair enough in my book. Overall though, this is a powerful release and certainly qualifies as one of the best of Gabriel's career - my favourite LP is probably still 'Gabriel 3' but it's a close run thing. Highly recommended.
on 6 September 2017
I love this album ever since I heard it first time back in the eighties. It has a unique combination of energy & subtlety. With beatiful melodies supported by great grooves and creative arrangements. Maybe you think Sledgehammer and Don't give up are over the top but when you listen to them today with a fresh mindset you probably recognise that this is probably due to the fact that you've heard them too often.

I find that they still sound relevant and have stood the test of time. That groove of Sledgehammer with the energetic horns pushing you into one of the most melodic and powerful baselines in pop music, tight drums and the nicely sarcastic/funny lyrics... I don't get bored by it!
One of my other favourites is In Your Eyes. A classically beautiful melody driven by an understated groove.

The reissue in this boxset is IMO the ultimate version mainly because of the excellent vinyl that comes with it. For a change any re-mastering and new pressing equipment have not ruined the dynamics and soundstage. To the contrary, this is the best sounding version of So that I have. More dynamic lows without it feeling hyped than the original pressings I have. And even a bit more clarity and detail. I usually associate this with the excellent re-issues by Analogue Productions or Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab. I would say that this vinyl is of similar quality.

In all other aspects (print quality, finishing of the box and sleeves) this box set is lovingly made.
Just one negative remark: at this kind of price I would have expected some good quality (anti static, soft plastic)inner sleeves.
on 27 March 2014
Difficult to believe this album is pushing 30; still fresh and vibrant. I don't follow the sellout to commercialism view expressed by some when So was first released. The Kate Bush and Laurie Anderson tracks are soul searching. Sledgehammer remains as a Motown inspired classic and in my view, there isn't a bum track on this album. For the price of two singles, incredible value to have a remastered album. I love it.
on 23 March 2017
Brought 'SO' many memories back from the 80s. A must for all Gabriel fans,even if your not a fan you must add this to your collection. Triple cd comes with 4 free postcards which are cool also fab price.
on 1 March 2017
A timeless album. For me there are a number of moments which are just spine tingling: the moment Kate Bush enters on 'Don't give up' and the frantic drumming in the dying seconds of 'Sledgehammer' to name but two!
on 18 October 2017
As most people who buy this album, I had it in the car in the 80’s. Great to return to my youth (in my head at least). If you liked it then you will still like it now.
on 24 October 2017
Bought as a gift - should delight the recieint
on 5 November 2017
great album from a great singer songwriter
on 26 November 2017
I am very pleased with this addition to my music library.
on 4 September 2017