Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 28 December 2016
Symphony of detail, colour and effort...but rubbish compared to 1950s Disney's .
on 8 August 2005
Metropolis is a perfect little film that blends traditional anime style animation and new computer graphics. The characters are so wonderful and involving it feels like a disney movie but is played out as a hard thriller and robotic apocalyptic carnage. Definetly one to see if you like anime or havent ever seen an anime film.
on 26 February 2006
There is much in the animation of this film that appears specatular, but there a plenty of areas where it fails to impress. Even though drawn excellently, the actual animation continuity seems "clunky", especially where the animators are not tying in with the CGI. Im not sure if it is to do with the transition from film to DVD but it was almost distracting to watch.
The pace of the story is ponderous, when I think its attempting to stir up the atmosphere of the city. No where does it really get beyond walking pace and strike any kind of emotion in the viewer.
I have to agree with a previous reviewer, the plot is poor. I am not asking for anything complex, just something thats believable, and a lot more original. This also reflects on the characters who, excuse the pun, remain two dimensional. There is nothing to relate to and any drama is watered down by the fact that there is nothing to care about.
Children will find this anime boring, and adults will find it unsatisfying. Forget this film and try out any offering from Studio Ghibli instead.
on 4 August 2002
Obviously considerable work went into creating Metropolis. At times the visuals are amazing in their detail and subtlety.
But while it looks good till the end, I was bored long before then with the characters and the story. The score is pretty unusual as well.
There are definately better anime choices available on amazon than this.
on 5 September 2009
A pretty empty story, ultimately lacked the guts to say anything proper, far too obsessed with being stylish to commit to anything substantial. So, pretty average Japanese pop culture, ...unfortunately - an average episode of a US scifi series or Doctor Who has a damn sight more depth. Absolutely BRILLIANT soundtrack, though - for which it gets a star!
on 5 August 2002
A must have for u'r anime colletion. Has a great look and feel about it, if a little strange on the plot side is u'r kind of thing then u have to watch it. Has some mint visuals in it, reminded me of Final Fantasy 7, and if u like the visuals in Blood the Las Vampire then u'll love this. As well as great visuals the sound track and music score is also mint,with a 1940/1950's feel and sound through out.
All I'm going to say is I loved it and if you want to know why then buy it, watch it, watch it again. I'm not even going to tell you what happens 'cause that'll spoill it 4 u.
on 14 July 2004
When I first saw metropolis it was after seeing Akira and I immediately
thought it was an inferiour film, but after growing for a few years
and watching many a film from the sci-fi/ anime genre I realised that
metropolis is infact incredibly well written.

The plot fringes on a number of Ideas that have been touched upon,
by hundereds of films over the years such as its main theme
of what is the difference between something being intelligent and someting
being alive.
And as with many people I cant help but be reminded of Blade runner, but
this in no way detracts from the film and I feel it adds another view
point to the overall discussion of what make us human.

Now my main sore point with this film is the overbearing use of
CGI against the traditional anime imagery, in my opinion it totally
overwhelms it and adds nothing to the imagery.
I think it actually ruins the feel of some scenes and makes the
original artform of anime seem poor in comparison.

My final word is that its a very well written anime that could have taken
anime to a whole other level, but sadly missed the mark by not using
its source material to its full potential.
And also by not using the anime art form to its full potential.
on 19 August 2005
after twenty minutes i was sick of this film, the story and animation style match up to each other. it has the story line of "ghost in the shell" and the animation for the 1960's, i couldn't relate to the characters in the film, and the ending should have happened twenty minutes before the actual ending, i watched this film with my cousion yesterday and half way though he said "could we watch something else?" my freind recomended this film to me, i wish he haden't. i can't give lower than one star, but, if i could, i would give none stars.
i love other kid's animated film's, spirited away, kiki's delivery service and so on, but if your family wants to watch a film that is fun, involving and brilliant, don't go for Metropolis as you will be disapointed.
I'm only glad that i borrowed the film of my freind.
on 22 May 2006
I saw a trailer of this move somewere and it was looking fantastic even if I'm not a really animation fun. After I watched the movie I felt a bit disappointed - the movie is good but I expected something better after I watched the trailer - actually that's what trailers are for...

For now I left the DVD on my shelf but I will watch it again in some time...
on 20 March 2004
Anime take on a classic with some nice touches which changes the story a little without lessening its bite (albeit adjusted in perspective).