RoboCop Trilogy [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 13 March 2018
The first release of the Robocop trilogy on Blu-Ray was poorly received mainly due to the poor transfer of the first film. I didn't even bother watching the 2nd and 3rd because I knew I was never going to keep it if the first film wasn't up to scratch. Waiting years down the line they finally announced a remastered Director's Cut of Robocop with all the trimmings displayed in the extras department. They released it as a single film and also a newly put together trilogy set. I really like Robocop 2 as bonkers at it is so decided to get the three film set.

First off the new transfer of Robocop is spot on. I doubt we we will ever see it any better, be good to see if 4K can add anything but I was more than satisfied and the extras were spot on with a notable men to a great cast and crew Q&A from 2012.

What surprised me how good the transfer of the sequel was. I am aware there are sadists out there who love Robocop 3, so much so Scream Factory released a collector's edition of it but I try stay away from it for health purposes.

For the price it is, definitely pick this up. It has good transfers and a load of extras of the first film which is what we all want, its a no brainer, buy it now.
5 people found this helpful
on 13 May 2013
I remember watching these on video a few yeas ago, as my dad had them and since Christmas Ive wanted to get the trilogy. The other day I decided to get it.

Opened the boxset up and was quite surprised by it. You open it up and it all folds out and shows Robocop head down to his shoulders in the background and the booklet is slipped in a front facing sleeve.

Robocop 1. Murphy has been transferred to a crime ridden Future Detroit, which is ran by a massive company. The company have have developed a huge crime-fighting robot, which unfortunately develops a rather dangerous glitch. The company sees a way to get back in favour with the public when a cop called Alex Murphy is killed by a street gang. Murphy's body is reconstructed within a steel shell and named Robocop. The Robocop is very successful against criminals, and becomes a target of a crimelord.

This one I enjoyed and is the only one to have a decent set of special features (Ill get on to them later) Some of the film looks dated i.e. the other robots as they were stop motion puppets pretty much, but doesnt take away from the film at all. The director of this is Paul Verhoeven (Starship Troopers, Total Recall) Now his Trademark and is Famous for his extremely violent, yet intelligent, science fiction films.

Robocop 2. Peter Weller is bakc as Robocop. After a successful deployment of the Robocop Law Enforcement unit, OCP sees its goal of urban pacification come closer and closer. But as this develops, a new narcotic known as "Nuke" invades the streets led by God-delirious leader Kane. As this menace grows, it may prove to be too much for Murphy to handle. OCP tries to replicate the success of the first unit, but ends up with failed prototypes with suicidal issues... until Dr. Faxx, a scientist straying away from OCP's path uses Kane as the new subject for the Robocop 2 project, a living God.

I quite enjoyed this as well. Verhoeven didnt direct this film, instead Irvin Kershner directs (Empire Strikes Back) The film is full of violence but it's mainly of the long-range bullets-hit-bad-guys type: the only thing close to the original's over-the-top nature was the brain removal and the stomach-slicing. This isnt as good as the first but still is an ok sci fi action film.

Robocop 3. The mega corporation Omni Consumer Products is still bent on creating their pet project, Delta City, to replace the rotting city of Detroit. Unfortunately, the inhabitants of the area have no intention of abandoning their homes simply for desires of the company. To this end, OCP have decided to force them to leave by employing a ruthless mercenary army to attack and harass them. An underground resistance begins and in this fight, Robocop must decide where his loyalties lie

Peter Weller is not back for this one as Robocop, Nancy Allen is back as Lewis. I didnt like this one, everything on robocop just was an upgrade and didnt have any notion to explain how he got them bar one item. Really this wasnt really a needed film and didnt take that much money which helped lead to Orion go bust.

