Jimmy Eat World
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 September 2001
This band has been threatening greatness for two albums and has finally come up with their undeniable masterpiece. While 'Static Prevails' and 'Clarity' were both excellent albums, there was something missing, the something that avoids all other efforts and only makes it into a truly classic piece of work. What that something is, I will probably never know but 'Bleed American' has it in droves.
It is at once both hard-edged and punky while still retaining the soft approach, deftly executed, that has served them so well in the past. While the record holds on to the distinctive sound that they had created, a sort of funny hybrid between emo-rock, punk and pure, unashamed pop, there is a new element at work here. It is hard to put a finger on what is different because the tracks are very much moulded in the shape of their previous incarnations but an overriding confidence and assuredness seems to add another element. You just have to press play on the first track and hear the first riff strike you like shock treatment to know what i am talking about. The title track is an anthem, a classic and it paves the way for an outpouring of other brilliantly envisioned and honed tracks that will remain in your head and no doubt in your stereo for weeks, months, years. The second track, 'A Praise Chorus' is toned down slightly but still retains a punk sound rapped in a beautiful bed of fuzzy emo-rock quitar. The refrain is magnificent, awe-inspiring. The genius does not let up. 'Middle' is another anthemic track that is so catchy it cannot be real. Will the barrage of quality tunes never end? No! 'Your house' follows, a ballad. If it was possible for a song to physically glitter, this one would. It is both immediately hook laden and subversively sweeping, mixing a soft, punk-like verse ('You tear my heart right out') with an uplifting chorus that is both cliched and formidable. 'Sweetness' follows and I'm afraid that you have to listen to it to actually appreciate the pure genius that it encapsulates. It is one of the best songs I have ever heard. 'Hear you me' is a more conventional ballad that is slow and uninteresting at first but, after a couple of listens, grabs you and pulls you into its ephemereal excellence.
What follows next are two tracks that are typical J.E.W. 'If you don't don't' and 'Get it faster' are about as run-of-the mill as you are likely to get on 'Bleed American' yet they are two extremely well devised pop tunes. 'The Cautioners' comes next and it is another ballad, much like 'Hear you me', and acts in much the same way. It's a grower but one worth the wait. 'Authority Song' is my favourite track on an album of favourite tracks. Suffice it to say, it is another song that has to be listened to to appreciate fully. In fact the whole damn album is unbelievable and must be bought. Oh, and the final track, 'Sundown', is also great, of course.
I am now a J.E.W. fan. I have only just bought 'Bleed American' and subsequently purchased the other albums quite rapidly afterwards. I have not been a fan since their beginnings so I believe I am not as bias as I could be perceived as being. I enjoy great rock music and this is one of the best rock albums I have EVER heard. This is one of those albums that will stay in my collection for years, it's energy and poignancy will never fade.
Everybody needs to hear 'Bleed American'. You must obey.
on 12 November 2017
Decent set of songs with the one outstanding track
on 8 July 2013
Put a lower rating on due to the CD being scratched on a few tracks making them unlistenable. The holders in the CD case were broken when I received it but didn't think much of it. It was a couple of weeks before I listened to it and then I found the scratch. Not 100% happy !
on 23 March 2003
It's not hard to see, after hearing this album, how assering themselves as a leading band in the category dubbed 'Emo' or to us normal people alternative rock (emotion always behind it whether it be happy or sad). It leads straight in with "Salt Sweat Sugar" (previously "Bleed American") a fresh mix of vocals with power chords and strong backing vocals which continue to provide a unique 'Jimmy Eat World' sound for the rest of the album.
A great introductory album to the band showing off their range from the soft, heart-warming "Hear You Me" to the heavier "Get It Faster" and the more often mix of fulfilling lyrics and strong music such as "Sweetness" and "A Praise Chorus". The whole album is enjoyable and obvioulsy a lot of work has gone behind the album, it was released with the intention of grabbing a strong fanbase (outside the US). After listening to this album i advise you work your way back through the albums as they show a lot stronger side of the band which isn't as mainstream.
The mixing is tremendous and the album flows perfectly with that right mix of heavy and soft, making it easy listening from start to finish taking you through different moods, different sounds, but always powerful music form Jimmy Eat World. It all goes rushing toward the fantastic "My Sundown" which perfectly finishes off the album, the album had a massive appeal to me when i first listened (having just lost a love (sic)) but even after it still has a great appeal and it is not just for the emotive types.
on 22 October 2016
The album that introduced me to the majesty of Jimmy Eat World! I wont do a breakdown of each song, that has been done extensively! Needless to say every song is outstanding and never gets old for me! Not my favourite album of theirs (Futures will always be, to me, absolute perfection) but part of the trio of albums which solidified J.E.W as my favourite bands (clarity/bleed america/futures). A must have for any music collection. And buy the physical CD, this is something to hand down to grand children!
on 26 July 2011
Having only recently started listening to Jimmy Eat World, it doesn't change the fact they have quickly become one of my very favourite bands!

