Customer reviews

White Lilies Island
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 September 2002
Natalie's follow up her her enormous debut album is extraordinary. It is one of my top 5 albums of this year.
The 3 singles (so far), That Day, Wrong Impression and Beauty on the Fire - stunning.
The rest of the album is made up of equally fabulous tracks;
Do You Love, Hurricane, Butterflies and Come September in particular.
Natalie likes to think she falls into the indie section of the market, but uh uh...sorry Nat, this album is much more pop influenced than that. The tracks have a guitar edge, with the ballads being more acoustic. The lyrics on the other hand are more haunting than your average pop track.
And I should mention that all her singles so far have come with 2 extra non-album tracks...and all have been of album quality. If you like the album, then its worth hunting out the singles.
Without a doubt, a fantastic album.
More accessible than the first.
on 5 November 2001
Natalie Imbruglia has done the near impossible. She has produced a second record that builds on all that was good about the first, and produces a brilliant follow up. A more guitar laden, more gutsy and at times more tender album that proves that she is a real force to be reckoned with.
If you liked the first one, you'll love this. Go on, do your self a favour.....
on 25 September 2001
"White Lilies Island" is like a dream coming true for all natalie fans. After the great success of "Left if the middle" in 98, I was expecting nat's second album. It took a long time to finally listen to her new songs, but all I can say is that this new CD is great!
The first single "that day" surely has the potencial of a big hit, like "torn". In this song, natalie doesn't sing, but actually speaks, expressing her human emotions, her feelings of loneliness, depression. It is great because it ends with a positive message, since it shows there's a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter what you go through.
"Wrong Impression" is one of my favorite songs. It is really cheerful and has a nice melody. The chorus is good and sticks to your mind like a gum. Whenever I'm driving, I remember it. "Didn't wanna leave you with a wrong impression. All I wanna do is try to make a connection"!
"Beauty on the fire" is natalie's typical song. I don't know if other fans will agree, but this song is more like "big mistake" or even "wishing I was there" from the first album. Great lyrics.
"Satelitte" is my favorite so far! It's so good! Natalie sings as a little naive girl. This rhythm is differen from everything she has recorded. Satelitte is the kind of song you will want to listen to when you're feeling exhausted after a busy day at work. It's simple, pure and written in a vert direct language. I love her vocals improvisations!
"Do you love" is cool, and some people are already saying she sounds like madonna in this track. I don't think so. It's a sad melody which makes you reflect about your own life and the things you believe that worth. Good chorus.
"Goodbye" is a ballad and reminds me of "smoke" from LOTM. Natalie's voice is very sweet in this track and I believe it was even modified in some parts of it.
"Hurricane", "butterflies" and "come september" are also good and will praise all kinds of listeners.
Finally, I'd make a few comments about "talk in tongues". If you are a true fan, you must love this song as much as I do. During the time natalie was not recording, this song was my hope she would come back with something new and different. I listened to the live version of this song and fell in love with it since the first time. I'm glad it was included in White Lilies Island and I hope nat releases it as a single.
As a fan, I could recommend this CD, only because natalie recorded it. But I really believe it is great, even if you did not like "Left if the middle". Natalie is a great singer and wrote almost all the songs of this album, which is a celebration of good music.
on 19 February 2004
The album is great and no problems with 5 stars. If you are planning on using this on a PC, beware as it incorporates its own player software that is diabolical (I'd swear, but its not polite....) As for anyone with an iMac? No stars for BMG and I for one would like all CD's labelled up if they are not RAW recordings. (And no, I'm not a pirate.)
on 22 March 2011
I don't like to criticise an artist whose records I otherwise own, but I can't in any honesty recommend this. I've no problem with Ms Imbruglia's voice or song writing, but I've tried to buy this album twice since it came out and each time it's gone back to the shop for a refund. Why's this you may ask? Well, put simply the CD this version of album comes on is not an audio compact disc (neither is the Sony version come to that....) - you won't find the CD audio symbol anywhere on the packaging, nor will you be able to play it in your car CD player or hi-fi (though it does play fine in a standard CD player). It isn't one of the infamous "XCP-Aurora" copy protected discs that got Sony into serious legal trouble back in 2005 (thank goodness!) but it does use a DRM method known as "Cactus Data Shield 200" that stops it from being played by any means other than via the built-in software player contained on the outer portion of the CD (in effect it's a data CD and therefore violates the Philips Red Book audio CD standard - not much use if you rip all your CDs to an iTunes server like I do!). Any attempt to extract the audio in a PC or Mac via iTunes or suchlike will fail unless the CD is 'modified' accordingly (I won't say exactly how this is done, but it's easy enough!). Sony was rightly hammered in the popular press for stunts like this and as I recall these discs should all have been recalled & scrapped by Sony (with a free standard replacement offered), but as I found to my cost there are still a few rogue copies out there.
