Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 May 2017
I, like many others bought this album purely on the strength of 'How You Remind Me.' As soon as I listened to it a couple of times I found myself constantly humming (well, as best as I could to rock!) the songs all the times. This album as well as being quite rock orientated definately has a grungey feel to it aswell. I really enjoyed listening to it time and time again and has been on my CD player ever since I got it.
Although the quality of this album is really good (in my humble opinion, I find that it was a little bit too short and should have had a lot more material on it.
The lyrics are really good and hard hitting esp. those in 'Never Again' and 'Too Bad' and are wonderfully accompanied by great riffs, not to mention Chad Kroeger's great voice. This is the best album I have heard for ages and I'd advise it to anyone who likes rock and grunge music.
Finally, well done Nickleback for landing Platinum Side Up with silver side up
on 24 July 2017
This is the take off album for Nickelback!
This was a major hit on its release and is still great to this day, what I would say is it has gotten better with age!
This album includes a number of thier greatest songs and is well deserved to be the "go to" album for anyone wanting to listen to them.
As I say it's aged extremely well and is deserving of being in anyone's collection.
Although it's a rock album it reaches to a wide variety of listeners and is generally excellent for almost anyone, even if you don't normally listen to this genre.

Interestingly it's thier 2nd/3rd/4th album, depending on what CD's they produced you consider as albums prior to this one!
on 22 May 2017
Amazing album
on 3 April 2017
Top cd u gotta buy it if your a fan
on 31 May 2016
This is a replacement as I broke my last one, I do enjoy this album
on 10 June 2017
Still one of the best albums Nickelback have ever done. Bought this as a replacement as my original album is worn out.
on 15 January 2003
Finally, well done Nickleback for landing Platinum Side Up with silver side up
on 9 September 2001
Nickelback are a four-pice band from Vancouver, Canada. Last year they released the brilliant "The State" album which saw a small UK release and has gone on to pick up a decent following. With "Silver Side Up" they've definitely perfected their sound and have picked up a lot of comparisons to Staind; offering a similar melodic Hard rock sound with a deep grinding guitar style and lyrics which are both personal and painful. If you like Staind tracks like: "Fade", "Outside", and "Its Been Awhile" then be prepared to be blown away by Nickelback.
Stand out tracks on the new album have to be the vengeful "Just For", the angry "Look What Your Money Bought", the radio friendly first video "How You Remind Me" and the stadium sounding "Good Times Gone". But it doesn't stop there, there's not a poor track on the album. I'd have to say as a fan of both bands, that "Silver Side Up" is consistently better overall than Staind's "Break The Cycle".

My best Rock purchase of the year. And if you want to get into Nickelback then start with this album and if you like it then go to "The State" for more. They have an earlier album too called "Curb" which is due for re-issue.
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2001
If you don't know Nickelback then let me summarise: A Canadian four-piece band originating from Vancouver, churning out melodic HARD rock, that with the imminent release of their third album are being touted as the next Staind. And I can tell you that's all true.
For those of you out there that can't stop playing superb tracks from Staind like "Fade", "Its Been Awhile", and "Outside" then Nickelback won't dissapoint. Similarly to Staind their lyrics are personal and painful, but they're not some cheap imitation band, their previous album: "The State" is also brilliant. Released last year, its been an underground success in the UK (about 5,000 of you out there know just how good), and is worth buying.
But back to "Silver Side Up". This album blows "The State" away. From the first video/radio friendly track: "How You Remind Me" to the simmering rage of "Just For" as in I WANT TO TAKE HIS EYES OUT "JUST FOR" LOOKING AT YOU (the best song on the album by the way). Other standout tracks are "Too Bad" and if you like your Rock guitar heavier then there's "Hollywood", "Never Again", and "Woke up This Morning". Altogether an incredibly consistent album put together with a lot of care, these guys obviously aren't messing around, they're determined to break this album worldwide. In fact, if I had to choose, I'd say "Silver Side Up" was consistently better overall than Staind's "Break The Cycle".
Now to the big question. Worth buying on import? Roadrunner are planning a UK release which (fingers crossed) will be this side of Christmas. No doubt, if they get their marketing and promotion right then Nickelback could storm the Album's Chart much like Staind did. But who cares:
a) This album is too good to wait for, its worth the import price; and
b) do you want to listen to great music now or follow the sheep to the Chart inyour local Our Price in two months time?
on 24 February 2002
I have never bothered to review anything before but I was so impressed with this album that I felt I had to put my comments here.
I used to listen to groups such as Whitesnake, Ted Nugent, AC/DC etc but in more recent years stopped listening to rock/heavy metal (call it what you will) as it started to move to more grunge and thrash orientated.
This album and group has re-kindled my interest in the rock seen. It is well produced, has instruments that are actually played well, good vocals & lyrics.
I would recommend this to anyone who thinks that in recent years rock has lost its way.