"Clarity" was my first Jimmy album, and despite initially leaving me cold, it slowly transformed into one of those rare albums that stop you right in your tracks, dumbfounded, leaving you not only speechless, but certain that music will never, ever sound the same to you again...

But that was "Clarity". After that album, I decided to take a bold risk, and splash my cash all over their back catalogue, from the raw, passionate "Static Prevails" to the magnificent, ridiculously under appreciated "Invented". Not one of them falls below 4-Star status, a triumph in my eyes!

This brings us now to "Bleed American". Believe it or not, until I purchased this album, I had never heard any of these songs (not even the big singles, like "The Middle" or "Salt Sweat Sugar"). However, I had heard a rough demo version of "Sweetness", from the 2007 re release of "Clarity", and to be honest, I still prefer that older version.

A rare album, one that is instantly catchy but still a grower, the true quality of this album reveals itself, much like "Clarity", only after repeated listening. There is more to this album than sugary melody. What it is I cannot define, but Mary Poppins herself would recognise "Bleed American" as nothing else but "Pretty Much Perfect".

For example, "A Praise Chorus" is mesmerising, a wonderful pop song with a jolly hard rock undertone, it spins out a fantastic chorus that on its own would be classy in its own right. Then, about halfway through, the song breaks down with a joyfully over the top sing a long moment. "Crimson, and Clover, over...and over..." These words will be stuck inside your head for days and weeks afterwards!

"Get It Faster" is another highlight, with the albums finest display of quiet/loud dynamics. Imagine "Nevermind" era Nirvana covering "Blue" era Weezer, and you get the picture. Though this comparison is not to take away from the fact that this is still a distinctly Jimmy flavoured classic.

The well known singles "Bleed American/Salt Sweat Sugar", "The Middle" and "Sweetness" are all amongst the catchiest hits you could ever wish to hear, but again, the depth of not only the melodies, but the lyrics too, ensure that you will never tire of listening to them. Special mention must go to "The Middle", one of the happiest anti-bullying songs ever released, and a magnificent crowd pleaser in its own right.

Every other song is perfect, so I see no reason to give a track by track summary of an album I rate 4.9 at the lowest. But further attention must be payed, in my humble opinion, to "Cautioners", "Your House" and "The Authority Song". But, as I said, this is an all round classic album.

Overlook this masterpiece, and you will miss something special.

_______________________

The 2008 Deluxe Edition features over 20 bonus tracks. If you are interested in purchasing this version, take note that there are only a handful of tracks worth this particular purchase if you are a Jimmy newbie: "(Splash) Turn Twist", "Firestarter" and the exemplary "Your House 2007". Of the three, my personal favourite is "(Splash)..." because its absolutely amazing! End of, its one of my top Jimmy songs ever.

Other notable songs are as follows:

"The Most Beautiful Things"
"No Sensitivity"
("No Sensitivity" is another great track, and should have been on "Bleed American", no doubts about it. "The Most..." is merely okay, not too exciting or memorable (though some may kill me for saying this, so I could be wrong!) They both feature on the not exactly hard to find "Singles" compilation, as a 2-disc set with the bonus JEW/Jebediah split EP. You are better off buying that release, because the whole song collection is frankly quite essential.)

"Firestarter". A slow cover of The Prodigy "classic". It is ok, if only as a reminder that Jimmy write their own, far superior slowburning anthems (although points should be added for pulling off a slowed down version of this song, and for making it somehow work).

"Softer (live)". It is live. You are better off purchasing the self titled EP from 1999 for a few quid which featured this in its original form. It was written around the time of "Clarity", making it quietly essential.

"Game Of Pricks". Not really something worth spending your hard earned cash. I can't remember a single note of it, and I never heard the original version of this song at all.

"Last Christmas"- sweet cover of the Wham! hit single. I like how they changed the melody subtly in the chorus. But again: nothing too special, but I do quite like it!

