Customer reviews

By Jeeves [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 19 March 2013
I am a huge Wodehouse fan and, in my opinion, he would definitely have approved of this play, excellently scripted and directed by Alan Aykbourn. The DVD is a film of a live performance of the play given in America. It gets off to a very slow start as the little theatre fills up; and there is also a lot of 'scene setting'. However, once the plot kicks in, the action flows along, the humour is good and the device of a play in a play with some gentle poking fun at itself works really well. The characters are all pretty true to the book with the exception of Bingo Little, who seems to be muddled with Tuppy Glossop. The songs are not really my cup of tea - I am not a great musical fan but I think they are very much in the spirit of Wodehouse's lyrics and even I enjoyed the title song. So if you enjoy musicals, good clean British humour, PG Wodehouse, then I think you will enjoy this DVD.
4 people found this helpful
on 17 April 2012
I have to admit I was jealous of my wife. She had seen the original London West End production of "By Jeeves" when it ran in 1996 or 1997. She had bought the CD, and played the music a lot. A few weeks back we got talking about the songs again (after going through our library and discovering some long forgotten Wodehouse books). I decided I wanted to see the musical, but it had long stopped running. Youtube helped with some pieces of an American production. I decided to check Amazon, found the DVD and decided to risk it.
We watched the DVD last weekend and it was hilarious. According to my wife, it is close to the original London show. Me, I am still whistling some of the tunes while I walk around the streets and drive my car. This really puts one in a good mood. Hats off to the makers and congrats to Andrew Lloyd Webber on the music.
11 people found this helpful
on 2 March 2015
Probably one of the silliest plots I've ever seen and it does take some time to actually get moving, but I forgive them everything for the glorious 'It's a Pig' which I couldn't stop humming to myself for days.
One person found this helpful
on 19 May 2014
This is a very unusual kind of Lloyd-Webber musical, mixed with Alan Ayckbourn's playful comedy in a great American-British-Canadian production with the famous Goodspeed Musical Theatre and directed by Ayckbourn himself. Based upon Lloyd-Webber's less known work of youth, "Jeeves", this is a remake version with much new great, happy music and the imaginative atmosphere of a "local theatre group" – but with excellent well known actors and a truly skilled way of play-writing. Also interesting extra material behind the scenes. This doesn't resemble any other Lloyd-Webber musical. It gives a feeling of joy.
on 23 February 2015
I am a huge Wodehouse fan, but thought this was just a bit mediocre. Clever idea though, but the play in London (Perfect Nonsense) was so much better!
on 3 June 2015
This is definitely worth watching. I recommend this musical completely. The songs are a delight, and although not laugh-out-loud funny, the humour is certainly Wodehouse-esque, (if there wasn't such a word already, there should be). Alan Aykbourn wrote and directed the play within a village hall, within a play, and music was supplied by Andrew Lloyd-Webber. I loved every minute :-)
on 1 March 2013
Saw this in London in the 90's. It's the only Lloyd Webber that I actually Like, and why because it has a real book and Lyrics by Alan Ayckbourn. It's Funny, well acted (once you get used to the starnge American/English. And well worth a view. At the cost of about half the price of visit to the Cinema it's excellent value and entertainment.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 January 2015
Delighted - this was to replace my VHS copy now and was at a great price.
on 6 January 2016
Product arrived precisely as described.
on 6 October 2014
Very clever and very good musical version of the Jeeves and Bertie Wooster story. Sadly not available for TV region 1 but DVD played on my computer. As funny as I remember it was on the London stage.