Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

I can't believe the quality of the recordings on this CD, currently available at an amazing price. Whilst they are vintage recordings the sound reproduction is excellent. 'Ultimate Collection' is quite a claim, but it's certainly a top quality collection of seasonally themed classical music and carols.

It's a lovely CD to have playing quietly in the background as you go about Christmas preparations. So many pieces are special favourites, the atmospheric 'Troika', beloved carols like Deck the Halls and O Litttle Town of Bethlehem, Stille Nacht (Silent Night in the original German, sung by the Kings' Singers) along with Leroy Anderson's American 'Sleigh Ride'.

There are four wonderful recordings from the internationally renowned mixed choir of Clare College, Cambridge. The world famous composer John Rutter was the choirmaster at Clare College from 1975-79, and he is credited on the sleeve notes, although the recordings of the choir would appear to be copyrighted from 1967 and 1970, which is slightly confusing.

The sleeve notes are in tiny print, but worth reading, and informative. I didn't know that a Bacchanale is a boisterous Russian winter dance in honour of Bacchus, god of wine, but thanks to the notes on Glazunov's lively and very familiar Bacchanale, I do now. A super buy and one that will never date.
on 11 May 2017
I like it
on 13 November 2016
super
on 12 January 2016
Love it takes me back to being a child
on 26 November 2004
This is the best compilation I know of Christmas classical 'lollipops'. There are three sleigh-rides (Leroy Anderson's, Frederick Delius's, and Sergei Prokofiev's 'Troika', the latter popularised many years ago in the Sauter-Finnegan arrangement); three excerpts from Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony, including the enchanting arrangement of 'The First Nowell' which the BBC used as the signature-tune to its dramatisation of Masefield's 'The Box of Delights', both in its original radio Children's Hour version and in its much later TV version; Adam's delightful 'Cantique de Noel' and Bach's reflective 'Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring'; and a well-chosen selection of choral and orchestral carols.
Just two criticisms - the Bacchanale from Glazunov's 'The Seasons' (well-known as the theme-music for the London Marathon), whilst being wonderfully exhilarating and sounding as if it should belong to Winter (as stated), was in fact written for Autumn; and how can you have a 'Classic Christmas' with no Handel?
on 16 January 2009
This is the very best Christmas Album possible. All the pieces are well played and sung and the selection of items is just perfet. I play this every year when I decorate my tree and it has become part of the very fabric of my Christmas. Once this album is out then Christmas has begun. I was so pleased when it was recently re-released as I could finally buy copies for all my friends. Very highly recommended - if you only have one Christmas album then make sure it's this one!!!
on 27 December 2004
Ive had this cd for sometime. I must have bought in its first incarnation. This was also a surprise buy because I was looking hard for a good xmas cd at the time. I saw it. Heard it in the cd booth, & bought it!! Its one of the best xmas cds around. Go buy you will not be disappointed!!
on 7 October 2008
This CD is a delight capturing the sparkle and fun of Xmas. It is light classical music at its very best. I play Troika and I know the festive season has begun.
11 Comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2001
I have tried to buy this again for two years and I am thrilled it has been re-released. The CD is filled with many classical tunes that featured as THE Christmas TV tunes in my childhood and teens e.g. the Timex advert. Great tunes combined with good artists and best of all, not what you hear playing in all the supermarkets! A truely "Classey" classic that I would recommend to anyone who likes good music.
on 12 November 2009
Troika, Sleigh Ride and In Dulci Jubilo are just 3 of 20 tracks on this super Christmas compilation. It always makes me feel Christmassy and we've owned it for years - originally had it on tape!