TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 June 2007
I have to admit, I didn't come to Nerina's work straightaway. Although I haven't got her second album, FIRES, reviews of it suggest that it could be as good, if not better than DEAR FRUSTRATED SUPERSTAR. What finally made me decide to buy her debut album was that someone said she created great acoustic piano tracks. In a sense, this is not what you get on DEAR FRUSTRATED SUPERSTAR. The songs have more orchestration than I was expecting, but this is not necessarily a bad thing.

There is no doubt that Nerina has the potential to become a huge star. Although, it would be interesting to know why, after this debut, her record company dropped her. I understand this happened? After listening to the album, I cannot understand why they would do this.

Others have compared Nerina to Tori Amos, Joni Mitchell, Sheryl Crow etc. While I can see where some of these come from (Tori plays piano, so does Nerina!), I think people reading the reviews should not get too concerned with these comparisons - to a large extent, they are going to be relative to the people making them.

Something that perhaps draws Nerina into such pools of comparison is the range of themes that are examined within her songs. Love in all its many faces is, of course, included but there is a fair bit of religion thrown in for good measure. With tracks like "Daily Bread", "Blood is Blood" and "God" being the obvious ones.

For myself, the best of the songs are "God" (please do not compare this to Tori Amos's song by the same name - Tori's is vastly different, in my opinion), "Jump" (which is a greatly cynical song about relationships and how far some are willing to go for the other), "Blood is Blood", "My Last Tango" and "Daphne and Apollo".

This album is one which requires repeated listens before the greatness of it hits you. It shows great promise for her second album . . . In fact, it will probably not be long before I go off and get that too.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 June 2012
This is a quite different album from all of her later work.Easy going, easy listening, the harmonies and tones of Nerina's soothing voice take you through a whole hour+ of thoughtful themes and fine melodies and ballads. Many of the songs are quite long, but time never drags. This early album is in every way better than all of her later work, and youthful energy carries it all along, outweighing any touches of negativity. It certainly makes for a pleasant and restfull hour of music. There is a lovely slow song near the end, but really there is not a bad song to be found. Worth a speculative purchase, you should not be dissapointed with this. Has to be her best work. Love it!
on 12 June 2007
Nerina Pallot was loved by Radio 2 and this was the album of the week on that station but she was still dropped by her recording label - the question must be why?

Could they not see the obvious promise of her songs?

Did they want this very pretty lady to sell out and become more poppy?

I believe it was the latter and she had some integrity as her follow up album shows. Under the normal girl angst there are some deep lyrics looking amongst other things at the human condition "God" or falling for the wrong type of man "Jump" and many others. I do not believe it is the job of a reviewer to rate each song but just to say that I found some worth in all of them.

Well worth a listen.
One person found this helpful
on 29 July 2017
JUST GETTING TO KNOW THIS BEAUTIFUL SINGER - SHADES OF MANY OTHER FEMALE SINGERS HERE .
BUT IN HER OWN RIGHT A GOOD SINGER SONG WRITER
VINE VOICEon 7 November 2009
Fantastic - I love her unique sound. I am not sure if this album is as good as "Fires", but it is a close run thing. I say "unique" but there is a bit of Tori Amos in there. Watch out though - she has a tendancy for occasional swearing in her lyrics, so don't put it on when your kids are around!
on 3 February 2017
LOVED IT
|0Comment|Report abuse
excellent service & as described well done
on 8 April 2014
she needs to find her direction,,, country blues or real jazz,, better producer , and more visibility,, not much else to say,, hope she makes it
|44 Comments|Report abuse
on 6 June 2012
This was second album I bought by Nerina Pallot. Again I played it in the car for months! This album has some fantastic tracks, my favourite being: Patience, Daily Bread, Rainbow and Blood is Blood. However, all of the tracks on this album are excellent and they have there is an amazing range of sounds, from the upbeat Watch Out Billy to the very beautiful My Last Tango. I would strongly recommend this album.
on 23 September 2014
For me not quite as good as Fires but still good with some great tracks