Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 January 2003
I am a John Barry fan, but I'm a little disappointed in this album. Having bought "The Beyondness of Things" before "Eternal Echoes", I have found the latter to lack much of the freshness of the first and the kind of hooks that keep a tune in your head long after you have heard it.
I can honestly say that I can't remember any of the tracks on this album, whereas I have no such problem with any of John Barry's other works. I would therefore rate "Eternal Echoes" as great background music, due to its uninvolving nature. This is poles apart from "The Beyondness of Things", which is superbly emotive music, without being brash or overpowering. I would therefore not recommend this album as a first foray into the works of John Barry - try one of his film scores, or "The Beyondness of Things" instead.
on 5 November 2001
As one of Britain's foremost composers of film music, Barry has produced a formidable body of work. Eternal Echoes, at times, could be mistaken for the soundtrack to many a movie matinee, but frequently here Barry creates heights of emotion rarely heard on "modern classical" works such as this. Barry's previous album (The Beyondness Of Things) sets the tone well for this CD. Perhaps fewer tracks on Eternal Echoes meet the consistently high standard of Beyondness..., but for anyone who enjoyed that, this new release remains an indispensible purchase.
on 25 October 2001
This is sure to be another popular release from John Barry. Very much in the style of his earlier personal work, "The Boyondness of Things", this work takes its inspiration from the book of the same title by John O'Donahue.
For those familiar with the canon of Barry's work, this may not pack too many surprises; once again the pace is fairly laid back, and once again the arrangements are what we have come to expect - warm brass chords overlaid with strings and woodwind. But four of the tracks do stand out immediately. These are: "Eternal Echoes", a beautifully balanced and mournful piece that is reminiscent of Barry's recent score for the film "Enigma"; "Crazy Dog", with its simple appealing melody on layers of strings; "Slow Day" an evocative tune rendered on harmonica; and "Fred & Cyd", where Barry lets loose his famous muted brass magic once more, reminiscent of those old scores of the sixties.
The fact remains though, that only a handful of names write such effortlessly beautiful melodies as John Barry, and "Eternal Echoes" delivers exactly what the box design implies- reflective music that will linger long after you have turned off the CD player.
If you are avid about collecting John Barry's music, this will grow on you with repeated listenings. If you have never heard of the man, I should imagine it won't be long before you are buying "The Beyondness of Things" and the score from "Enigma" as well.
on 26 December 2013
What can I say to describe this album? It is full of beautiful melodies written by the master himself. Some reviewers have said that it is not as good as his previous effort `The Beyondness Of Things`, that's open to opinion, but nevertheless it stands head and shoulders above all of its contemporaries.
My fave tracks would have to be `Get Over It` and `First Steps`. John Barry`s melodies are unlike any composers that I have ever heard before. His tunes reach into your soul and make your spirit soar. They are packed full of emotion and are simply marvellous to just sit down, relax and let wash over you. I have to admit that since purchasing it, I have been listening to it constantly and cannot speak highly enough of it.
The one thing that makes me sad though is the fact that we won`t be hearing any more gems with Barry`s sad demise.
The upside to that is that we are fortunate enough to have been left a legacy of music that will be adored forever.His music simply will never die and John Barry will never be forgotten..
A couple of years after adding to my collection John Barry's first CD of light orchestral music that he had composed, I was delighted to see that he had recorded another. The harmonies are often unmistakably like those we got to know so well in the James Bond movies and in his many other film scores. Some reviewers find the music drab and uninspiring: personally I find it tranquil and perfectly reflecting the mood that is implied in the CD title and in the illustration on the CD cover. The 11 tracks are played by the English Chamber Orchestra conducted by the composer.

John Barry: The Beyondness of Things
on 16 September 2013
There is not much to say here but those who like 'The Beyondness of Things' will certainly like this. Eternal Echoes is a mature version of the original and wonderful Beyondness collection. The final track on the album, Elegy, is frequently on repeat as I am still amazed by the single piece, this alone is quite special.
on 2 November 2009
AS a reviewer who has NOT listened to 'The beyondness of things' I think that I may be able to give this a more impartial review !

I have been a Barry fan since the Bond films in the 1960s along with his other film music including 'The Quiller Memorandum' and 'Born Free' to name just 2 so I have been a fan for many years.

I find that this album is very relaxing but for A Customer on 1 jan 2003 to state quote 'I can honestly say that I can't remember any of the tracks on this album' defies belief, it MUST be a hearing problem because for my money RETURNING HOME is the most beautiful track that I have heard in years and if this person cannot remember that track they have to be totally DEAF !!!
I personnaly love this album and I will be buying 'The beyondness of things' in the future but that will not change my opinion about this beautiful collection of calm 'Eternal Echos' which I'd give a rating of 9/10.
P.S.
I now have the popular 'Beyondness of things' and to be honest I an disappointed !
With so many people hiping it up I was expecting better so I am pleased that I bought 'Eternal Echoes' first because I might not have bought it at all if I'd heard 'Beyondness of Things' first.
For me the only memorable track on 'Beyondness of things' is the title track !!!
I find 'Eternal Echoes' far more varied and with tracks like Crazy Dog Fred and Cyd, Winning and Lullabying to back up the star of the album 'Returning Home' this as far as I am concerned is THE John Barry to buy.
on 16 October 2015
I find this album just as enjoyable as The Beyondness of things.
The music is very relaxing and I like to listen to it on my own as I contemplate and reflect life in general as, it makes you sad and happy at the same time as I think of my childhood and those influences from people past and present.
on 19 September 2012
I've always liked john barry's music from his film scores so i thought i would treat my self to a couple of his cd's this is the second from him, i also bought beyondness of things.this one is nearly as good as the first but beyondnees just shades it. Echoes is just right for relaxing to after a stressfull day at the office, so give it a go
on 23 January 2007
For me this is just a brilliant album from start to finish. A journey into reflection and a must have. At a time where modern music is nothing more a repeat of the last hit song this album sets an emotional scene where you can escape into your own thoughts and leave reality for a while.

Top marks.