It's a shame that my very first review has to be quite so negative (hopefully the forthcoming ones to follow won't be), but this is one subject guaranteed to wind me up. As it turned out, the album itself is fine (almost as good as its predecessor in fact), but the same can't be said for the media it came on. If you must buy it, make sure you have the standard 2003 version also sold here, or buy the MP3 album instead. You'll get a lot less grief that way!
on 15 January 2002
At first i wasn't optimistic about buying this album as i thought left of the middle would be so hard to follow especially after such a long time how wrong could i be! Kicking off with the magical That day then going on to Beauty on the fire which is one of my favourites. Thats the hard thing about this album i cant decide which are my favs! Standouts are the haunting ballad 'Goodbye' and the rocky 'sunlight' they are my real favs and the fantastic new track Wrong impression should see this album do much better buy it or miss out.
on 5 November 2001
Natalie continues to be a major force in contemporary alternative music. Her unique style of bubble gum pop blended with inciteful lyrics continue to stagger. Buy this now.
on 5 November 2011
I heard a few songs from Natalie on the radio which I liked but I never committed to buying an album of hers until now. Pity I had not done this ages ago as this is one of the most beautiful albums I've listened to. White Lilies Island impressed me on the first listen but blew me away on the second listen when I played the album on a different day. Truthfully I couldn't find one track that I didn't like, this is a great album and reflects the time Natalie put in to the writing of it. I read she spent three years preparing this album for release and the result is a very impressive album. Her voice is superb and varies in tone throughout the album which will keep you interested but the quality of the music played by her band is equally impressive. There is some great guitar work on this album along with other intruments too and I find it a mystery how this album didn't become a huge success, it should have been. Natalie co-wrote all the songs on the album which shows how talented she is. This album deserves a couple of listens to truly appreciate its quality, its a brilliant album and one I will have difficulty keeping out of my CD player.
on 23 January 2011
I first heard Natalie in a Virgin Megastore in LA and I picked up Left of the Middle (then still only available as an import in the US). I found it a pleasantly enjoyable alterna-rock-ish record. Four long years passed by, and I heard she had a new album coming out. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I bought it, and I was very pleasantly surprised by what I heard. This is a much better album than the first one. It's certainly not as overtly poppy as Left of the Middle. There is nothing approaching Torn on this one. It's not an instant attention grabber, but it's one that really grows on you with repeated listens. Wrong Impression, Beauty on the Fire, Everything Goes, and Come September are all definite highlights. There are really no bad tracks, although the opening of That Day is a bit jarring at first listen. Nine years later, I still listen to this album very often. Even her b-sides for the Beauty of the Fire and Wrong Impression singles are definitely worth tracking down. She hasn't come close to matching this record in all the years since--which is a definite shame. This one should have been a hit.
VINE VOICEon 25 June 2004
Born just outside Sydney, in 1975 and first became known as an actress - firstly in commercials and then in the Australian soap "Neighbours". After leaving the show, she moved to London before clinching a record deal and releasing her first single, "Torn". The song became a huge success, and is featured on her debut album "Left of the Middle".
"White Lilies Island" is Natalie's second album and was released in 2002. Not unlike her first, it has an indie / guitar feel to it. Three singles were released from it - "That Day", "Wrong Impression" and Beauty on the Fire" - and all twelve tracks see Natalie with a co-writing credit. While none of the singles as instantly memorable as "Torn", they are strong tracks and give a good indication of the overall 'sound' of the album.
Of the singles, I liked "Wrong Impression" the best - I'd consider it to be one of the best tracks on the album. However, there are several tracks at least its equal, and some that I think would've been better choices as the album's singles. "Sunlight" springs straight to mind - the singing style used by Natalie and the guitar playing comes together superbly. For me, it has the best 'hook' on the album. "Butterflies" comes very close to being my favourite song on the album, starting off acoustically before becoming a little more energetic. It's not an entirely up-tempo album though - three songs in the middle of the album are a little more laid back. I'd describe "Goodbye" as the album's slow and moody song. "Everything Goes", a very strong song, keeps the guitars plugged in - but also adds some strings and a strong acoustic element. "Hurricane", the last of the three, takes a similar approach, though it feels a bit more introspective.
An excellent album, and highly recommended. I really can't understand how she doesn't have a higher profile !