Format: DVD|Change

Jennifer Lopez's best work after the universally admired Out Of Sight. This time she is a tough street cop whose life is saved by an almost ethereal stranger (Jim Caviezel). They then tentatively begin a relationship, one which forces them both to confront the emotional traumas they are each carrying around.

Personally, I liked the way the movie toys with our expectations, something that I didn't find erratic or in any way trite. In fact, both leads are splendid and rather than compartmentalize Angel Eyes as a chicks' movie, I would say that it has a perfectly balanced appeal for both men and women, provided they haven't an aversion to Lopez founded on her offscreen reputation for unbearable diva-like behaviour.

Rent it first if you're not sure, but this is a good film.
on 17 January 2004
I don`t really know why I bought this film, but I`m glad that I did. I`ve never seen Lopez act before and didn`t have very high hopes, but she really did do the part justice.
The film follows Sharon (Lopez) a Chicago police officer who gets rescued by Catch (Caviezel-never seen him before either but also very good). It turns out that they have met before and will keep on meeting. The films carries on with Catch helping Sharon to deal with her past and Sharon helping Catch to deal with his past-all leading to apredictable end.
This is in essence a romance, bur a dark one. A word of warning, if you don`t like dark films, you won't like this one. If you do like dark films this is one to watch, with a good plot done well.
on 22 August 2002
I have to confess that I was a bit dubious about borrowing this DVD from my local library but the blurb on the case looked intriguing and as there was nothing on the telly worth watching, I thought, "what the heck, why not?"
This is a cracker of a film, not to everyones taste but I thought it was great.
The plot is quite complex but surprisingly easy to follow. Jennifer Lopez plays a dedicated cop called Sharon who has her fair share of emotional demons to cope with, along with a stressful job, an over protective partner, and a family life that is fast going down the proverbial toilet. James Caviezel plays Catch, a mysterious young man who comes into her life abruptly, saving her from a gun-toting assailant. They know each other but are unable to voice this knowledge because they are perfect strangers...aren't they? The story steadily moves through Sharon and Catch's lives as they come to terms with secrets, family ghosts and their blossoming love for each other. This is an unusual love story, with great camera angles, and the flash back between past and present is done with a ghost like subtly that makes you shiver. And no, Jennifer Lopez doesn't burst into song every five seconds, in fact it is James Caviezel who has the musical ability, playing jazz on a trumpet in an elegant downtown bar as Lopez watches on in delight. Also the musical score is great which makes this film all the more watchable.
All the cast in this film are great, right down to Bob the stray mutt that Catch takes in and gives a home.
This is a smart film for smart people. So if you aren't smart, don't bother watching it, you won't understand it, and you might hurt your brain cells in the process.
on 17 January 2003
I wasn't entirely sure I'd done the right thing when I bought the film. However, it was very "Bone Collector"-like initially , but with a twist. My daughter enjoyed it too -she sat gripped all the way through. It's a family film really, dealing with personal relationships, loss, recovery, and other people dealing with your dealing with a loss - if you follow that. Yes, I think this is a film for a 'thinking' viewer - if you are looking for flashy stunts and SFX then forget it. It's not for you. If you are sentimental or romantic, then it probably is for you and you will enjoy it. Lopez is great in the lead role and Caveziel gives a great performance of someone stunned by a shocking loss. In fact he seems almost disabled or mentally impaired initially, but obviously well intentioned. One of the best 50 films I've ever seen, but I can understand it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Lopez seems to change her look every scene and is beautiful throughout. Recommended.
on 25 May 2007
After "catching" the last half-hour or so of this film on television a few weeks ago I picked up the DVD -- I love weepy stories with happy endings. Within 30 seconds of the opening titles, I was completely surprised and riveted by Angel Eyes. Characters, story, it all worked for me. I won't even try to find fault, the film felt "personal."

Jennifer Lopez is credible as Sharon Pogue, well-liked, a tough, impatient cop with a relentless sense of right and wrong. She is quick to reject anyone trying to get too close, yet her bravado fades when she is alone at night. Her baggage is her estrangement from family. Of course she would fall for the strange, gentle man who pursues her. (I came upon Ms. Lopez and crew filming a music video near my office a few years ago -- she was great to watch.)

James Caviezel's portrayal of Catch is, for me, the personification of grief. What happened to this guy, this artistic, loving man, would not be easily gotten over. I once lost someone whom I could not afford to lose, and all I could do for that person was grieve completely then decide to go on living. I recognized such grief in watching Caviezel, with his detachment and his shuffling walk. By the way, my theory about his name, "Catch," is that the last thing he heard before impact was his son's voice calling "Daddy, catch!" then playfully throwing a toy that went uncaught.

Sonia Braga stands out as Sharon's mother, the faithful wife of a hard man. Shirley Knight shines as Catch's mother-in-law, who hopes he can "see the love in it" in spite of himself as she reaches out to him. Terrence Howard, as Sharon's partner, brought life to his character with humor and affection. Kari Matchett, as Catch's neighbor Candace, cracked me up with her venomous, one-sided telephone conversation. And wasn't Sharon's boring date here played by nasty old Theron (Dominic West) from this year's 300? I couldn't find the character or his name listed in the credits. The soundtrack, by Marco Beltrami and various artists, is good support, reminiscent in places of minimalist John Adams, other times sounding like a broken toy.

There are special features (at least on the US DVD): Luis Mandoki's droll commentary is very entertaining. In it, he describes Jennifer Lopez's ease in performing the fence-jumping stunt that the stuntwoman wasn't able to pull off. That being the case, I don't see any reason why she couldn't restrain a bad guy.

Interestingly, this movie is not coy or overly manipulative. It is what it is - a love story about two hurt people who decide to risk loving each other, to start from scratch, and choose to live. It is not Sixth Sense. While there are dead people, there are no ghosts. Catch it!
on 4 June 2014
I love this film and everyone gives a great performance. I cried when J C went to his wife and son's grave and finally let his emotions out about that day and who he has met and how wonderful she is.
on 11 December 2012
Not really a one for writing reviews but this film was so better than I had expected. Acting from Jim caviezel and Miss Lopez was exellent.
Would recommed to any fan of Mr. Caviezel.
on 14 March 2010
This dvd wasn't quite what I expected. Although I thought there might be a bit of suspense or action in it I was a bit disappointed to see that really it is just a love story. Jennider Lopez plays the part well though so worth a watch.
on 28 July 2005
When I first saw this film on channel four,I was hooked.I watched a home recording I made of it but it was'nt complete.Then i bought the video of it and watched it about five or six times.You must buy it.
Tanya Jones
on 23 July 2009
J-Lo is a real surprise in this thoughtful and heart-warming film. The characterisation, story-line and direction are all well done. A film that is definitely worth watching more that once.