Customer reviews

LONG SHOT NOVENA
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 March 2002
Eileen Rose is amazing. Long Shot Novena is Superb. Labelled as country, but so diverse as to incorporate essences of Emmylou Harris, Janis Joplin, Walker Brothers, Marianne Faithfull, Kate Bush. Especially Bush - maybe that's what attracts me to her. Some of the lines and melodic phrasing could come form Kate herself. But I don't want you to think that I'm missing Kate in a James Stewart/Vertigo way, just listen to this stunningly ecclectic album for yourself.
on 16 February 2002
I've been following Eileen Rose's progress for some two years now, ever since I saw a glowing review of her debut album, Shine Like It Does, in Mojo magazine. That was a brilliant album, a really interesting and moving mix of rock, country, swamp rock and even pop. Eileen's voice was amazing, and the songs, well, I didn't think they wrote them like that anymore. And, somehow, Long Shot Novena is even better, and even more varied. See How I Need You is really pretty, Snake's like a rockabilly Elvis rocker, Good Man is big countrified rock, and the quiter songs are just beautiful and heartbreaking. For Marlene, about her murdered best friend's mother, is my favourite, but Tom Waits Crooning, where it's just Eileen and (I think) a viola is really just as good. Like I say, it's a great album. It's funny, furious and tremendously emotional. Anyone who likes Lambchop, Tom McRae or David Gray and especially Eileen's own favourites (Kate Bush and Tom Waits) will love it.
on 26 February 2002
Eileen rose has come up with another stunning set of songs. The lyrics have a depth and honesty about them than in her previous cd and single where she wore her heart on her sleeve for all to hear..... I love this album and her forthcoming gigs at Borderline and Cherry jam promise to be the bargains of the year... where for under a tenner can you experience such beautifully crafted songs sung by an angel of our time? I hope that Eileen is not going home but here to stay for another 9 years at least......
on 25 February 2002
I first saw Eileen Rose in January 2001 and fell instantly in love with her voice. Her first solo album, Shine Like It Does, hasn't left my CD multi-changer in a year - and Long Shot Novena looks like it is going to be joining it there in residence.
Eileen has an amazing voice, soft and gentle one minute, and then belting it out the next. Her songs are very insightful as you share in her pain and join in her laughter.
Long Shot Novena has some songs which will send shivers up and down your spine and reduce you to tears like "White Dove's Awake" and "For Marlene" - and others where it is impossible not to tap your foot and clap along - "Big Dog" and "Wheels Going By".
She also has some superb musicians on this album too - including Glen Matlock from the Sex Pistols who plays bass on "Snake" - a particularly "slimey" song with Kris Dollimore from Del Amitri duetting with Eileen. Kris helped produce this album along with fellow Del Iain Harvie, who also provides pedal steel guitar. Their bandmate Mark Price is on drums. Eileen's long-time musical partner, Dave Bull is there too, along with her other regular bandmates including Barry Payne and Orlando Harrison.
For me, highlights of the album are "Tom Waits Crooning", "White Dove's Awake", "Good Man" and "Big Dog". But there isn't a duff track anywhere to be found on this superb album.
on 26 December 2006
I have recently discovered this amazing artist through a friend of mine (she's very into Ryan Adams, Nick Cave and Neil Young). She played this record for me and I was blown away. I can't believe I missed this. Ms. Rose is an extremely rare songwriter - sincere, fresh, truly moving. Her voice makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. This is an amazing record and I recommend it to any serious music fan who wants to be challenged, moved and rocked at the same time. Can't wait to hear her new one - Come The Storm. I'm in love.
on 26 April 2002
What music has needed for years is a new influx of genuine personalities, real people to save us from boy-bands or the latest indie fad. That's why it's so great to see Eileen Rose appear because she's as real as they come. Long Shot Novena is a classic, very varied but consistently excellent, and marked throughout by Eileen's incredible way with melody. It can be tragic, as with For Marlene, and lovelorn as with White Dove's Awake, but it's also really funny, as when she goes all girlie with See How I Need You, and then predatory with Snake. Really, this is a fantastic album, and you should own a copy - it's even better than her last album, Shine Like It Does.
on 5 April 2002
Well, I think this one is better than SHINE LIKE IT DOES, IMO maybe the most overrated 'folk/rock' album of last year. Yes, there is some phrasing
& lyricism that recalls Kate Bush or Kristen Hersh, and rootsy delivery that occasionally bears favorable comparison with, say, The Indigo Girls. She uses her voice better here (e.g., check out neo-Appalachian closer "Big Dog"), but overall I don't find anything that special. I do especially like the duet with Del Amitri's Keith Lattimore on "Snake." Not bad, but check out Anna Rider's POCKETS OF FIRE if you really want a powerful roots/folk rock album with memorable lyrics.
on 14 December 2004
Well I followed up an Amazon 'people who bought' link and seeing the positive reviews comparing this CD to Kristin Hersh I took a punt. Big mistake. If the nasal whining voice doesn't drive me nuts the dreary lumpen predictable yet curiously pretentious songs surely will. Unlike the other negative reviewers I find her voice insufferable - nasal, shrieky-grating and devoid of redeeming harmonics. How this can be compared to Kristin Hersh I cannot fathom. But this is just my view, to be balanced against the other reviews. For reference, my idea of great women singers and creative music would include Kristin, Carina Round, Patty Griffin, Rachael Yamagata, Lucinda Williams, Eliza Gilkyson, Laurie Anderson, etc.
on 15 February 2015