DVD Special Features:
Featured on Robocop Special Edition:
Option to watch Directors cut or original theatrical version
New documentary: Flesh and steel, the making of Robocop
Featurette: Shooting Robocop
Featurette: Making Robocop
Deleted scenes including directors cut footage with live stage direction
Trailers
TV Commercial
Photo Gallery
Storyboard comparison with Phil Tippett commentary
Commentary with director Paul Verhoeven, screenwriter Edward Neumeier and Jon Davison
Collectable booklet

Language Information:
Robocop Special Edition:
Languages in Dolby Digital 5.1: English
Subtitles: English, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, Portuguese, Polish, Greek, Hungarian, Hebrew, Turkish, Czechoslovakian, English hard of hearing

Robocop 2 and 3:
Languages in Dolby Surround: English, German, French
Italian Dolby, Spanish Dolby
Subtitles: French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, English hard of hearing, German hard of hearing
1.85 widescreen 16:9 version
5 people found this helpful
on 16 July 2016
I grabbed this to replace the DVD copies that I had of Robocop 1 and 2 (the latter I had to import from Japan in order to get the multi-channel audio soundtrack). Anyway, it's a great transfer, and I thought that the audio qualities on Robocop 2 were particularly good. Just avoid watching the lame duck Robocop 3, because (a) Peter Weller doesn't play Robocop and (b) the storyline is dire. Worth the buy for 1 & 2 alone. Recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 March 2017
Solid trilogy set. Bear in mind that though it contains the remastered orginal, this doesn't contain the recent remasters of 2 and 3.
4 people found this helpful
on 3 March 2011
I love the Robocop movies, the first one I have seen endless times nad enjoy it everytime, particularly the directors cut which is included in this disk set. My thoughts of Robocop 2 differ to some other people here, I found it very enjoyable and another one of those films I can watch time and time again. Peter Weller did a great job of bringing the byborg to life in both of them.

Then we get to Robocop 3, oh dear..........what an insult it is, truly terrible. Robert John Burke plays the role of the cyborg in this one, he himself was an insult to the original Robocop, coupled with terrible scripting, dialogue and dumbed down visuals made to look more like a kids film this is by far the weakest in the package. The minute Robert steps out of the car at the start and says "You called for backup" then sticks his bottom lip out you know it is going to suck.

I wanted to buy these on dvd for ages and I`m glad I have it at last since I could not find it in shops at all, it`s a shame you are forced to be dumped with the third piece of rubbish, that disk is not even worthy of sitting under my cup of coffee, Robocop one and two though will get plenty of use for my viewing pleasure.

If you like Robocop or any kind of scifi with cyborgs then you can`t go wrong with this, great value with good features.
on 25 April 2017
Great price on some classics. The blu rays look good. To me not great but getting there. For the price i'm very happy to have this trilogy in my collection. Haven't looked at the extra's yet but I'm sure they will be interesting.
on 1 November 2013
The first part of the trilogy is the one to watch. Cinematography and plot is at its best, although the robotics and vFX are out-dated, the scenario is coherent and gripping. A movie that can be watched relentlessly. The Bluray quality may not be the best but for the price it is better than the DVD. No extras included, only a trailer included on each of the Blurays.

The second episode is not very bad, still having some strong points and tries to continue where the first one ended, however, poor compared to first.

For the third part, the only thing I can say is, it is similar to "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace", if you see what I mean...
4 people found this helpful
on 1 April 2016
Robocop the original movie was a masterpiece of excess.I always found it amusing that here and in the U.S. this was rated as an 18 (R) and cut,whilst in Japan the un cut version as now presented was more or less considered a kids film.Parts 2 & 3 are vastly inferior but still enjoyable.
on 12 March 2015
I brought this for 1 and 2, the third being a made for TV movie that is awful by any measure. While the first Robocop film is still a classic the second is not, too many years since my last viewing had left me with an over fond memory of the later. If I could go back in time I would buy just the first film at the lesser price. Other than that this is still worth the money as this box set was 2nd hand, therefore very cheap, and the first film is worth every penny!
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 21 January 2017
RoboCop 1 has all of the extras, 2 & 3 has just the films & trailers.
2 people found this helpful