Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 September 2005
Luther Vandross was born to sing! By the time his debut album hit the streets, Mr Vandross was already one of the most sought-after singers in the business. "Never Too Much" is an entertaining soulful album that showcased real music before synthesizers and drum machines were the norm.
Luther also established himself as an accomplished songwriter, producer and arranger. To prove this point, some two years after releasing his debut, Luther was collaborating with his musical idols: Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick and Diana Ross - not bad at all!
The album kicks off with the title track which is a bright and breezy up-tempo number. It has the kind of catchy chorus that you find yourself singing along to. Musically, it was produced in a way that you can hear each instrument. Marcus Miller's bass provided the funky backdrop that would future prominently on future Vandross albums.
Other tracks worth noting are:
"Sugar And Spice" - a solid old school groove and my favourite up-tempo track. It's a real feel-good track.
"Don't You Know That" is a delightful mid-tempo number.
The middle track flow quite nicely and we then come to the final track:
"A House Is Not A Home" is a ballad par excellence, and it demonstrated Luther's considerable nuanced vocal talents. It was Luther's desire to sing about the more sensitive part of love and relationships that gave his music its special identity - no one else sounded like him and I doubt that no one ever will.
It's sad to think that Luther is no longer with us. I'm glad that I followed his solo career right from the beginning and his solo debut would make a welcome addition to your collection
on 9 August 2010
Well, I'm a big Luther fan so the fact that this CD had only two tracks on that I haven't alreadt got didn't alter the fact that I consider it well worth it. A great listen all the same.
on 3 March 2010
brilliant album from first track to last from one of the finest soul singers of all time and some of marcus millers best bass lines whenever i change my speakers this is one of the cds i always take to the demo sublime
on 21 June 2016