Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 19 May 2004
Sadly, I could only give this album five stars, when it actually deserves six!! I haven't come across an album like this in a long, long time, and doubt I will for a while! It is very rare that I fall in love with an album fully so quickly. Usually, I will find an album that I love all but may be one or two tracks, but every single track on this album is so well arranged, the music is so truely diverse. So many people have tried to mix various styles of music, but for Jamie and Duncan, they have obviously made something special, that took them on a big journey (geographically, professionally and emotionally)!
You are moved as a listener, joy, sadness, uplifting, and many more.
The truely haunting sound of Michael Stipe meeting Bollywood, and drum and bass is something to be heard by anyone, regardless of musical taste. A personal favourite is Ma' Afica which is the track I heard as a single (different mix from the album though!)it is beautiful, yet energetic.
This REALLY is WORLD music, a label on a genre that is often abused when it comes to contempory world music. This is real artists, recording all over the world, with real instruments, with a little electronicness added.
It beats Banco De Gaia, Deep Forest, etc hands down for the journey it takes you on. I hope 1 Giant Leap do a sequel, as good or better than this!
on 3 March 2014
Great concept, and I am surprised it has taken me so long to come across this. I would recommend the DVD of the series of programmes about how this was made. It is a great idea of recording a backing track and then taking this around the world to various musical vocalists and allowing them to add their voice to what has been previously recorded by artists from another continent. It is so well mixed, and vastly different styles and cultures marry together so well to produce an album that gives you joy and enjoyment. This has been played continuously since I purchased it.
on 25 February 2004
Definition of a great idea:
Get to travel world the world, recording some of the best thinkers, philosophers and singers in the world. Then make a number one album out of it.
This was a very ambitious project, and one that managed to shrink the global village to sixty minutes of truly soulful tunes
To think that Michael Stipes' incredible voice was merged so well with instruments called a putorino and a kora, shows a truly global perspective when it comes to producing. "The way you dream" also hums along to trance jungle beats and some very energetic hand drumming and the crazy thing is I would be seriously impressed if anyone could make this song sound better. The amalgamation of all these instruments just seems to make sense on an album that truly is a window on the world.
"Braided Hair" and "Daphne", however, are my two favourite tracks on this album. But the is no bum note. The entire album screams originality and a passion to innovate that is so lacking in pop music these days.
Listening to these while surfing round the Mentawi Islands in Indonesia, not only did they improve an already outstanding aesthetic, but they bring it back to me everytime I listen to the album. But I am not talking about the weather, food, surf, etc. I am talking about the simultaneous feeling of peace and freedom that I felt at the time.
As it says on the album, "music is a gift from God". This made me believe.
on 18 May 2009
I was lucky to review this album just before its official release, more than just world music and much more than pop. Impossible to categorise the calibre of artists involved make sure that it is timeless and gets played time and time again. There was a follow up TV series on Channel 4 (UK) featuring new artists and songs. Just when will that CD become available? I have seen hints of something being around but at the time of writing nothing definite.
on 10 December 2012
Ten years after this masterpiece was released it never ceases to amaze me how many artist record and release such bland, uninspired and formulaic dross.
This is an absolutely stunning recording and everything within is very much in the right place as indeed is the case with its mighty successor released " What About Me " released in 2009. Contemporary music simply doesn't get any better than this. Enjoy and embrace the joy within.
on 3 November 2003
Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born. ~Anais Nin (1903-1977)
The first time I listened to this CD, I listened to "All Alone" obsessively. I became so intoxicated with a feeling of immense completeness as every sadness in my soul dissolved into pure love.
The world could have disappeared and I would have been standing in the middle of a field of crimson roses all blooming to the sound of Duncan Bridgeman singing: "If you stay or if you go." The friend who sent me the CD said to listen to the track before I went to bed and I've never experienced such a healing gift. In life, you often meet people who will give you gifts your soul needs and then at times friends can work together to heal the world.
When Jamie Catto met Duncan Bridgeman it was a random moment in time. Like most creative friendships they found they had so much in common. Once they started talking they realized they had similar beliefs about the state of modern music. Jamie was the singer and keyboardist in the UK band Faithless and Duncan Bridgeman had been mixing albums for big-name artists. Together they have created a CD I can hardly believe exists.
I had no idea the impact it would make on me. I also didn't realize you could fall madly "in love" with a CD. ;) Once "My Culture" takes off, you are going to understand the meaning of "primal high on a soul level."
