Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Worried Blues Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 25 April 2015
Everything as promised
on 7 February 2005
I bought this, along with the CD, after hearing some of the recordings on a now disbanded (more's the pity) country radio station in London; of particular interest was Dan Tyminski's 'Man of Constant Sorrow'. It was the music that introduced me to the film 'Oh Brother!' and not the other way around, which seems to be the consensus. The performances by Alison Krauss, Emmylou and Gillian Welch are mesmerising - I don't know which one I'm in love with most! Suzanne Cox has one of the sweetest voices I've ever heard (it's a close run thing with Alison) and is liable to bring a tear to the eye (for the sentimental among us).
John Hartford makes for a composed, dry humoured compere: "How many of yo'll DO NOT know who Ralph Stanley is?". I'm sure the 'guilty' were shrinking into their seats (here's your hat, what's your hurry?). It is evident from the audience how enjoyable this performance was. I must agree, to a large extent, with an earlier commentator about backstage flashes during performances being a cause of irritation. While they are insightful, Chris Thomas King's 'John Law' (a fantastic blues track) was ruined by them. A word of warning for Oh Brother fans: the film, somewhat surprisingly, doesn't contain Soggy Bottom Boys' Man of Constant Sorrow; it's on the CD. Nevertheless, this remains a very entertaining DVD and, from my point of view, a worthwhile purchase. The music is timeless and can be enjoyed over and over again.
Keep on the sunny side!
on 31 January 2002
The inaccuracies (in content and order) on the packaging are irritating, but not as irritating as discovering from the end titles all the other songs that mysteriously failed to appear in the film itself. Presumably this is an edited-for-cinema version of the documentary/concert film, but it's also a huge missed opportunity, specially since the running time is comparatively short (the concert section runs only about an hour) and there are no other added features on the DVD. I wouldn't bother to make these points if the music that's actually here weren't so wonderful. There's nothing here that isn't joyful and treasurable, but the Fairfield Four's Po' Lazarus will make the back of your head prickle. It's all just about enough to stop me taking my complaint further. Five stars for actual content, averaged out with zero for all other aspects.
on 5 February 2005
I bought this along with the CD after hearing some of the recordings on a now disbanded country radio station in London (there are now none at all that I know of, more's the pity); of particular interest was Dan Tyminski's 'Man of Constant Sorrow'. It was the music that introduced me to the film 'Oh Brother!' and not the other way around, which seems to be the consensus. The performances by Alison Krauss, Emmylou and Gillian Welch are mesmerising - I don't know which one I'm in love with most! Suzanne Cox has, probably, the sweetest voice I think I've ever heard (it's a close run thing with Alison) and is liable to bring a tear to the eye (for the sentimental among us).
John Hartford was the composed, dry humoured compere of a performance I would very much have liked to attend; it is evident from the audience how enjoyable it was. I must agree to some extent with an earlier commentator about backstage flashes during performances causing irritation. While they are insightful, Chris Thomas King's 'John Law' (a fantastic blues track) was ruined by them. Nevertheless, this remains a thoruoughly entertaining DVD and, from my point of view, a worthwhile purchase. The music is timeless and can be enjoyed over and over again.
Keep on the sunnyside!
on 10 May 2011
This dvd is a live concert featuring the music from the film "oh brother where art thou". Actually, I wasn't a fan of the film as such but did like the music. I saw this dvd at a friend's house and spent the next year trying to get hold of a copy!

It's amazing. It features some incredible artists and musicianship and is light-hearted and fun to watch. The more I seem to watch it, the more I see and hear and appreciate how brilliant they all are.

Allison Krauss has an astonishing voice, as does Gillian Welch and of course Emmylou Harris. John Hartford plays the fiddle like no other can and is backed up by some amazing musicians. There are light-hearted sessions from The Fairfield Four and the The Peasall Sisters and some brilliant deep south stuff from Allison Krauss and Ralph Stanley, as well as a stack of other stuff too.

My only complaint is that it's too short and should go on for several hours!
on 3 March 2013
Saw the Concert on "SkyArts1" in the first place, and hunted down this DVD copy after some fortuitous internet research.
My brother and his (American) wife live in Florida, so Christmas and Birthdays are always a challenge, but this this DVD ticked a few boxes all at once, so well done to the vendors for serving up a Region 1 edition for me to send Trans-Atlantic to them!!!!!!!
(N.B: Hats off to Messrs. Krauss, Harris, Welch, Cox and Chris Thomas King who all deliver super individual and collective performances throughout this magical evening of music and song).
on 31 October 2007
This is a wonderful DVD with well known artists like Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch, good performances as always, but also some less known and well hidden gems: artists like The Cox Family and the Peasall Sisters. I hadn't seen the movie, a friend recommended to listen to the music. Thanks to him, I now own another beautiful piece of very good music.

Worth buying! You won't regret it!

Ciao, Klaas
on 19 March 2015
If you like Blue Grass and Country and Western you'll love this. If you haven't seen the film buy it and see the film, if you have, buy it and the dvd and see the film again. I bought it for "the Big Rock Candy Mountain", others will perhaps indulge more refined tastes but there is something here for anyone who enjoys the genre.
on 20 September 2010
The music from the film O Brother, where art thou - concert in Nashville with the original artists. The first 15 minutes drags a bit but once the concert starts it brings you straight back to the film. Great great performances
on 2 November 2014
Does exactly what it should when it should.