Canon EF 70-200 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Non Image Stabilised)
Style: EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM|Change

on 16 August 2011
I had a Canon 70-300mm "kit" lens when I bought the camera, but just could not get on with it, even though I tried hard to for some time. 2 problems,(1) if carrying it the lens has to be locked to the 70mm position or else it gradually extends much longer than this one, (easily forgotten),and even if you remember to do this you have to remember to unlock it for use! & (2), during zooming OR focusing the barrel rotates, making the use of polarising filters (or I presume graduated ND filters)at best irritating, and realistically not practical. So after much deliberation I eventually got this lens, and Oh Wow!
A few test shots just of flowers in the garden showed what it's capable of, the shots could be blown up to poster size and be more than perfectly acceptable, veins on the flowers individually standing out with a few dew drops showing I did'nt even know were there! This is on a "crop sensor body" NOT a 5D or equivalent! The colour saturation is also fantastic, and it puts another "L" lens, the 24 - 105mm, slightly in it's shadow.. I don't think I have ever had a lens that so impressed me at the first try.
For some reason the "bokeh" with this lens is slightly better than that of the 24 - 105 at the same settings, and it seems to have even better contrast, not very much, but a little.
I will take as read those reviews that say how good the IS is, yes you can hear it operate, (quietly), and I didn't try to test it at low light levels, but indoor shots were fine at 1/60th about 80% of the time, (although Canon only suggest you go down to 1/200th, I think that's a bit cautious of them). Would I miss the extra 100mm of the kit lens? Well no, and on a "crop sensor" model like mine, a 200mm lens equates to a 320mm one, and I think this is far enough to push "hand held" shots, and although wildlife users might prefer the extra length, try looking at the cost of a top prime Canon lens at these lengths, (ouch), especially as the 70 - 300 falls off in performance above 200mm. In short, although I was VERY reluctant to spend the money, I think this is the best piece of photographic equipment I have ever owned! If you only ever buy one "L" lens, GET THIS ONE!
The only drawback is the weight, it's a fair bit heavier than a "kit" lens, and you will certainly feel this the longer you carry it, but in the end it's worth it!
8 people found this helpful
on 22 July 2013
Brought this for my husband as he was starting up his own freelance photography business after being made redundant. He has over 30yrs photographic experience, studying it at college and even teaching the City and Guilds course at the local HE college.
He has been doing quite a lot of equestrian photography and needed a good quality lens to capture the action. I couldn't afford the 70-300, so opted for the 70-200 instead. What a fabulous lens it is. He uses it on his Canon 7D and I have also put it on our 5D. The picture quality is superb, crystal clear and the colours are true. The quality is so good that even if the subject is a little too distant, he can zoom in and enlarge the subject with no detriment to the quality of the image. The lens is not over heavy and even though it is F4, it copes quite well in lower light conditions, eg. in an indoor arena. It has also been used in Iceland for landscape photos and it has given use some stunning images for us to remember a fantastic holiday. I have no problem in recommending this lens.
on 20 December 2011
I bought this lens back in 2009 as I previously had the Non-IS lens and loved that, but thought the IS would make it more usable in low light. As you would expect being a Canon L lens the build quality is second to none and the perfomance won't let you down either.

I've also owned a 70-200 F2.8L lens but found I rarely used it, due to the size and weight of it. The F4 lens is a much better size and a lot lighter meaning it is perfect for travelling. After owning the lens for 2 years I'd never consider selling it and have had no issuses with it whatsoever.

A quick search of reviews around the web will tell you just how sharp this lens is at all focal lengths. A lot of people claim this is the sharpest lens Canon has produced and I wouldn't argue. The IS is also very effective and definitely provides the claimed 3 stops of stabilisation.

In conclusion I'd highly recommend this Lens to anyone looking for a telephoto and wanting something a better than the usual lenses available.
6 people found this helpful
on 11 August 2016
Great lens producing significantly better results than the Sigma equivalent it replaced.
5 people found this helpful
on 8 March 2013
I took a long time to make up my mind to purchase this lens reading reviews left right and centre before taking the plunge,was I happy with my decision to buy?, indeed I was.
OK it is a heavy beast but so is the 5d mark 11 camera to which it is attached. I shall be using this lens for landscape and sports photography and weddings. I have ran a few shots since taking delivery and I am very impressed with the results, the bokeh is great and the weather sealing a bonus focusing is fast and quiet,even at my age (80s) I can handle its weight well though I did buy a better camera strap to help take the weight. If you want a top class lens buy this one you wont regret it.
8 people found this helpful
on 10 June 2017
Awesome Quality Lens, this is my second one sold the first just to get a newer made one,
it's just such a beautiful lens to use Focus ring is so smooth unlike any lens i have used,
Image quality naturally as you would expect sharp and clean,at this price £798 after canon cashback promotion
Buy It Now ! , and yes registered with Canon no problem
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 20 April 2011
I bought this lens last year and have used it extensively since. I considered the cheaper alternative, but I'm so glad I paid the extra for this level of quality. The lens is simply astounding in terms of image quality and I have taken perfectly sharp images at 200mm at 1/20 thanks to the amazing image stabilisation.

The down side is the shear size of the thing! That, coupled with the fact that it's finished in Canon grey plus the huge lens hood that's supplied with it really makes you stand out in a crowd. Not something that every photographer necessarily wants. But hey, admiring, envious glances from other photographers isn't always bad.

I can highly recommend this lens to anyone wavering in their decision. You will not regret buying it for a moment.
7 people found this helpful
on 18 November 2012
After a year of using kit lenses I decided it was time to invest in better quality glass...and this lens fitted the bill perfectly. Super sharp, ultra quiet and very handsome, the 70-200 has proven to be excellent value for money. Comes with a Canon bag and lens hood (as well as the front and rear lens caps). Not many negatives, but is a little heavier than say the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III kit lens I was using (get a mount ring - makes a big difference). Bokeh is also very impressive.

Remember that the f4 is really an outdoor/daylight lens, so if you want to shoot indoors, expect to pay another £450-500 for the f2.8 (although the f4 manages fine with flash). Image stabilisation on the f4 will also set you back another £500 or so, but that kind of quality is for the advanced photographer, not the weekend snapper like me.

Overall, top marks for this lens.
on 22 December 2014
Fabulous lens. Just a warning though, DO NOT skimp on the filter you put on it. I had crazy ghosting issues with I think it was a Hoya-Pro. I went for a B&W protective filter in the end (just glass) to protect the front element, no problems since then.
5 people found this helpful
on 11 January 2014
Now where do I start on this, I brought this lens because I do a lot of paintball events and I wanted the best image quality I could get and I wasn't let down when I brought this. The images this lens produces are incredibly sharp and no color fringing and it focuses blisteringly quick!
The lens comes with a nice protective cover and a lens hood, both of which feel very nice and premium. The lens its self very sturdy and feels very well built, the switches are nice and the focus ring is smooth. This is a fabulous lens and I don't regret not having the image stabilization and if you shoot have a shutter speed set to at least 150/1 then even fully zoomed in it will be nice and sharp from handheld. I took this lens into central London to test out. Walking around and taking pictures of people, cars ect and all in focus and very sharp and I only use a 600D so it works with budget DSLRs. 5 stars!