"I'm what I feel, what I'm feeling is surreal
I'm a mass of spinning wheels
Always digging in my heels
Now I've got the faith to
Fall back again
Crawl from the warm waters
Don't ever forget
You're on your feet again
Your feet again" ~My Culture
This CD is a spiritual journey into a land where you can escape from ordinary consciousness. You will feel you connect instantly with the universal wisdom in the lyrics. There is a richness of culture in the freeing dance of philosophy and world music. Multicultural voices mingle with beautiful intellectual tangents. Visual images dance through your mind as the music creates a deep soothing soul vibration that radiates through you like the most comforting feeling you have ever experienced.
"The Way You Dream" is one of my favorite songs as it blends the mysterious voice of Indian star Asha Bhosle with the completely intoxicating voice of Michael Stipe.
This CD also features Dennis Hopper, Kurt Vonnegut, Robbie Williams, Tom Robbins, Senegal's Baaba Maal, Ram Dass, Gabrielle Roth, the South African Mahotella Queens, Neneh Cherry, New Zealand's Whiri Mako Black, Revetti Sakalar and Eddi Reader.
1 Giant Leap is a fusion of sound and word captured through travels in Senegal, Ghana, South Africa, Uganda, Kenya, Bombay, New Delhi, Calcutta, Bangkok, South East Asia, Los Angeles, New York, India, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand. This CD is the result of recordings from 25 countries.
Jamie Catto and Duncan Bridgeman literally spent six months traveling across the globe with a mobile studio and crew. Together they recorded storytellers, shopkeepers, authors, artists, philosophers and even cabdrivers. Each song contains a mixture of sounds and lyrics from various parts of the globe.
The chants, ethereal cries and primal rhythms will at times send chills up your spine. When Michael Franti sings "We are alive with the spirit of our passion" you can't help wanting to live, and live for a long, long time so you can see all your dreams become a reality.
The entire CD really represents a unity humanity could strive for if they could find peaceful resolutions to the issues haunting us all. The themes of the album are death, confrontation, sex, money, blasphemy, faith, happiness, inspiration, time, masks and unity.
Healing, loving, intoxicatingly spiritual and poetic beyond words. Perhaps the most beautiful music I've ever heard. 1 Giant Leap shows our humanity, the wide diversity of cultures and the beauty of unity through music.
~TheRebeccaReview.com
on 5 June 2009
This is a great piece of creativity, exploration and love of humanity. Very well done. Thankyou
on 30 March 2003
A spiritual tour-de-force that belongs in a category all of its own. Does it go next to your Putamayo World Music Cds or next to AIR and Royksopp? You can't even shelve it alphabetically (look at the name).
This is an album not a world music compilation. It has a unifying theme (spirituality wherever, whoever you are) and a captivating musical honesty. The fact that the various artists did not record together in the same studio makes this all the more amazing. From the start we have Senegal's Baaba Maal coming in with his magical voice over traditional indian music, we know we're onto something special. On track three, Sir Michael accompanies Indian tabla and Bollywood staple Asha Bhosle with his mournful murmur and enigmatic lyrics. And so on... it seems that having all the artists record seperately in their own home, has allowed them to express themselves truthfully and as a result, they accompany each other on record far better than had they been in the same studio. The skill of Jamie Catto and Duncan Bridgeman lies in their neat evasion of the usual 'world music fusion' formula by some surprising musical invention. Ambient drum and bass fades in and out over tabla, hip-hop beats are used effectively, but nothing feels tacked on - the fact that such diparate cultures work so well together means that, musical success aside, the philosophy of the project has been redeemed. Buy this amazing album and leave 'Pan Pipe Moods' on the shelf, you'll feel invigorated. I promise.
on 17 March 2008
Just awesome. Fantastic musicians and mixing. Fave tracks 'Love the way you dream' and 'Daphne'. Worth buying even if you only like two tracks, but I personally love them all. If you're into travelling you will probably love it. Whole album is just an epic journey in itself. And quite spiritual. Just try it and see.
on 18 December 2013
I have bought this one becasuse the song " My culture" that appears on Blue Horizon surf movie, it is a very nice song a hip hop and pop mix that sounds pretty pretty good. The other songs are very interesting and they are a good soundtrack for every day. I bought it secondhand but it is like brand new!