• Gold
  • Customer reviews

Gold
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 April 2017
'Gold' is such a wonderful album and one of my favorite albums ever. Ryan Adams is one of those rarities who stay highly productive from the beginning to the end and don't get captivated by the work they've done in the past. His latest album 'Prisoner' proves that. Even though it's an unusually long record (17 songs, over 70 minutes) it doesn't have any 'filler' tracks and includes some of his best lyrics to date, note that it's a self-written album, which is a great detail. Definitely suggest it to anyone who's reading this and on the fence about buying it.
2 people found this helpful
on 15 August 2009
I have been aware of Ryan Adams for many years now, but some of his offerings have not been to my taste, however every now and again I would hear a really superb track of his being played on the radio and I would think that it was time I took a closer look at this artist. So I did! I purchased two CDs of his work. This CD which is quite simply stunning and Cold Roses which I found disappointing. Having listened through this CD on numerous occasions over the past few days, I can safely say there does not appear to be a duff track anywhere. Even if this was a weak album, it would really be worth every penny for the two outstanding numbers 'The Rescue Blues' (Track 5) and 'Nobody Girl' (Track 8). Both evoke memories of the Rolling Stones at their late 60s early 70s peak, so good is his work on this album. This offering just illustrates how good great country rock can be and how close the two genres are interlinked. But then again those of us who grew up on a mixture of The Stones, Emmylou Harris, Neil Young, Gram Parsons, Dylan, The Eagles, Springsteen etc etc will already be acutely aware of this fact. If you are a music snob who shuns anything related to country music I would strongly recommend that you put aside your pre conceived ideas, expand your mind, and have a listen to this album. I guarantee that you will be amazed and impressed in equal measure.
One person found this helpful
on 28 August 2016
This is brilliant, and I can't get La Cienega Just Smiled out of my head! Would recommend buying the UK version if you're buying it digitally - two quid cheaper and you get an extra track!
2 people found this helpful
on 27 August 2014
the best album i've heard in years. and that simply isn't an exaguation. everything about this album just ooozes class. i picked it up on a whim after hearing a couple of songs on This Is 40. take a chance. picked up the album (also got Disctruction in a 2 in 1 cd set) bargain. can't go wrong. some of his up tempo rock songs sound like early Rolling Stones..
on 26 March 2018
Some reviews have complained about the pressing of this record. I got mine. No issues. This can happen to any record you buy, it's always going to be pot luck.
on 11 April 2018
Good value good vinyl poor packaging - 2 LPS no booklet and a cardboard cover that your kids could fasten better together
on 22 January 2018
brilliant thanks
on 15 February 2017
A great place to start, just discovered the man. Where have I been. Ordered the new one instantly. Love it.
on 25 February 2018
OK not fantastic
on 29 April 2018
Had this on CD, then mp3 and now vinyl. Gets better and better with age, like a fine wine!