Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Worried Blues Fitbit

Customer reviews

Size: 58 mm|Change

on 25 October 2010
I'd owned a Nikon 55-200 VR lens for a while, and occasionally pointed it at the odd bug. I didn't spend my life crawling through the long grass, so couldn't justify buying a genuine macro, and I didn't fancy lugging one around either. But I did want to get a bit closer. You might feel the same way.

I tried a number of single lens close-up filters, but the images had terrible colour fringing and distortion. Then I tried this 2 element filter, and the results are pretty good, though obviously inferior to anything you'd get with a real macro. The images are free of colour fringing and distortion, and reasonably sharp, though the very narrow depth of field makes it tricky to get a good image. It's very portable, is quick to fit, and even comes with its own dinky plastic case. It's always in my bag.

It is rather pricey, but strikes a good compromise between convenience and quality.
on 4 August 2013
This works well on the FZ200. A quality product that is giving me good macro results at a very reasonable price.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 February 2010
While out taking photographs, having been caught without my macro lens (along with other lenses it makes the camera bag rather heavy), I decided to but this to carry in my camera bag for the rare occasions when out shooting that I would need a close-up lens.

I did not have great expectations for such a lens, but in fact I am quite impressed. I took a few test shots to compare it with the macro lens. The lens with which I compared it is the Canon Macro EF 100mm 1:2.8 USM; the lens to which I attached the close-up lens being the standard Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II that comes with the Canon 400D.

The biggest noticeable difference was the depth of field. The close-up lens has a very shallow depth of field compared to the Macro lens. As for sharpness, within the area of sharp focus at the centre there was not a great deal of difference; however there was a difference at the edges and in the corners, the close-up lens unable to match the quality of the macro, this was most obvious at wide aperture settings, less noticeable at f16 but still apparent.

Of course the other big difference compared to the macro was the lens-to-object distance, for a comparable shot where the object was around 12 inches (30cm) from the end of the macro lens, the close-up lens needed to be about 3 inches (7.5cm) away. That presents potential problems, such as lighting, access, and if the subject is alive such as an insect the obvious problem that getting so close one is likely to scare it off.

If one is serious about taking macro shots, this is perhaps not the best solution. But for occasional use, and considering the difference in cost (around £400 or more for the EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM), its convenience and ease of carrying compared to the macro lens this little add-on lens has a lot going for it.
99 Comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2011
I bought this from Amazon and mounted on 18-55 EF-S lens to use with Canon 500D DSLR. Close up pictures are pretty stunning and I am really impressed. It added real value to the camera and also to my pleasure of doing photography as a hobby.
Well worth it.
review image review image review image review image
on 3 May 2009
This is a screw-on supplementary lens that can enable your telephoto lens to take macro shots when mounted as a filter. It has most effect on long focal-length lenses. I have had one for several years and have used it with good effect on a 75-300mm zoom lens and on a Powershot Pro1 28-200 mm camera.
The optical quality of the 500D is excellent due to its doublet construction. Its working distance is up to around 50cm, so it can be used for butterflies if they are busy feeding. The highest magnifications available on a full-frame camera are 0.9x (nearly life-size) on a 300mm lens and 0.5x on a 200mm lens. The lens has to be removed to resume photography at normal distances.
on 25 February 2013
I have been used to a point and shoot camera until recently that would focus down to I cm and did a brilliant job too. Now however I have bought a Fuji X-E1 with the 18-55 lens which give me wonderful results
I have been looking at the Fuji macro lens but decided, at present, against buying it. I have heard good opinions on the Cannon 250D and the Cannon 500D so went for both of them instead. They give excellent results and I am very pleased. However even if I use both together the closest my lens will achieve is 9cm focusing from the subject. But does give excellent results.
on 19 April 2014
A higher price than standard close-up lens but eliminates distortion due to dual glass layers. Essential for enthusiastic close-up photographers
on 9 July 2012
I have always loved macro photography. Since I purchased my first digital 'point and shoot' camera, I have enjoyed exploring the minute detail, often overlooked, that is present in everyday life. So when I eventually upgraded to an SLR, this was one feature that I was keen to explore.

I initially had 2 lenses for my Nikon D90; the versatile Nikon 18-200mm VRII for most situations and the excellent Nikon 35mm f1.8 for portraiture and low-light photography. While both are excellent lenses in their own right, neither are suitable for the extreme macro close-ups that I was hoping for.

I was therefore excited to read the glowing reviews from 2 professional photographers about this 'Close-Up Lens' from Canon, which, at 72mm, would fit on the front of the 18-200mm VRII. There were also several favorable reviews online from people who had used this combination. The general consensus was that, while this is by no means a dedicated macro, it was an alternative at a fraction of the cost that would achieve 'macro' results, while not taking up much room in a camera bag. After a prolonged and frustrating search, (this lens was not easy to find at the time!), I was delighted to eventually acquire one.

Unfortunately, my delight was short-lived. After trying out the lens for some time, I realised that while it does get you closer than the native lens, this was only by a modest amount. For example, if shooting the face of a 50mm diameter watch, with the 18-200mm lens alone, the watch face would fill approximately 75% of the frame. With the close-up attachment, the watch face would fit 100% of the frame, but one certainly could not zoom in any closer, for example, to make a number on the watch face fill the frame.

Disappointed, I re-sold the lens in favour of a true macro. Even the modest cost of the close-up lens couldn't really be justified as similar results could be achieved simply by cropping in post-production.

I knew a macro, while probably the most exciting type of lens for me, would still be very much a 'third' lens for occasional use only. I could not therefore justify the substantial cost of a Nikon macro (or 'Micro'!). However, after much research, I opted for the £260 Tamron 272 SP AF 90mm F/2.8. Although this lens is slightly trickier to use than the equivalent Nikon, it really does achieve the amazing results I was looking for. Photos of insects, for example, are shockingly good, revealing detailed structures in a way that is commonly seen in professional macro photography. Photos of flowers are particularly satisfying as a quarter of even a small flower head will easily fill the frame. The lens is tack-sharp. Haven't looked back since (mainly because I am usually looking through this lens to see other details that are invisible to the human eye!).
on 2 November 2012
I purchased this to go with my Nikon lens as I read reviews that put this as one of the better ones. I have tried it out a few times and even though its not as good as a true macro lens its great for putting in your pocket when traveling light and the close- up quality is very good.
on 12 July 2011
Video cameras are not known for their shallow depth of field (DoF). To achieve this usually requires an expensive 35 mm adaptor in order to create that elusive "filmic" look. Such systems are heavy, require rods for support and reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor(s), not to mention the time taken to set up the adaptor. My search for a cheaper and more effective alternative ended today when I received this superb Canon close-up lens that attaches to the integrated "L" series lens on my Canon XHA1 HD video camera. It produces a shallow but very usable DoF, the extent of which is determined by both the aperture setting and the level of zoom. As an added bonus, I could find no evidence of vignetting in the quick series of tests that I carried out before the light faded.