Customer reviews

What Sound
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 December 2014
Lamb are so unique and beautiful that I don't think they can be matched. For me everything they touch turns to gold and their sound is stamped in music history as being an expression of the greatest underground British music. Very rarely do two people come along who have such other worldly sounds with true meaning. Her voice and his production is simply outstanding and whether they throw down a moving chilled number or a slightly more erratic breakbeat up tempo tune they all have the unmistakable quality of Lamb. It's what you come to expect from them. This is one of my favourite albums but honestly I love all of their work. You can be the judge!
on 29 September 2003
Following a tour in Portugal, LAMB decided to call it a day. Citing the very definite personal differences between them, Andy and Lou chose to split up - and promptly got back together again to produce "What Sound", described by Lou as a 'heart album' as opposed to the 'head album' that is it's predecessor, "Fear of Fours". Now with a permanent band behind them (Oddur, Jon and Nikolaj), LAMB have produced an almost painfully poignant, emotions-driven and organic album, with the trademark vast, often unpredictable range of vocal and instrumental styles. Lou's Zen spitituality can be seen most powerfully in 'Small', while Andy dons his Hipoptimist cap for the instrumental 'Scratch Bass'. With the third album typically very difficult for most artists, "What Sound" breaks the mould: it is not merely a successor in Lamb's previous works; it continues their quest to constantly modify themselves and explore new musical possibilities.
on 13 October 2001
A very good album, almost like a mix of portishead, massive attack and morcheeba, but with a very melancholic feel and a smooth but solid bass. There are two tracks that really hit the spot for me. "I cry" is an incredible, truly incredible, song of what I guess you coud call the "human condition" - Love, Longing, Pain and the Optimism of Redemption all thrown into a songs lyrics :
"
Some people turn to pills and things
to help them through the day
to take them up or down or just
to ease the blues away
By me I really want to feel
The ups and downs of life so real ..."
The other track that kicks, in the extreme sense is "Gabriel". I've not heard anything of this calibre in years. It reminds me of a quote from the Will Gibson book "Count Zero":
"Are you sad ?"
"No"
"But your ... Your songs are sad ..."
"My songs are of time and distance. The sadness is in you. Watch my arms. There is only the dance ..."
Gabriel just has that feel. It's not sad, but listening to it imbues a sense of longing that's almost sadness. I'm not sure I can explain it. Go listen to it.
on 22 August 2003
The first disc containing the album "What Sound" itself more than justifies two-thirds of the asking price for this 2-disc set. The eponymous first track starts the album off on a chillingly beautiful note with Lou's distinctive voice showcased with a backing of delicate strings complimented by an infectious rhythm section which remains fairly restrained compared to Lamb's previous standards. In fact the music of this album remains relatively restrained throughout (with the exception of the instrumental Scratch Bass) but is always effective, seeming as if the relationship between Andy's musicianship and Louise's voice has started to reach a natural and perfect balance. On this album Lamb's sound is at its best at its most stripped down, most obviously so on the stunning single "Gabriel" and to a lesser extent on the closer "Just Is". Perhaps still not living up to the best moments of their debut nor as consistent this is an improvement on the rather patchy and sometimes overly-emoted "Fear of Fours". It is also worth pointing out that the first disc of this version is missing the track "Written" from the non-import enhanced version.
However, if you're looking at this item chances are you're planning on buying the album itself anyway (or perhaps already own it) and the question is whether the second disc makes this a worthwhile purchase compared to the cheaper normal version. The remixes present here are of varying quality, my personal highlights being the Kruder and Dorfmeister session mix of "Trans Fatty Acid" which somehow maintains the brooding atmosphere of the original while giving it an almost lounge-jazzesque make-over and a somewhat fun-yet-sinister reworking of "B.Line". The "God Bless" remix, however, seems a bit like knob twiddling for the sake of knob twiddling and chances are you already own the Filia Brazilia mix of "Cottonwool" as the bonus track from the first Lamb album. The live tracks are good quality and evident of their wonderful shows, with both "Gorecki" and "Bonfire" beautifully performed. The inclusion of "Sweet" and "Sweetheart" in favour of any one of the stronger tracks from either "What Sound" or their previous albums is a bit of a shame though. In addition, any person who has attended a Lamb live show will realise that the whole experience simply can't be caught on CD, despite the good sound quality captured on this disc. In short, a bit of a mixed bag as far as the second disc is concerned. I'm very happy having dished out a bit extra for this import version to own the extra tracks but whether you want to shell-out £20 for it or not is entirely up to you.