"Spangle"- an essential Jimmy song, but it appears on the album "Singles", and that is more important. This is another cover, but for the life of me I can't remember who originally performed this song.

The rest are alternate/live versions of the album tracks. None of them are essential (though I like "The Middle" acoustic and the "My Sundown" demo). In short, aside from a couple of very hard to find songs, you are better off finding the better bonus tracks through other releases, unless you consider yourself a mega Jimmy fan and so must own everything the band ever released.

So there we have it:

5/5 for "Bleed American"
4/5 for the Deluxe Edition.

I think these are fair ratings.

On a side note, the Deluxe Edition does come with wonderful artwork, and the original title restored. "Bleed American" was re-titled to simply "Jimmy Eat World" after the 9/11 attacks on New York. Glad to have it back!
on 18 March 2013
I couldn't believe someone gave this album one star. IT's pure brilliance. From the first song which is the title track, it draws you in with the catchy EVERYTHING! Although every track is great, I must digress on the ones which are brilliant, being The Middle and Sweetness for starters. I think the easiest way of describe it is that it's just so catchy and addictive with the heartfelt lyrics amongst much more, but on th@ bomb shell it's If You Don't, Don't, Cautioners and My sundown which will get you hooked before you even finish the first listen. When you get to the last song, you'll probably feel liberated and inspired to live. Completely brilliant album in just about every aspect. Any one band who can communicate and play songs this well define full blown professionals. You need this band in your life. Also, don't just tell all your friends, buy three of four copies and give the spares to your closest friends.
on 28 November 2003
Its one of those albums you listen to once and then find it impossible to stop listening to. I have been a fan since Clarity and loved it for what it was, an emo masterpiece, but Bleed American is something more. It starts off with the loud, fast and hard title track and from there takes you to nearly every emotion possible with each subsequent track. Every song is a classic, you will quickly find your favourite, mine is "Hear You Me" or "The Middle" depending on my mood but this album always seems to lighten my mood and get rid of any stress. "The Middle" has one of the best guitar solos I've heard in a long time and the way "Get It Faster" builds up from nothing to raw emotion and guitar riffs is great.
In short this is one of the albums that should be in any music fans record collection who appreciates great music. A masterpiece in the overcrowded pop and rock music genre.
on 23 March 2003
It's not hard to see, after hearing this album, how asserting themselves as a leading band in the category dubbed 'Emo' or to us normal people alternative rock (emotion always behind it whether it be happy or sad). It leads straight in with "Salt Sweat Sugar" (previously "Bleed American") a fresh mix of vocals with power chords and strong backing vocals which continue to provide a unique 'Jimmy Eat World' sound for the rest of the album.
A great introductory album to the band showing off their range from the soft, heart-warming "Hear You Me" to the heavier "Get It Faster" and the more often mix of fulfilling lyrics and strong music such as "Sweetness" and "A Praise Chorus". The whole album is enjoyable and obviously a lot of work has gone behind the album, it was released with the intention of grabbing a strong fan base (outside the US). After listening to this album i advise you work your way back through the albums as they show a lot stronger side of the band which isn't as mainstream.
The mixing is tremendous and the album flows perfectly with that right mix of heavy and soft, making it easy listening from start to finish taking you through different moods, different sounds, but always powerful music form Jimmy Eat World. It all goes rushing toward the fantastic "My Sundown" which perfectly finishes off the album, the album had a massive appeal to me when i first listened to it . it still has a great appeal and it is not just for the emotive types.
on 29 June 2005
I recently discovered Jimmy Eat World after the song My Sundown played on one of my favourite TV shows. I bought this album and am really impressed with the band and the variation of different sounds on the album is stunning. My Sundown is a slow, ballad which sounds like a spring morning and makes me smile everytime I hear it and I was almost expecting the rest of the album to continue in that vain. I was wrong.......but not in a bad way. The album is rock music at it's finest - both loud rock (Bleed American), sing along rock (The Middle), pop rock (If You Don't, Don't) and soft rock (Hear You Me) music feature alongside one another and create an album so beautiful and varied I am positive everyone can find at least one song on it which they love.
Emo is the genre the band want to be placed in and in this album they certainly create emotion through their music with a wonderful complilation of songs for everyone to love and enjoy.
If you want to try Jimmy Eat World I would personally start with Futures, their more recent album which I love even more, but Bleed American is a terrific album for any mood.