Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 June 2002
I only came across this album by accident, a friend at a local radio station knew of my love of Mr Big and being a bassist myself had also heard me sound off about how great Billy Sheehan was. I didnt even know this album existed and when I got it home I was suprised, the style was very different from that which I had expected and after a couple of listens I cast the CD to a draw. Somehow though I kept coming back to it- which is a sign that Im going to fall in love with an album, its how I got into Dream Theater, the three stages- disappointment, compulsion and eventually love and joy (you can tell Im a musician, I really should be reserving that kind of thing for my girlfriend).
This really is a fantastic album, bass heavy, funky and groovy but somehow it rocks too. It has its mellow moments 'What once was..' being notable, while 'Chameleon' is a stand out track, with a guest appearance from the unmistakable Steve Vai. It's not like anything Ive heard before but the quality and style in which the bass is played means that you just know Billy Sheehan is back.
Id heartily reccomend this- buy it, listen, and if it doesnt do it for you just leave it there by the CD player. I can guarantee you that one day you'll put it back in and wonder why it was ever taken out in the first place.
Sheehan does know how to impress! Its a lot heavier than i was expecting. And with fantastic drumming from Terry Bozio in the opening tracks, it really adds a rockier feel to it! And none of his cheesey high pitched singing like his earlier stuff. Also with an apperance from the master himself Steve Vai, it really makes this album very good!
on 18 January 2007
Great album, every track cracking with brilliant bass sound and melody exploration inside mostly rock modality. The tracks with Vai and Bozzio are lush - Sheehan knows how to bring the bass sound out with muscle, energy, superb rhythms, deadly metal grunge density/intensity and of course, pyrotechnic/impossible speeds which are equally applied to his 12 and 6 string guitar playing. Lyrics are interesting but not exceptional - but frankly, who cares? It's all about the music - and there are plenty of cleverly crafted layers of intrigue in the instrumental arrangement - reminds me of another awesome bass player's stunning solo album - Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones 'Zooma' - but Sheehan can continuously deliver speed of light licks that celebrate the bass sound which can match the brilliance of the other instruments/instrumentalists in a way that only Tony Levin (that other incredible bass player) knows how to. And of course, lots of romantic feel throughout - pop it into the car cd player and go for a very long drive through your favourite landscape and dream in a sea of passion and power...