VINE VOICEon 29 July 2010
Bought this for my 2 year old as a bit of a rebellion against the brightly coloured, loud, fast moving children's tv show around at the moment. I wasn't entirely sure what she'd think of it as it is so different to anything that's around today. But, since the dvd popped through the door it hasn't left the player, she absolutely adores it. The dvd is simple, no added extras or special menus but you wouldn't want or expect that from a release like this. The series is nicely paced for small children, the stories are interesting and surreal but in a way that appeals to even very young children. And of course there is the added bonus that the theme tune makes me smile and if I have to watch it it doesn't drive me insane! It's more old fashioned than I remembered it being, you can see the strings on the puppets, that sort of thing but it all adds to the charm. I think this is a must for all parents driven to distraction by current offerings.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 March 2013
Although the production for this series was low key and the budget small, Button moon delivers in every sense. The acting is superb, the scripts fantastic and the setting is nostalgic. The narrator captures the mood in a way that will bring a tear to your eye, setting the scene and tone for such epic stories as not seen on modern television since The Ten Commandments or Cleopatra.
The special effects were way ahead of their time, reminding me of the first time i watched Blade Runner and Star Wars.
The moonscape is beyond compare. The inside of Mr Spoons space craft looks like CGI was used but of course it didn't exist back when this was crafted
I hope there will be a remake on the cards, Anthony Hopkins would be perfect for Mr Spoon with Maggie Smith his wife (i think hugh Grant could get a cameo in one form or another).
I have looked at other sci-fi, but the starwars prequals, Aliens or Promethious do not even come close.
2 people found this helpful
on 31 July 2011
I bought this dvd for my Grandson when he was 15 months old (but secretly for me as well - I remember spending many a happy hour watching Button Moon on telly with my 2 daughters in the 80's. It's a brilliant trip to the past ). At the time he was into 'mixing' with a wooden spoon and a mixing bowl, and he loved his mummy's hoover and umbrella - all of which were there on the dvd in abundance! He thought he was in heaven, bless him, and would have watched re-runs all day long if we'd let him! He still likes to watch it occasionally, in between his Superman amd Spiderman dvd's (he's 2 and a half now). He now has a baby brother who, I'm sure, will love it just as much when he is a little older!
3 people found this helpful
on 14 July 2015
What a dope I am. I bought this for my grandson, only for my son to tell me that I had already bought him a copy last year. Dohhhh!
Anyway, we all love Button Moon don't we? One day when the kids were small, I told my son that my daughter and I had been to Button Moon whilst he was at school. (mean mum) - he cried, bless him cos he had wanted to go too. His son now loves it as much as he did!!!!
One person found this helpful
on 21 November 2016
My older sisters were brought up with button moon when it was on TV. They had recorded it on VHS for my brother and I so we could watch it. Now VHS is gone, I needed a copy of the dvd to show it to my toddler.

Thrilled to see Amazon has just that. Now my little one gets to enjoy Mr Spoon too.
on 8 December 2014
I used to put this on the tv for my children when they were little, I didn't realise how amateurish the production was until I bought the video, this is not a bad reflection on the actual video, as it good quality and very clear, in fact it shows all the mistakes made during making of the programme. But, the kids didn't mind it then and my 2 yr granddaughter loves it. Makes a change from Peppa Pig!
on 22 May 2016
I went to see Button Moon live approximately 20 years ago.

When it came time to buy stocking fillers for my (then 1.5 year old) daughter there was only one logical choice. And yes.... it is as good as you remember.

What are you waiting for? BUY!
on 7 January 2018
My children absolutely loved this DVD and now my grandchildren are loving it as well
It’s a classic and should come back on the tele .
on 19 January 2011
My son (2.5 yrs) loves this show. I love the inventive low-tech production, which is so much more creative than the current sterile, too-busy, rapid-fire computer animation garbage on broadcast/cable. (Which we do not have, thankfully.) The story-within-the-story is a fun element to keep the little ones' attention.

I also enjoy hearing Peter Davidson (All Creatures Great & Small, Doctor Who, Campion, & etc.)and Sandra Dickenson (Hitchhiker's Guide) on the title music. 1980 was a busy year for them!

Would love to see more children's programming like these older programs!

Thank you to Amazon.UK for sending a replacement shipment when the first never arrived! It would be helpful if there could be some way to track international shipments.
on 21 September 2012
Although I never watched Button Moon as a kid I like the series and find it very enjoyable in a quirky sort of way.
The wife and I are both big fans of Paddington Bear and we discovered Button Moon and Huxley Pig from the previews on a PB video.

Judging by all the Button Moon merchandise that abounds in today's marketplace you are left scratching your head and wondering why haven't all the 80 some-odd episodes of this ultra-cute series been released in a Box-set on DVD?

I just don't get it...like Thames TV laboriously produced an endless pile of cheap videocassettes in the 80's and 90's and now they put as little as 3 short episodes on a DVD?? C'mon blokes, the episodes are less than 10 mins long... you can do better than this!

Meanwhile, if you want more Button Moon you have dubious choices -- used tape bins, ex-rentals or worse...dodgy auction sellers selling "collectibles".

5 stars for the brilliant Button Moon series!

0 stars for Thames Television until they become serious.
One person found this helpful