• 30

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 October 2002
This is Connick's piano playing (with some singing) five years on from "25" - somewhat more mature, yet still as unmistakable. He is a truly wonderful pianist, and knowing that each track was recorded in a single take makes this CD all the more compelling;
High points are "Way Down Yonder In New Orleans", in which Harry lets loose a fabulous New Orleans stride stomp with Monk tinges; "Junco Partner" - a tribute to his early mentor James Booker, in which Harry keeps up a tremendous Booker-style rolling left hand pattern beneath the lyric; "Chattanooga Choo Choo" is fast technical showpiece stuff, and the big handfuls of notes in "Speak Softly Love" (from The Godfather), make for a mesmerising track;
on 11 November 2007
This album is the third in the concept "age" albums. Recorded around the time of the masterful "Come by me" it is Connick at his most relaxed. One man, a piano and a guest or two. You get the feeling this is not connick the showman and actor but something alot more personal. The new orleans pianist reminds me not of Sinatra, or Torme on this cd but more akin to Hoagy Carmichael.

Some other reviewers call this album self indulgent but isn't that what Jazz is. An indulgence in the idea of your own vision. So when connick decided to play Chatanooga Choo Choo like his fingers where on the payroll of Virgin Trains. I felt this was a performance inspired by wit and not hubris.

The highlights of the album for me include: Junco Partner, a sombre, decaying rendition with a beautiful opening and a nod to the late mentor of Connick James booker; Don't fence me in, the Bing and Andrew Sister track laid bare; ...One more time, this time Connick puts the pedal down a little on the vocal with Reverend James Moore.

It is helpful if you listen to this album in the context of previous albums "20" and "25". I highly recommend this album to people who come to it without any preconcieved ideas.
on 3 December 2003
This is basically one man and his piano; you get the feeling that the odd guest spot, even if it is someone of the clout of Wynton Marsarlis, was a ploy to help sell the product.
If you like hearing some of our best-loved popular songs given a self indulgent thrash on the ivories then you will love this album. Even "Tie A Yellow Ribbon..." doesn't deserve such treatment.
You could say I was deeply disappointed with this album.
on 6 March 2002
I consider myself to be a Connick Jnr fan. I love his Songs I heard and Forever my love albums so i was excited to get this into the cd player to hear just piano and the occasional vocals. I was expecting to hear the trademark big band sound. At times, it sounds that he is going to stop and go to sleep. I am still a fan but won't be playing this much!
on 9 March 2002
My first Harry Connick purchase and i'm totally knocked out.Superb arrangements, a truly great big band sound and old favorites given new life by Harry's vocals. Sound quality is fantastic, a great disc to give your hi-fi a real workout.
on 27 March 2004
I love Harry Connick Junior and the 1 star is for his voice. You just get the feeling with this album that he was running short of cash and just sat down in the studio one day and churned it out. It is dull and self indulgent. I sent my back I was so disappointed.