Customer reviews

Songs my father taught me
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 January 2009
Sublime and wonderful: Thomas Allen sings this selection of songs wonderfully and Malcolm Martineau's accompaniment could not be better. I come back to this CD again and again and have just ordered myself a new copy - I gave my previous one to my cousin who heard it last Sunday and was similarly enchanted!
on 18 February 2002
This is a beautiful collection of songs that were often sung by families around the piano at home, long before the internet, Cds, and DVD split us into disparate groups. The songs are sung by Thomas Allen who imbues them all with a powerful emotional essence which enables us to take a step back into an era of sentiment and duty which is absent from today. He is well served with Malcolm Martineau on piano.
on 15 May 2006
This is a glorious collection of songs and ballads, beautifully sung by Thomas Allen. I bought this for my mother- for whom it brought back countless memories- but was surprised at just how many of these songs also conjured up happy childhood memories for me. Really well-worth listening to.
on 3 November 2009
I thought that nobody would ever record songs like this again as they are so old fashioned but I grew up loving them as my mother did. How pleased i was to find this CD and it doesn't disappoint. It is a lovely collection beautifully sung and accompanied. It is good to think that these beautiful songs are not forgotten. many thanks to Sir Thomas for making these recordings!
on 11 May 2007
Unlike the previous reviewer, I found the piano accompaniment most sensitive and almost perfect. The dynamics were much better than on most recordings, so that both voice and piano went from the merest whisper right up to full volume,with the words clearly distinguishable in each song. One could almost see the aspidistras and victoriana, and was transported right into the parlour, where so many of these songs would have had their place.
on 2 March 2007
There are very beautiful, seldom heard ballads, on this C.D, and Sir Thomas Allen has a magnificent voice. Unfortunately, the pianist drowns out the singer, which quite spoils the performance.
on 16 December 2012
Wonderful songs, wonderful voice, clarity of words is amazing, wonderful accompaniment by very talented pianist.
Thomas Allen is so natural and his interpretation is wonderful
on 9 April 2016
THE GREAT SIR THOM ALLEN REMINDS ME ONCE AGAIN WHAT GREAT SINGING WITH SONGS OF GOOD TASTE AND DISTINCTION CAN PRODUCE GREAT ENTERTAINMENT ON QUIET EVENINGS
on 4 April 2015
A wonderfully nostalgic selection of songs magnificently sung by Sir Thomas Allen - an excellent purchase
on 1 April 2015
Some lovely old songs on this CD and quite beautifully performed by the musicians.