on 25 October 2001
If the price we pay for quality and originality
is sparcity of releases then we have to accept it from Lamb and anybody else. Of their three albums this is the easiest to get into and is definitely the most 'up'. I doubt that it will have the durability of their debut but nearly everything on 'What Sound' has merit, including three
especially beautiful tracks 'Heaven', 'Gabriel' and the title song. I can't say I particularly like the child oriented 'Small', but Andy Barlow
really gets off on 'Scratch Bass'. I think Lamb now have an output comparable to Massive Attack with only a small proportion of their recognition.
Go out and discover Lamb if you haven't already !
on 9 April 2003
Brilliant album; from the intro to "what sound" it absolutely hits the spot as a brilliant melancholic D&B (sort of like Portishead, but more D&B and less melancholic) album. But then you hear tracks like "I Cry" (I almost cried when I heard Lamb play this live - the raw emotion was just SO THERE, but the album version is pretty good too - especially when the bass kicks in), that really break the mould of D&B and hit you with lyrics that really sting. Then, for a break, there's stuff like the incredible "Sweetheart" - a class bit of old school D&B if ever there was one.
Finally, there's "Gabriel". Unbelievable. "I can fly, but I want his wings. I can shine, even in the darkness, but I crave the light that he brings. Revel in the songs that he sings. My Angel Gabriel". Just - pure emotional territory, and effing well done too. The chorus hits with an incredible wave of feeling.
Basically, this album shows what Lamb are really capable of (their other albums have been "good - but no cigar"). Portishead and Massive Attack were cool in their day, but now they've met their match.
on 17 December 2001
When I first heard Lamb on their eponimous debut, I was blown away. The second album was good, but nowhere near as good as the 1st. And this 3rd one is more of the same. I guess it depends what you are looking for. Personally I am looking for a more dance-oriented style coupled with emotion and depth. However, I feel that Lamb have moved into a more thoughtful, poetic, lyrical approach and with 'What Sound' they have given us a varied and interesting listen. I can appreciate this and when listening I am pleasantly entertained. But not blown away.
on 13 October 2001
This is a beautiful album. From start to finish every track is thoughful and moving. Although the sound is slightly diferent, the emotions stirred by the music reminds me of the first time I heard the Cocteau Twins or This Mortal Coil.
I have the other two Lamb albums, which are good, but this takes them to another pardigm IMHO.
on 12 January 2012
I first heard of Lamb, in my beloved TV show Six Feet Under. "Heaven" was used in season 2 promo and premiere. I loved the song even more to get the entire album. I'm absolutely in love with it, there's not a mediocre or okay song in it. Of course, like all the albums ever existed, there are ones that shines more than others. In my opinion the highlights are: Everyone's favorite song "Gabriel", "Heaven", "I Cry" and "What Sound". Next, I'm going to listen their debut, my point to this excellent album is 9/10.
on 8 October 2001
Having now relocated from Bristol to London, Lamb have found a fresh sound that makes this (their third album) the best to date. In the past the band have sometimes been guilty of trying a little too hard, but from the opening title track onwards it is evident that they have developed a new maturity and ease of flow. Louise Rhodes' voice is as strong as ever, but is no longer the sole framework for the songs - caressing rather than constructing the tunes.Unlike comparable groups, Moloko and Morcheeba, Lamb do not aim self-consciously for daytime radio airplay. There is, perhaps, a general attempt on this album to rectify the band's lack of commercial success so far, but the songs are accessible rather than glossy. Instead, as the single 'Gabriel' and 'This Could Be Heavan' testify there is a delicacy here which is rare indeed. There will few better albums released this year.