Customer reviews

on 25 April 2005
The greatest game series ever. The original in its day was nothing short of a miracle, the graphics are poor now, but you have to admire its incredible playability and ability to put suspense at every turn. It's sequels are genius, play them right through, it's an inspiring series, every pc gamer should own a piece of history. Thief the the dark project is superb and if you have to buy jsut one game, buy thief: deadly shadows for pc and play at night. Prepare to be amazed, forget doom3, forget half life2, forget metal gear solid, they are just jokers. Nothing compares to this game, it's so damn good, I want it either buried with me or frozen in ice for the future. When they thaw me out, I'm going to play the whole series again.
on 6 October 2001
Thief- The Dark Project is a game of stealth and strategy. You have to complete objectives in order to win the level. Objectives include getting a certain amount of loot, or to steal a certain object. This game is differnet from other games. You have weapons but you aren't a tank so you can't go aroung killing people (especially if you aren't allowed since one of your objectives may be "Don't kill anyone") so you have to sneak around. The game has some excellent levels but there are some levels that are so big its nearly impossible to find your way around. The game has some great bad guys and the sound isn't bad. The thing that lets this game down are the graphics which are occaisonally dodgy. But all in all, this i a top game.
on 28 January 2003
.... i was not dissapointed! it is a historical stealth game in which you play a master stealth artist who has used his abilities to become a thief. It is highly addictive and somethimes you will be clutching the keyboard and mouse with sweaty hands, just trying to tell yourself that it is only a game!
Owning an xbox i am used to the graphics of such games as halo and splinter cell, this games appearance does not compare to them but they do the job. all other aspects are fantastic with vocal speech and sound effects, the gameplay is great and the cut scenes arent at all bad.
getting used to the controls sometimes takes a while, but if you stick with them it gets a lot easier. You can get a variety of weapons including a sword, club, "flash bombs", and you bow and arrow which can fire a numbers of different ammunition, ranging from your normal broard tipped arrow to water arrows and gas arrows. when you complete a mission you get money and can purchase more weapons in between the levels.
over all it is a good fun, original game that is a decent alternative to metal gear, and splinter cell. at this price i would higher recomend that you buy it
on 25 September 2013
I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys gaming, graphics aren't good but that doesn't really impare play or the ability to enjoy the story.
on 19 April 2010
I've been meaning to get round to playing this game for a long time now as I loved the whole idea of it. After sorting out the CPU problem I had with it (can only run on a single processor so had to disable my other), I loaded it up expecting to be amazed from all the reviews I had read about it and yes partly I was.

The partly being that yes it seemed to have a good story and the whole stealth idea was enjoyable too but what with the awkward jumping angles that had to be made at times as well as the punishing hits if you did happen to get found, the negative soon outweighed the positive and after trying to get into it all day, I found in the end I just had to switch it off as it wasn't working for me.

I'm a bit sad it didn't grab me the way I thought it would as I enjoy other games in the stealth genre but sadly something just wouldn't click.

On the positive side if you're up for a challenge and happy to stick with the points I mentioned then I would well recommend it. Like I said it has some great points but for me the negative far outweighed the positive.

For the people that want to give the game a try, here's a quick sum up of Thief:

Plot: You play Garrett who is a master thief. Although I can't say first hand about the whole game as I only completed a few missions but the game is based on a web of lies, double crossing and fanaticism.

Game play: There are 12 missions overall in the game. At the start of each mission, you are shown a map where you plan your way to accomplish your mission although, the map can be referred to again throughout the mission for guidance.

You then choose what tools you want to take with you on your mission e.g. sword, rope, gas bombs. Although you may think the most brutal tools are the way to go, I would have to advise you against this. Generally the best way to accomplish a mission is to get in and out with as little contact with anyone else as possible.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2003
I have to admit, Thief The Dark Project took away my social life :) When I was living with my girlfriend, I missed playing it at night.
"So, what of the game?" I hear you ask. Well, it's a very dark (in all senses of the word... you HAVE to play it with the lights off) amazing, mission-to-mission, on-edge, playable adventure (or maybe it's a simulation??) Thou plays a medival cutpurse, though the accents are quite a bit American, modern English, and Irish. The best part of the game you'll like is the end of the first mission, shooting your arrows into the guards below who are shouting insults at you though they can't see you! I'm one of the few people who preferred The Dark Project to its' sequel, though they are both much better then most of their PC contemparies.
Whatever you thought of my review, buy this game, you will not regret it!
on 22 October 2014