Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change
Price:£19.23+ £1.26 shipping

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 December 2016
Stunning blu ray disc, highly recommended restored version, end credits detail the process. Although I watched in 120” projection screen you could watch it on a hand-held device if you can listen to the astonishing soundtrack through a good pair of earbuds. Never a dull moment.

I write this review wondering what I’m going to remember of the film. The chicks on a conveyor belt, tattoos like you have never seen at your local scratch parlour are two that immediately come to mind. Above all it is the human face that reminds me how individual we all are. The smile, of course, is often cited as the only true human characteristic amongst the whole animal kingdom. But what other animal can say each example has a different looking face? Just a thought.

Humanity’s lowest point is also filmed. When the people of Germany were convinced by their government that millions, millions, millions of people were not German and needed to be killed, this brought-on their industrialised murder ending in the gas chamber. The horror of government without mercy. The authority of power. Social blindness.

There is plenty of humour in this film. Plenty of colour. Lots and lots of religion. Religion so often seems to me to be something to do. Something to fill-in the spaces. And keep people together in the process. Plenty of interesting juxtapositions. As someone fascinated by the making of movies I gained a great deal from the original use of sound and vision. Not one word is spoken.

(price often dips down to 9.98 for an Amazon buy).
on 17 October 2009
I will not go in depth of describing the qualities of these films, as this has been done by many people before me and probably in a much more coherent and descriptive way.

However, I will say that although the films were shot quite a number of years ago, they are as necessary today as they were when they were shot.

Please watch these films, but also please take your time and just immerse yourself in what these films show. The imagery is stunning, and some of the things that you realise about the world, about other people, about yourself are just unique.

Along with the Qatsi trilogy, they stand as landmarks in the history of film-making, creating a genre of their own and being the grandfathers of a lot of films you see today (such as the recent film "HOME", available on YouTube).
on 4 January 2015
I was interested in this as it was advertised as a more ambitious version of the superb Koyaanisqatsi & Powaqqatsi films which I think are excellent and so well designed and produced. Baraka & Chronos, although visually stunning in some parts just don't cut the mustard in the way those earlier films do though. They lack the superb and wonderfully synchronised Philip Glass soundtrack and without that they become a rather weak spinoff of the original as far as I see. If you would like to see 'Scientific American' images on video then this is it, but if you are looking for great stuff, stick with the originals.
on 6 January 2016
Stunning visual but be warned, there is no commentary which spoiled it for me as I didn't know where the places were, or what they were doing. For me, that is the whole point of a documentary. However, this is stunning scenery and beautifully filmed. So if you are okay without the commentary you would love it.
on 14 June 2017
Beautiful and mesmerising visually and musically; left viewers thoughtful and excited with sharing what came up for them.
on 16 July 2017
Excellent - can be a little dragging at times.
on 27 October 2014
Baraka is one of those flims that stay with you. I remember seeing this briefly around 10 years ago on TV. I did not forget it but hadn't come across it in order to view it again. I'm glad Amazon Prime gave me the chace to peer into the world beyond my vision.
on 16 March 2017
Wonderful photography
on 21 January 2016
Visually stunning. Thought provoking. Subversive. I was a fan of this style in the 80's.
on 12 September 2017