on 3 June 2015
I loved this movie. Violent, bleak, blackly humourous in parts. Classic Kitano. However, I can only post these views after buying the Second Sight version of this film (2009). That version is full screen widescreen and has a wonderful documentary special feature "Takeshi Kitano: The Unpredictable", which features an extended interview with Kitano filmed over a series of days. Most importantly though, the Second Sight version of this DVD has COMPLETE subtitles. The Tokyo Bullet version (1998) of this movie on the other hand has an image with a big black border all the way around it, no documentary special feature and the subtitles are TERRIBLE. Not only are there big chinks of subtitles missing, but the words that are there, when compared to the Second Sight release, don't seem to come close to being a true representation of what is being said (I don't speak Japanese obviously so I can't be certain, but the story makes a lot more sense in the Second Sight version).
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 7 November 2016
Perfectly captures the era, plus Beat Takeshi's classic blend of hardcore violence and comedy. But the subtitles are awful, leaving many lines completely untranslated.
on 17 July 2007
This film seems to be pretty good but the overall effect is spoiled but its having the worst subtitles ever. It would seem that, at best, only around one in every three sentences is titled, which means that you might get the answer to a question but not the question itself (or vice versa). In parts, whole conversation sequences go by with no indication of what's being said. So I guess, unless you speak Japanese, I would recommend not buying this version. Pity really.
8 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 16 December 2013
That's why I havn't given it a full 5 stars. I don't know whether the subtitles that ARE in it are acurate, as I don't know much Japanese. But I do know that a great deal of dialogue can go by without any subtitling at all. This happens a lot.

Still, even with that, it's a classic of Takeshi Kitano. As the title says, it's about a violent cop. It has a disturbing intro scene involving a homeless man that sets the tone for the rest of the film, especialy Asuma's way of dealing with the problem. He's not one for following the book. I should add though it's not all aggression. There's actualy a lot of scenes which have a nice calm to them.

I first saw this on late night TV back in about 1998 (it still had the half baked subtitles then) and liked it. And still do. Good piece of Japanese filmaking
on 8 August 2012
I couldn't believe how bad the subtitles were on this movie. They miss out whole sections of the dialogue. I tried imagining that whoever was responsible had missed out bits that were unnecessary to the plot to give the film a minimalist feel, but that didn't last when I realised that whole parts of conversations were being left out. I gave up watching in frustration. Instead, I bought the original video release, dusted off the old video machine from the attic and lo and behold, I enjoyed watching a fantastic early Beat Takeshi movie. If you still have a video, I'd recommend it.
on 1 May 2014
How can you produce a DVD in a language that most people don't speak, and provide it with these kind of subtitles? They skipped complete dialogues. This is just stupid! If you don't feel like translating a movie, then don't and sell it without subs, at least the customers then know what they can expect to get for their money!
on 18 February 2016
Great film, especially if you like Takeshi Kitano, which I do.
on 19 February 2015
A very good movies of takeshi original cop violent powerful bloody and intensive
on 2 September 2016
An absolute classic! It may look dated initially, but it's an absolute classic.
on 4 May 2016